First time out. Couple questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
First time out. Couple questions

Well, we've had our new Scamp since the 7th of March and this past week was the first time we've had a chance to use it. My son and I went up to Lake Kabatogama on the Canadian border fishing. Unfortunately we ended up in a site that had the sewer hookup about 40' from electric and water. Is this normal? I had bought a short extension for the sewer hose from Camping World, the ad said it was a standard bayonet fitting but it wouldn't fit the Scamp hose or at the trailer. Are Scamp's fittings different/non-standard? I now know I need a longer hose but have no idea what to order. Help please.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
That's only happened to me once, normally all the hookups are pretty close together. I will say it's easier to carry an extra extension cord and water hose than an extra sewer hose, less bulky and easier to handle. Position the trailer where a single sewer will reach and use the other water and electric extensions.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
George can you post a link to what you purchased from the Camping World Website. Scamps outlets are your standard 3" RV outlets as are the slinky hoses.

Re the outlet being far from the trailer. I have had that situation only twice and I ended up buying an extra hose with an extension coupler so they could be added together - 4 years later and I have still not had to use it! Go figure.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
For a short stay, if the sevices were split like that I would just dump the tanks on arrival and when leaving, and not try to hook up the sewer hose in the site.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought Scamp provided the stinky slinky when you order a toilet? What's in the stinky tube on the front of the trailer?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I thought Scamp provided the stinky slinky when you order a toilet? What's in the stinky tube on the front of the trailer?
Based on George's first post, I would guess a not-long-enough sewer hose.

George, photos of the trailer's outlet and the hose ends would help.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Northern Wisconsin
Carol, my bad. the ad said "standard EZ flex systems", not the same I guess The bayonet wont couple with the Scamp or the Scamp's hose. I think I'll order a Rhino, it looks like the right one. Sound right????

Donna, the Scamp did come with a slinky hose, only 10' long and just a ragged end on the sewer end. I wanted a little longer so I ordered an extension thinking I would attach it to the trailer then attach the Scamp provided hose to that. Nothing worked.

Brian, thats pretty much what we did. Newbie that I am, my electrical cord and water hose were maxed out, couldn't get any closer, so half way through our stay had to back the trailer up, empty it with the 10' Scamp provided slinky then pull forward again, re-level and hook up water and electrical again...all at 40 degrees in a driving rain. A PIA.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

Northern Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Based on George's first post, I would guess a not-long-enough sewer hose.

George, photos of the trailer's outlet and the hose ends would help.
yep, thats right. In fact to empty the tanks I had to empty one then back up more to empty the other. Not the normal camp site I guess. (I hope). I couldn't get closer to the utilities because there was a shallow ditch between them and the trailer pad.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
Carol, my bad. the ad said "standard EZ flex systems", not the same I guess The bayonet wont couple with the Scamp or the Scamp's hose. I think I'll order a Rhino, it looks like the right one. Sound right????

Hummm seems odd as they all should fit a standard 3" outlet on the Scamp as it a standard fitting. Pretty sure I have an EZ Flex hose. All is not lost though if you can remove the bayonet from the new hose you could pick up a coupler that will work to attach the two hoses together assuming the new hose is also 3".
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Northern Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hummm seems odd as they all should fit a standard 3" outlet on the Scamp as it a standard fitting. Pretty sure I have an EZ Flex hose. All is not lost though if you can remove the bayonet from the new hose you could pick up a coupler that will work to attach the two hoses together assuming the new hose is also 3".
Great idea, thanks. If I were smart I wouldn't be here asking dumb questions.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Registry
LOL George never a dumb question. If never ask the question you never learn the answer. Nope of us were born with a manual on basic RV'ing implanted in our brains.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I think some of the park designers didn't either.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Touché, Carl.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #14

Registry
Carl your right but I think in many cases places that have a sewer hook up at site are often designing them with the assumption that they will be used by much larger trailers than what we have here. I like Brian carry an extra hose and have a longer power cable which normally takes care of the problem.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #15

NE Oklahoma
I agree many are designed for other than the eggs.
My last park camp, I had to go and buy a 30' extension
for my electric. Will probably be the first and last time
I need it, but I'm ready for just about any discrepancy now.
Extra adaptor, extensions, various lengths of water line, etc.

My electric comes out the nose, whereas I assumed the other
types have it coming out the rear from the way it was set up.

Then again, they may have just run a straight line and set every
thing up in that line. Even if the lots weren't exactly in a straight line.
It's only government work, what else would we expect..........lol.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #16

Registry
LOL with the electrical connection at the tongue of the trailer I can assure you that you will find you may be having to use that extension cord again - actually alot. Strange that a newish trailer manufacture would put power at the tongue of the trailer. Most campgrounds will have the connections toward the rear (often on the rear drivers side of the trailer) as most manufactures set up their trailers with all the electrical and sewer connections on the drivers side towards the rear these days. My older Scamp for some strange reason has the connections on the passenger side but Scamp eventually switching then over to the drivers side a number of years ago.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #17

NE Oklahoma
I can be happy with that........lol.
Fifty bucks is a lot of money for a one time use.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just recently (last weekend!) camped in Oregon's newest full-hookup state park. The power tower and water were a good fifteen feet away from the sewer connection. I had to make a choice. I choose to hookup to power/water and when I got ready to leave, I dumped the blackwater tank... pulled forward four feet and dumped the graywater tank. If my tow was a 35' 5th wheel, I wouldn't have had any decisions. It took me a bit of time, but was happy with my choice of tow Time is cheap, especially when it only takes an extra 10 minutes or so. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote