First long trip - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
First long trip

We are planning our first long trip in a few weeks. When we travel to the FL Keys we usually take the turnpike for convenience and time saving. Since we know it will take longer now we are looking at other routes. We are planning to stay at Silver springs the second night.

Question is anyone have information about taking US 27 South from Silver Springs to Highway 1 and Overseas Highway?

snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We enjoyed Silver Springs State Park and the glass bottom boat ride there. No campground in the state park though. We have run route 27 from near Lake Okeechobee north and found no problem with it. Have not been on it south of route 80. Route 27 goes through some towns, but we thought it was a nice ride.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Mississippi
Trip

Silver Springs state park now say they have rv parking but we are staying in Silver Springs rv park. It's about 8 miles off of 75 close to 27.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Does that mean overnight parking? When we were there last year we just visited the park for a few hours and did the boat ride. We were towing our Casita and there was a very large parking lot with plenty of room. Didn't see anything about overnight parking. We were on our way to Salt Springs campground, which was nice. Official name may be Salt Springs Recreational Area, it's in the Ocala National Forest.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

New York
If where you are staying is the park I'm thinking of, there is a great candy store right outside the entrance.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

Mississippi
State park

I called yesterday was told that the state park did now have rv parking. I looked the number up on the FL state park list, called the park.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

Mississippi
Silver Springs

State Park number, yes they have RV campsites.

352-236-7148

Park ranger also commented that sometimes when people call that have never been there the ranger or reserve America will comment they don't have rv parking meaning they are full.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: Shari
Trailer: Boler 13 77
Florida
US 27

There are some interesting towns on US 27, it is a good highway. Highlands Hammock SP in Sebring is nice c.g. Lake Placid is the calladium capital the fields of calladia are a site to see! The town murals are interesting also. Definitely a taste of "Old Florida" in that area.
Sharylmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #9

New York
Jim, something new to learn every day; I looked on Reserve America and found a site map of the Silver Springs State Park campground. It is accessed off a different road than the park area where the boat rides are so we never saw the campground area or knew it was there. The boat ride area was quite interesting, and we were told it once was a privately owned amusement park that was heading for bankruptcy after DisneyWorld opened. The state bought it and operates it now.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
We stayed at Silver Springs SP last March. Was a good 2 night stay going from St. Augustine down to Collier-Seminole on the southwest Florida coast. Yes, the SP campgrounds are 3-5 miles from the recreation area with glass bottom boats, falling down roller coasters and parking area. State bought the old amusement park and is repurposing it a bit. The RV part , where we stayed, was quite nice. Has a section with primitive historical buldings and tours that are open a few days a week, some wonderful hiking trails (open to bikes) and a population of monkeys where the trail meets the river. Very quiet campground with large spaces, great baths, and outdoor laundry. If you want to relax, its a great place
Adirondack Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #11

New York
I don't like monkeys !! The story on them is that the park owner got the monkeys, put them on an island and figured they would be confined there. He failed to realize that they could swim so most left the island. We were told that we may see monkeys, and that they can be aggressive, but we never did see any. Didn't see the falling down roller coaster either. Did see The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the area where they filmed some Sea Hunt episodes.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Georgia
Oranges

I remember many years ago smelling the sweet aroma of oranges as they were being made into orange juice in factories along hwy 27!
waynef5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #13

New York
We saw many truckloads of oranges on route 27, but never smelled the juice. We also saw the smoke from the sugar cane fields burning and the ash falling like snow.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #14

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21 'on order'
Tennessee
places on way to So FL??

We have stayed at St Andrews SP very near Panama City Beach this past May..nice spot and good beach. Be sure to feed the tame coon family @ the breakwater, near the pass!! Really a hoot!! 10 min to PCB but feels like wilderness.

Also spent a week at TH Stone SP on Cape San Blas in July..wet wet wet wet. Might be nicer & dryer by now. Nice beach but one am 4 mosquitoes were tryign to lift the tongue of my TT ;-) About 40 min to Pt St Joe so stock up on chow unless U like paying Camp Store Prices LOL
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
We take US27 by preference over I75, I 275, or the Turnpike. Travel North from Lake Placid, FL several times a year.US301 also runs NE from the Manatee River to Starke. There are wonderful mom n pop restaurants, Piggly Wiggly foodstores, and I find myself NOT freaking out.
I 75 near Gainesville is full of idiots with lead feet. I found myself tearing downthe highway at 80 mph because you are surrounded by packs of cars and trucks doing the same. Visibility sucks. My Lil Snoozy got squirelly at speeds over 75 mph. I have taken charge of the maps and route us around the Interstates. When we evacuated for Irma last year we took US 27/Us301 County Rd 100 and there were open gas stations still selling gas, groceries, and mom n pop motels that still had rooms to let. Meanwhile, a mile away on the interstate, traffic was set at a crawl and services exhausted.

US 27 from Orlando Metro Area to Clermont is beautiful old rolling hills that are rapidly building out. Yes, lots of traffic lights but nobody is driving 80 mph. North of the Gainseville area US 27 branches off to travel west. Meanwhile US 17 crosses the peninsula to become a north -south artery near the GA coastline.
US 27 jogs SE at the south end of Lake Okeechobee and offers a long 4-6 lane highway to Broward County, the home of built up skyscrapers and all of the disadvantages of city living and non of the advantages.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Similar to above, I avoid the turnpike as much as I can. Yes, the turnpike will be faster for sure. But if you are not in a hurry, avoid. Sebring and Lake Okeechobee to be both worth it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #17

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21 'on order'
Tennessee
off the interstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Similar to above, I avoid the turnpike as much as I can. Yes, the turnpike will be faster for sure. But if you are not in a hurry, avoid. Sebring and Lake Okeechobee to be both worth it.
YUP we go to panhandle area of FL by way of 231 mostly..HATE THE INTERSTATES. Came home from Big S Fork this week as much as possible on back roads..see real Americana too not the rear end of 18 wheelers.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #18

Mississippi
Back home.

We are back from our trip. There have been more posts to my question but for some reason I wasn't notified by e mail. Anyway here are some of my pros and cons of turnpike and 27 North.

Turnpike cons
1. Almost $50.00 one way.
2. The highway is very rough for the amount of money paid to drive on it.
3. Full of idiots in a hurry trying to text and drive.

Turnpike pros
1. Faster
2. Ease of getting off and on for fuel/rest breaks.
3. Hard to get turned around.

When we left the keys we turned left on Krome Ave in Homestead, that intersected 27. We traveled 27 to 35 ending in silver springs then taking I75 to I10

Hwy 27 Pros

1. First half of the drive on a Sat morning was actually very nice very little traffic.
2. Road was actually better than the turnpike.
3. Easy to find fuel and places to stop.
4. Fuel was cheaper!
5. Better views of the state.

Cons
1. At least half the trip is four to six lanes of stop and go traffic with idiots wanting to race to each red light.
2. Takes considerably longer.
3. Burned more fuel, 12MPG vs 14.5 MPG.

We did enjoy the trip and learned a lot, esp in silver springs. Did you know that there is Silver Springs rv Resort, The Springs rv Resort and Silver Springs State Park times two? One has RV parking one doesn't Our GPS was totally confused and took us to the wrong place the first night. We will stay at the State Park the next trip. The other plus is it's right off of Highway 35. We actually liked this park to the point of planning a trip there.

Anyway each to their own. I will always be open to suggestions for traveling in FL and their parks. They always seem to be maintained and us military retirees get a break.