First time out! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
First time taking the Scamp out for a trip, little nervous that I was going to a campground with just myself and a kiddo. Asked him if he wanted to go to the KOA because it has a pool but he insisted he wanted to go "camping camping" not "hotel camping". The weather was sunny (enough) and then it started to rain at about 3 in the morning.

Things I have learned
1) the screw that holds the flip up vent has a purpose, no screw =no vent it is now somewhere along I-5
2) rain is very loud in the trailer...especial on the top vent, ting, ting, ting.....all night long
3)I am glad that when I left in the moring looking at the three pop ups that where dripping with rain that I didn't choose to buy one of those
4) buy batteries and stock them in the Scamp..my camera batteries died so I only have two photos
Scamp $$$$, Fixing it up $$$$, informed by my child that I am the best mother ever for taking him camping ....Priceless Take care Brandy
Attached Thumbnails
first_camping_trip_deception_pass_002.jpg  
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Scamp $$$$, Fixing it up $$$$, informed by my child that I am the best mother ever for taking him camping ....Priceless
Now that is what it's all about. Sounds to me like your first outting was a complete success.

BTW, I really like his term "hotel camping." I'm gonna remember that one.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Brandy, it sounds like you have a smart kid!

(Thanks for sharing your story.)

BTW: check into rechargeable batteries for your camera. The initial investment is significant, but it is my experience that they not only last longer because they're rechargeable, they also hold the charge longer than alkaline batteries. (I'm assuming your camera uses a couple of AAs.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
I finally made the switch to rechargeable batteries, and am VERY pleased.

Hurray for "camping camping"!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
I am glad that when I left in the moring looking at the three pop ups that where dripping with rain that I didn't choose to buy one of those
I thought the same thing last weekend when it took the family next to us forever to pop up their tent trailer in the cold (lots of snow on the ground) and darkness. I looked at popups for a little bit because some have nice space for a large family, but quickly decided we prefer the "togetherness" of being in our cozy Scamp, especially when it is raining and snowing!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
VERY happy that everything went relatively well for you and your son Brandy!! Too bad ya had a little to put a l'il damper on 'things', but at least it didn't on ya to make matters worse.

Didja git to see any of the this time 'round??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #7

Doug, now that is impressive I count seven emotion icon things..the tulips where not blooming yet but there where some daffodils guess I'll have to make another trip up soon try and look for that vent cover on my way. The rain was kind enough to wait until after we went to bed so I forgive the rain gods..at least it wasn't snow. Take care Brandy
Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hooray, Brandy, for a great first time out! And thank you for sharing your "kiddo's" remarkably insightful comment about "camping camping"! We wish you safe travels and many, many more PRICELESS memories! Will we see you guys at the Oregon Gathering in July? Take care, L 'n D
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
4) buy batteries and stock them in the Scamp..my camera batteries died so I only have two photos
Pity that. Pictures would have been nice!

An extra set of batteries is a must have. Our cameras use rechargeable batteries, so I have two sets for each camera and a small, 100w cigarette lighter plug-in inverter so I can charge the camera or laptop batteries in the car or trailer. Takes about 90 to 120 minutes to charge them up. It also makes sense, I think, to get some AA and AAA batteries and a charger, too. It's easier to keep fresh batteries on-hand when I don't have to remember to re-stock them from a store, just swap batteries from the camera, flashlight, or radio and start recharging a fresh new set then and there.

Glad you had a good time!

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Yay for you, Brandy! I think this world would be a better place if all the single moms (I'm guessing from your post) would take their kids camping either in a tent or a trailer! Camping together away from all the "stuff" encourages togetherness . I've been taking my kids on adventures since they were little and I firmly believe that's part of the reason why they've turned out so well. Keep up the fun!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
It's easier to keep fresh batteries on-hand when I don't have to remember to re-stock them from a store,
You need to acquire "Gina's Ketchup syndrome". I have this thing about running out of ketchup. I can't remember how much I have, so I buy a bottle almost every time I shop. I have about 50 bottles of ketchup in my fridge and can't read the labels to see which one is freshest.. so I buy new one just to be sure. ... I can't stand "old" ketchup.

I do the same with batteries. I got piles of them in the trailer because I want to be SURE I have em.... I wonder if there is a medical name for this quirk?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Yay for you, Brandy! I think this world would be a better place if all the single moms (I'm guessing from your post) would take their kids camping either in a tent or a trailer! Camping together away from all the "stuff" encourages togetherness . I've been taking my kids on adventures since they were little and I firmly believe that's part of the reason why they've turned out so well. Keep up the fun!

Nope not a single mom, (hats off to them though because its hard enough with two parents), I'm just the impulsive " lets go camping mid week alone parent". The reasonable responsibe one was working, but he might play hooky tomorrow so we can go fly fishing friday. I just want my kiddo to get a chance to be outdoors and have fun being a kid. On our last camping trip under strict supervision I let him use the ax to split small stick etc. At conferences last month I was presented with a booK titled "My Mom"... went on to say all sorts of sweet things and of course right at the end is "I love my mom because she lets me use an ax." Had to explain that one after much laughter. Thanks Brandy
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
You need to acquire "Gina's Ketchup syndrome". (...) I wonder if there is a medical name for this quirk?
Heinzsite.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Heinzsite.
Heinzsite is actually a sub-syndrome of the more afflictive Heinzsitis.

Heinzsite is an obsession with ketchup.
Heinzsitis is an obsession with any tomato paste type dish or product or anything having to do with Pittsburgh.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Are you sure it isn't Alzheinzer's Disease? Has to do with memory, you know! Some delusions involved, and it sometimes requires hospitalization for full treatment:
Attached Thumbnails
FlyingSauces.jpg   ketchuptransfusion.jpg  

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Forgetting things in my age group is half heimers.

boy, I can't wait to have all heimers..

OK, Brandy, the sleeping in a popcorn popper thing is easily overcome when you realize how dry and warm you are. I find it really relaxing myself. tho it is noisy.

I just think of the sound of rain on a tent roof and I drift right off.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Forgetting things in my age group is half heimers.

boy, I can't wait to have all heimers..

OK, Brandy, the sleeping in a popcorn popper thing is easily overcome when you realize how dry and warm you are. I find it really relaxing myself. tho it is noisy.

I just think of the sound of rain on a tent roof and I drift right off.

ahahahahahahhahah(cough) ahahah hahah....hahahah