First Shakedown Run is Upon us! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
First Shakedown Run is Upon us!

Hi Folks,

Ready or not were(Wife, our babygirl(almost 9months) our 2 dogs and I) are about to head out on our first shakedown run with our new to us rig. Not going to far from home for our first run...going over near Cherokee NC to Mile High Campground http://www.campmilehigh.com/Milehigh.com/Info.html just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Hoping all goes well, if not, hey part of the adventure right? also should be a Grate way to celebrate me Bday

Have a great weekend y'all!
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have fun! Hope it all works out and dont share the bed with the dogs. I know first hand how small that bed feels when that happens! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
LOVE North Carolina! You have some of the most beautiful places! Have fun, take pictures and post em!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The campground at Maggie Valley is really nice, with large private restrooms/showerrooms. they are family friendly and there is a nice restaurant nearby.
The last time we went they gave a free night for those who come back through!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #5

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Hi Folks,

going over near Cherokee NC to Mile High Campground just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Is that the place with a sign signaling the highest point on the parkway? When I was in high school my father had a Mini and I had a pickup, blasting through the parkway was the highlight of the family vacations! I have a picture with my old truck and my dad's Mini next to the sign...oh the memories!
have a blast and safe weekend!!
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Baj

North Carolina
Thanks everyone!

Well we made it there and back in one piece...but only lasted one night haha
Our baby girl was sick with a cold going in, but towards the end of it, so we thought we would give it a shot anyway since we had reservations...but she just wasn't doing too good so for her sake we came home. Along with being sandwiched in between two families with a ton of screaming kids she just couldn't stay asleep which didn't allow for much relaxation on mommy's part continually having to try to put her back to sleep. Ah well we atleast got our trial run in and thankfully everything worked well mechanically
Found out how hard the foam cushions are though..we will have to get a mattress topper, any suggestions on the best fit and most soft cushion out there? This time around mommy and baby were on the big bed and I was on the side dinette(way too skinny for an adult IMHO) I am going to try to build an add on to the open side of the side dinette to turn it into a baby crib and we will sleep on the big bed WITH a mattress topper haha...
The dogs didn't know what to think in there haha...our one dog kept trying to get up with me on the side dinette...I had to keep moving her over to the big bed since she is a baby and needs to be up on a bed so needless to say none of us got much sleep....
The campground is small but beautiful, here is a picture from our campsite:

Lil Snoozy>no I think your thinking of the area around MT Mitchell which is the highest point on the parkway, but maybe not...the other real high point is near the Pisgah Inn...
Here is some shots from the Blue Ridge Parkway near the campground and on the way to Cherokee:

Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A memory foam topper with fix the hard cushion issue and can be cut to fit the bed.
If you look around the site you will see that a number of people have build railings for the beds to keep children in using PVC.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I miss those mountains.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Baby bed/safety rail

Quote:
I am going to try to build an add on to the open side of the side dinette to turn it into a baby crib

Hi, Baj

Glad to hear you made it back alive from your shakedown cruise...
Sure looks like you found a beautiful spot-

When my grandkids were smaller they slept on the dinette benches in my Trillium.
I found a couple of bedrails like the one below at a thrift store and sawed off the legs just above the point where the folding arms attached. (too bulky to store as they were)
Then I riveted a couple of short pieces of black PVC pipe to the dinette bench sides. These provided sleeves into which I inserted the bedrail legs at bedtime.
During the day, the rails stowed very nicely under the dinette cushions!

Francesca

Bed Safety Rail-Bed Safety Rail Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thanks, Baj for the pics. Looks great. Never camped over your area. Sorry about your sick child. Been there before. Not a good way to camp. We got mattress toppers (egg crate type) first thing with our Scamp....finally took 4 of them to get it just right. Never liked Memory Foam, seems hard and warm. My son had to rig a net to keep his baby girl from rolling off the 'bed' with his first TT. Now going on 5, she fell off the bed sleeping in the new to them TruckCamper the first night a week or so ago in Alaska. Seems to have it down now. But she is now sharing the bed with her younger sister (going on 3). Back when we were camping with our two, our dog really learned to love camping, couldn't wait to go. She was a good traveler.

We are trying to pick an area for a shakedown cruse, but our normal place is now closed due to fire danger. May head up to the Santa Fe Area, should be not so dry up there now.

Lincoln Nat'l Forest Closed due to fire danger.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Baj

North Carolina
Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions guys! With this info should be able to rig something up to keep her safe in bed.
Adrian thanks for all the pics you have uploaded to the gallery! You sure have camped in some cool looking places!
Ya I was wondering how those egg crate toppers were since I have read in another thread on here that the memory foam gets hot, which I do not want at all!
Hope your sons little girl is doing ok now...and have fun on your shakedown, look forward to some pics
Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hope your sons little girl is doing ok now...and have fun on your shakedown, look forward to some pics
She was not hurt, just slipped off the bed. It happens. She was back in bed in no time and fast asleep right away. These little guys are designed tough. She is one of the tougher ones......a little tom boy. Thanks for your concern. A big personality in a small package. A regular daddy's girl.

I know they have one of those bedrails to keep her in her bed at home, when she was younger.

She is the big sister after all. Ha!

Last summer, when she was out on a run with her dad on his 4Wheeler. When it wouldn't start after they had made a start. While daddy was working on it, she found a nice stick about 18" long. She told her dad, don't worry if a bear comes I'll take care of it. Ha! They live in Alaska. He's told her if she ever sees a bear to not run, but tell him. She is a sweat heart. All 3 of the girls are real keepers. Makes a Papa happy. But they are so far away, don't get to see them very often.

MissK & her Daddy in Alaska ~ Early Oct 20010.

The girls after 4Wheeling on the way home.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Baj

North Carolina
Sure are cute!