First step taken... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Prospective RV'er
Florida
First step taken...

Well, I went a week ago and traded in my sunset orange Jeep Wrangler JKU on a Dodge Ram 1500 Long Horn with the 5.7 Hemi. The dealership put a trailer hitch on it and also installed a brake controller. So now I'm set for a basic, capable tow vehicle.

Now I gotta save up about another $10k after I get back from vaca in Sept and I'll be ready to buy a camper.

I had entertained maybe getting a truck camper, as it would make it easier to get into/out of camp sites, since it's gonna be just me and the dog, but I want to put a topper on the truck and I'm not gonna wrestle taking a topper on and off and also put the truck camper on and off.

So I guess it's gonna be either a Casita or a Scamp. One advantage to the Scamp is that I can get a backup camera on it, which would help immensely. I gotta look into the lead time between purchasing and it being ready.,

If I got a Casita, I'd go pick it up and then run over to Utah for a week before coming back home. If I got a Scamp, I'd run out to Glacier or Yellowstone for a week or so before coming home.

But at least I got the tow vehicle matter solved. The next step will be to gather up the money and get the trailer. I'm starting to get a little excited anticipating all of this!
Del Gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
49 posts before looking for your first egg, wow.
That's a good tow vehicle to start with but these days $10k might be very limiting when you start trailer shopping, sad to say. Unless you mean that as a deposit on a new one. Best of luck and let us know what you wind up with.

Walt
Old 05-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Prospective RV'er
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
49 posts before looking for your first egg, wow.
That's a good tow vehicle to start with but these days $10k might be very limiting when you start trailer shopping, sad to say. Unless you mean that as a deposit on a new one. Best of luck and let us know what you wind up with.

Walt
I already have $20k at my disposal. I'm gonna save up another $10k and then buy a new one. For $30k I should be in the ball park for a new one, give or take.
Del Gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #4

Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Casitas for sale

I think with the gas prices, there are soon going to be more trailers out there for sale. If you have time to shop, you will find something.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Congrats.......we pull our Casita with a similar Ram 1500.....mine came with a tow package....4x4....crew cab....3.92 rear. It pulls like a dream.....doesn't know the trailer is back there. The gas mileage is also very impressive. We get 16 to 17mpg towing.....21 to 22 without towing. Great truck and Caista is a great trailer. Good luck....safe travels.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote