First time out this year - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

Over the week-end, which we made into a 4 day break, we drove over to Wichata Falls, Tx from Las Cruces, NM. We were expecting 50 and 60 mph wind gusts around El Paso and Cruces Thursday late afternoon, therefore we took the route through Ruidoso, Roswell in New Mexico and Lubbock in Texas. It turned out not to be as windy as forcasted and the wind was pushing us most of the way, we were getting 18 plus mpg when we got fuel in Ruidoso and Lubbock. We drove all the way to Lubbock Thursday night, 4:40 pm to 12:30 am (both MST) mostly at 55 mph. As we got to Lubbock area it had been raining, and rained off and on all night. We spent the night at a Wal-Mart. Next morning, it rained off and on all the way to Wichata Falls. This time we were getting head winds or side winds all the way. We go 14 mpg this day. As we were signing in a the RV Park in WFs, they us a tornado was come toward the town, from where we had just driven through. We would have to go to the lanudry room if we heard a siren. In 30 min. the TV reports had the tornado not a problem anymore, but a hail storm was still on the way to WFs. My son, who we came to visit, did not want his pickup hail damaged (he had just gotten to town about 20 min. earlier) decided to take the trucks and my daughters car to a deserted car wash to get them under some cover. The whole family had converged at the RV Park for the week-end. It did hail but not as badly as some place south of town. The car wash was filled with cars and trucks. All of the stalls had 2 cars or trucks in them and many cars and trucks parked under the drying cover area. The rest of week-end was nice, a little cold Friday night and Saturday. Monday we drove back through Abilene and El Paso. It was windy all the way. 14 mpg each time and I drove about 65 mph most of the time on I-20 and I-10. It as a long drive, about 12 hrs. We were passed by many NASCAR trucks and motorhomes, moving on to a new race site.

We did get to see a lot of wildflowers in Texas. We passed by two historic Texas Ranches between Lubbock and W Falls: The pichfork and the 6666.

Still a little tired at work even today. But we got to see our granddaughter, our son and his wife and our daughter. She was following them down from MN. They were going down for my son to attend a 3 week school.

Our daughter came on home with us for about 3 weeks before she moves to Tucson with her husband.

The egg did very well, slept 3 of us in WFalls.

Just hoping for the best in weather for them while they are in WFalls, as in no tornados.

There was a Casita in the RV Park, but never saw anyone there.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Wow! What an adventure - I would not want to be in my little trailer during a tornado - I'm glad they passed you by. Hail damage would not be fun either (I can imagine my hounds really freaking out from the noise).

I'll have to remember car washes as a place to escape from hail - good idea.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler Honey
I loved reading your post. I grew up in Hobbs, NM and went to UTEP. I've logged a lot of miles on the Cruces/Ruidosa route, as it was cooler and more scenic than the El Paso/ Carlsbad route. Your tale really made it clear why a lot of folks in that part of the country consider it so important to have a carport even though it doesn't rain a lot. When it rains, too often it is accompanied by hail. You also inspired me to get out and work on my trailer! Thanks
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Yea, I too am from New Mexico. We went the other way from Tucson. We headed out for Yuma points West of Tucson. We have a great trip on Friday night. Stopped in a little town called Welton. Spend the night in a campground then on Saturday night we dry camped on the beaches of Imperial Lake, CA. It was wonderful. Just sitting back and relaxing. First time I got to read a fiction book in years. The trip home was exciting though.

We ran through that wind 45mph steady. Stopped in Eloy for lunch. The wind was constant. and the heavy wooden and plexiglass roof vent that I made for the scamp roof flew off and nearly hit my wife in the head. Missed her by about 6 inches.

Unfortunately, my vent is not a standard 14inch its something like 19 x22 inches. So I made my own.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
We ran through that wind 45mph steady. Stopped in Eloy for lunch. The wind was constant. and the heavy wooden and plexiglass roof vent that I made for the scamp roof flew off and nearly hit my wife in the head. Missed her by about 6 inches.

Unfortunately, my vent is not a standard 14inch its something like 19 x22 inches. So I made my own.
My stars your wife was lucky! The roof vent sounds like mine...it's an egress vent...not the regular standard size vent. Think Scamp sells replacement parts.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #6

Unhappy

A photo of the Egg on the way to Wichita Falls out from Lubbock and close to the pitch fork ranch and farther on the 6666 ranch, some big spreads, very impressive looking. I am sure I have read about them in western and historic books, but can not remember exactly what. I need to look them up on the web:
On December 13, 1883 the Pitchfork Land and Cattle Company was incorporated with 52,500 acres of land in central West Texas and a foundation herd of 9,750 cattle. Unlike most ranches established during the great cattle boom of the 1880s, the Pitchfork survived episodes of drought and cattle depression for more than 100 years. No other ranch in central West Texas can boast being larger today than during its initial years.

The Pitchfork home ranch covers 165,000 acres in Dickens and King counties near the town of Guthrie, Texas, with a satellite operation in Kansas. The Pitchfork is larger today than at any time in its history. Recently, the Pitchfork sold its Flag Ranch operation in Wyoming and purchased more lands in Texas. Although the Pitchfork's operations have expanded and modernized, its core business remains the same: cattle.

"Actually, our cattle breeding program is not real sophisticated," says the ranch's manager, Bob Moorhouse. "But it's good. I know it's good because the people we sell our yearlings to come back the next year." The Pitchfork cattle herd is Hereford-based, as it has been since the beginning. "Then we have what I call a South Texas cross cow," adds Moorhouse, referring to a herd that stems from crossbred Brahman heifers. The cattle adapted to the tough country and have thrived there.

With around 5,000 mother cows grazing the home ranch, the cowboys have ample opportunity to work the range in a manner very similar to the cowboys who first rode for the brand. Pitchfork cowboys have always ridden good horses. The signature "Pitchfork Gray" -- a gray horse with a black mane and tail -- has now become as synonymous with the ranch as the brand itself. The Pitchfork's horses have become widely known because they're worked in so many conditions.

For nearly 100 years the Pitchfork's profits and losses were affected only by the weather and the price of cattle. In addition, oil exploration has been a part of the Pitchfork's operations, with significant finds in the Tannehill sands area. This year the Pitchfork is establishing hunting on the ranch, with guided hunts for deer, game birds, boar and other game.

The Pitchfork has changed with the times, as change was necessary. However, it has never forgotten its past, never forgotten the traditions and ethic that allowed it to survive when many others failed. Helicopters and computers are now as common as ropes and saddles at the Pitchfork. But the ranch's cowboys eat at the same table as the ranch's cowboys did nearly a century before. Some things never change and never should.

http://www.thepitchforkranch.com/

The Four Sixes: The untamed, rugged land of Texas became home to legendary ranchers and cowboys as big and windy as the state itself. The vast horizon sprawled across the big-country in which they established prosperous land and cattle operations. Among them was the Four Sixes Ranch. Comprised of one-third million acres, the ranch has a storied history that began with a poker game and a winning hand of four sixes—reputedly, but not so. In true Texas fashion, it does make a good story, though.
The real history of the Four Sixes began with Samuel Burk Burnett, who became one of the most influential and prosperous cattlemen in Texas. Before the age of 20, he purchased from Frank Crowley in Denton County a herd of cattle wearing the 6666 brand. Burnett recorded the brand in 1875 in Wichita County, Texas, on the Kiowa-Comanche Reservation in 1881 and in other counties in years following.

The origin of the 6666 brand and why it was used by Crowley is unknown. But it had nothing to do with a card game. The element of luck always associated with Burk Burnett is not unfounded. His land, which supported thousands of cattle also held some of the state’s richest oil reservoirs.

The Four Sixes Ranch continues today as a forerunner in the cattle industry. As a cow/calf operation, the ranch maintains a breeding herd of some 7,000 mother cows. Angus cows and bulls produce calves, which are managed from birth through weaning and on to feedlot finishing. The quality of Four Sixes cattle is well known.
The ranch is also recognized for its exceptional horses. The brand used on the Sixes’ horses is the same one burned on the first horses Burk Burnett bought. Records reveal those cow horses were acquired from Captain M.B. Loyd of Fort Worth, who became Burk’s father-in-law. The horses were branded with the letter L on the left shoulder, as they are today.

http://www.6666ranch.com/history.shtml

At the roadside rest by the windmill as I got out of the Ranger to check the egg out, my wife saw a tom turkey take off running with it head streched out.
Attached Thumbnails
King_County_Texas.jpg  
Old 04-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #7

Unhappy

The Scamp at the Wichita Falls RV Park, which was not a bad place, friendly, helpful management and very clean rest rooms with very clean showers (on the order of one in a house), not many but nice one, my daughter-in-law said the laundry was clean and very nice as well. Nice grassy grounds with trees (not a lot of shade but large trees), a lake with a pair of nesting Canadian Geese, ducks flying by and other geese with a small creek like river running behind the park. Of course the best part was getting to see our kids and our sweet heart of a granddaughter, 8 months old.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_at_WFalls_RV_Park.jpg  
Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #8

Unhappy

Our son does not have the small is better mind set, this is his rig. His is more the cowboy mind set of larger could be bigger.

Big Blue and his perhaps fiber board sided stick built . It is a nice rig for the 3 of them. He added wood laminate flooring this winter. The sevier cold in North Dakota has been popping the vinal flooring up.

Hope no one will mind the photo of a stick built on this formum. It does show the Wichita Falls RV Park with some of the trees, the line of trees in the background is by the Wichita River which was running very red and muddy while we were there.
Attached Thumbnails
Big_Blue__Caleb___his_Trailer.jpg