First nights aboard... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hey all... We're back from our first 3 nights of camping in our Scamp. I can't decide whether I should think of it as the first camping trip of the year or the last! We stayed in Christine's parent's yard near Flathead Lake; it's more like a campground than a lot of campgrounds... beautiful pine trees, pitch black nights with blazing stars, and coyotes howling in the distance. The house was packed with visiting family and we needed a place to stay, so Egg Power to the rescue!

Initial observations:

We picked up a small electric heater at Target, hoping it would be enough to keep us from freezing and it did great... actually had to turn it down at one point because it was just too darn hot! We ended up with it running about one minute out of every 10 minutes. Considering that it was about 25 outside, not too bad. Our tent camper would not have faired as well, to put it mildly...

The bed is... ahem... small. We're king size bed users in our house, and have always occupied both ends of the tent camper, so the Scamp bed will take some getting used to. We put a 1.5" memory foam topper on it, but I'm thinking the key will be to put at least 4" on to make it really cozy....compensate for lack of width with brute snugglyliciousness!

It was fun to take family members on the tour... my brother-in-law is already talking about getting one!

Here she is decked out in holiday finery:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp_02.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5783
Matthew Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
...[b]snugglyliciousness!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #3

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi Matthew,

Your climate is quite similar to ours.....do you have any snow on the ground? Your Scamp did very well for the temps and they are very comfortable and warm.

Isn't it nice to have your own special space.

Greetings from Canada

Brenda Novakovski
Saskatoon, SK
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Sounds like a great and safe first outing!

These things warm up quite quickly..it's the small cubicular round footage! I have had mine as low as 18 degrees outside and still kept warm with a cube heater.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #5

Hey all... just got back. We went up and stayed last night after I posted this. Yes indeed we had snow on the ground but just a bit. I wish more Montana campgrounds had electric sites because the little cube heater worked great. Our Scamp has a Suburban furnace in it that the previous owners never turned on, but its location in the trailer doesn't thrill me. We might have to go the Wave 3 route and reclaim that part of the galley cabinet for storage...

It was so cool to have our own little house "next door". At dinner time we were short on wine glasses and I hopped up and snagged our two Lexan ones from "our house". As Napoleon Dynamite would say,"Sweet!"

Frederick... glad you approve of my new term for evaluating bed comfort. Now to just figure out how much foam will be needed to achieve marital nirvana or maybe how much will be needed to just remain on speaking terms!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #6

Hi, I'm Matthew's signif other... he forgot to mention the two big owls in the P - Pine above the Scamp last night hooting a duet. It was a very lovely evening with fine flakes of snow falling.

As for the bed.... smallish yes; but I was not the one who was in the way! hee!

Christine
Christine D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #7

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Now to just figure out how much foam will be needed to achieve marital nirvana or maybe how much will be needed to just remain on speaking terms!
Just my observation:
The "Temperapedic" mattress is made of 2 different kinds of foam. The base is a [b]FIRM "standard" foam that is 4" thick. The top layer is "memory" foam that is 2" thick. These are packaged within one mattress covering.

Many people believe that they are duplicating this by using a foam "topper" over their existing cushions. But, the original cushions are usually of a budget quality, and are not firm enough. Plus, if they have any significant age, they are even less than not firm enough.

I think you would find that replacing the foam inside your existing cushions with something firmer, and keeping the "memory" topper that you have now will produce the expected experience.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hey all... just got back. We went up and stayed last night after I posted this. Yes indeed we had snow on the ground but just a bit. I wish more Montana campgrounds had electric sites because the little cube heater worked great. Our Scamp has a Suburban furnace in it that the previous owners never turned on, but its location in the trailer doesn't thrill me.
I had some concerns about the location of my Suburban furnace too. I measure the temperatures around it. The hottest spot I found on grill was about 130°F. I found a spot inside the grill near the burner at close to 200°F. Paper ignition point is about is around 800°F.

Once I knew that temperatures were that low, I had no further worries.
Since your furnace could be different than mine, you should do your own studies and make decissions about using or not using based on your studies, not mine.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #9

Wow. This is why this site is so great. Thanks for the mattress info Frederick. I was wondering the same thing... perhaps replacing the cushion foam would be a better investment than more "topper".

Byron, thanks for the info on your furnace temp measurements... that's good to know. I'll borrow a thermometer to take some readings on mine to be sure, but I'd guess it's similar. Nice to know that it probably isn't as dangerous as it looks.

Anyone else out there have input on the standard issue Scamp furnace and how well it interfaces with bedding and other camping realities?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When I first got my Scamp I wondered about the furnace placement. My first thoughts were that if it was problem Scamp would have been out of business a long time ago. One law suit would have been the end. It appears that they've been putting the furnace in that location for a number years, and no law suits. My test was to verify my reasoning, which ended up with a "feel good".

It's worth the effort to do the testing just feel better about it.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
I had some concerns about the location of my Suburban furnace too. I measure the temperatures around it. The hottest spot I found on grill was about 130°F. I found a spot inside the grill near the burner at close to 200°F. Paper ignition point is about is around 800°F.

Once I knew that temperatures were that low, I had no further worries.
Since your furnace could be different than mine, you should do your own studies and make decissions about using or not using based on your studies, not mine.

Byron:

I think you will find that the ignition temperature of dry paper is about 451 F. or 233 C. Not quite the safety margin you thought !

Colin
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
They did a book and movie about that..........

I am not sure, but all the books may have been burned.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
They did a book and movie about that..........

I am not sure, but all the books may have been burned.
Ray Bradbury ?

Colin
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
cubicular
I like that word a lot -- and plan to use it more often in conversation!

"No, not that one, Jeeves! The cubicular one!"
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:06 AM   #15

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Cubicular=the quality or condition of being cubic. This year my cubicularity has increased rather than diminished.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I'm glad you enjoyed your Winter stay in the Scamp. Last year, my wife and I did quite a bit of camping in our Casita. Fortunatley, ours has a furnace, which was great for those sub-freezing nights we encountered several times. Last year we took our trailer to some campground or another in almost every month of the Winter. Not this year, though. There's a slight chance I may take her out in January, but I'm not sure.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Wow. This is why this site is so great. Thanks for the mattress info Frederick. I was wondering the same thing... perhaps replacing the cushion foam would be a better investment than more "topper".

Byron, thanks for the info on your furnace temp measurements... that's good to know. I'll borrow a thermometer to take some readings on mine to be sure, but I'd guess it's similar. Nice to know that it [b]probably isn't as dangerous as it looks.

Anyone else out there have input on the standard issue Scamp furnace and how well it interfaces with bedding and other camping realities?
Hi: When you go foam shopping (foaming) make sure you try Hi Density stuff... It helps prevent bottoming out I looked at it @ an upholstery supplier comes in standard 22"x88"x4" blocks cuts with an electric carving knife or they said they would custom order cut to sizes... Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #18

Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
Cubicular=the quality or condition of being cubic.

Cu-[b]bic-u-lar = Cubic + Circular

More like a Trillium, Bigfoot, or Fiber Stream; the cubicular eggs.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I like that word a lot -- and plan to use it more often in conversation!

"No, not that one, Jeeves! The cubicular one!"
Hi: Cubicular... A totally rounded off square Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
That me...a totally rounded off square.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote