We are back from our trip. There have been more posts to my question but for some reason I wasn't notified by e mail. Anyway here are some of my pros and cons of turnpike and 27 North.
1. Almost $50.00 one way.
2. The highway is very rough for the amount of money paid to drive on it.
3. Full of idiots in a hurry trying to text and drive.
2. Ease of getting off and on for fuel/rest breaks.
3. Hard to get turned around.
When we left the keys we turned left on Krome Ave in Homestead, that intersected 27. We traveled 27 to 35 ending in silver springs then taking I75 to I10
Hwy 27 Pros
1. First half of the drive on a Sat morning was actually very nice very little traffic.
2. Road was actually better than the turnpike.
3. Easy to find fuel and places to stop.
4. Fuel was cheaper!
5. Better views of the state.
1. At least half the trip is four to six lanes of stop and go traffic with idiots wanting to race to each red light
2. Takes considerably longer.
3. Burned more fuel, 12MPG vs 14.5 MPG.
We did enjoy the trip and learned a lot, esp in silver springs. Did you know that there is Silver Springs rv Resort, The Springs rv Resort and Silver Springs State Park times two? One has RV parking one doesn't Our GPS was totally confused and took us to the wrong place the first night. We will stay at the State Park the next trip. The other plus is it's right off of Highway 35. We actually liked this park to the point of planning a trip there.
Anyway each to their own. I will always be open to suggestions for traveling in FL and their parks. They always seem to be maintained and us military retirees get a break.