Fla Panhandle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Talking

Hi All,

We're HOPING to spend a week or two in the Florida panhandle in late Nov or early Dec. We enjoy the water and wife likes to collect shells. We would really appreciate any input on good shelling spots, nice waterfront camping sites (reasonably priced), places to see, things to do, AND places to stay away from. Thank you for any insights.

Art

artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
We enjoy Destin, FL.

There are a coupe of campgrounds on, or near, the beach.

One just east of town, and the other on old Hwy 98 (which has been by-passed by new Hwy 98 construction)

I think you will find either to your satisfaction, location wise. The one on old Hwy 98 was a bit more economical when we were there last.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Try Grayton Beach State Park a few miles southeast of Destin.

Enjoy
Fred Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft
Registry
My Favorite spots are Bohia Honda state park in the keys. Beautiful beach for the keys and close to Key West and good snorkling. If your lucky to get a site, there are some nice ones near the water. The other is Myakka state park. Great trails, awesome vegetation (like a jungle) a canopy walk and great alligator viewing. I've seen more alligators in Myakka than anywhere in the Everglades. Rent a canoe, paddle out and around over the dam and you're surrounded by gators. Just don't hit them with you're paddle. Approx. 20 minutes from Myakka is Cresent Beach in Siesta Key Sarasota, in my opinion one of the best beachs down there. The town of Siesta Key is very nice. Don't forget to stop at the daiquiri deck and get a Rum-Runner... Mmmm Rum-Runner... Hope to get down there myself in our new Burro this year !!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
Try Grayton Beach State Park a few miles southeast of Destin.

Enjoy

Grayton Beach and Henderson Beach State Parks are our favorites. Here are 2 pix from Henderson

Click image for larger version

Name:	Henderson_Beach_1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	15906

Click image for larger version

Name:	Henderson_Beach_2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	15907
R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
If you like sea food I recommend "Goat Feathers" they have thier own boats to fish the gulf.

3865 W County Highway 30a
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
Paul Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We have stayed at Top Sail Hill State Park twice. Very nice. Access to the beach is by shuttle and a long wooden walkway.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
I was raised in the Panhandle. Greyton beach is your best bet, well it use to be. Nothings much the same now. Condo after Condo after Condo blocking the views of the beach as you drive down 98.

Another option is to pop over to Panama City Beach and take a tour cruise to Shell Island. Make sure it is one that lets you get out and walk the beach. I assume they still have those. Matters if they can get a boat up to the shore anymore.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
My Favorite spots are ... in the keys. .... Mmmm Rum-Runner...
You must a got too many Rum-Runners under your belt. the Panhandle is about 800 miles from the Key's
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #10

By the way. In Nov. and Dec. it can be COLDDDDDDDD there. With the sea breeze it may well feel below freezing in the evening and early morning. Day weather can range from low of 40's to the 60's. Average though closer to 50's and 60's.

Odd's are you will NOT be getting in the water unless your members of the Polar Bear club
Old 09-28-2008, 06:38 AM   #11

Unhappy

Quote:
By the way. In Nov. and Dec. it can be COLDDDDDDDD there. With the sea breeze it may well feel below freezing in the evening and early morning. Day weather can range from low of 40's to the 60's. Average though closer to 50's and 60's.

Odd's are you will NOT be getting in the water unless your members of the Polar Bear club

Coach,

You really burst our balloon. Never realized it would be so COLD that time of year. Guess we'll head further south.

Really glad we asked for input. Wouldn't have enjoyed sitting on the beach in overcoats (can do that here in Dec.).

Thanks for all the input,
Art

Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #12

before you completely change your plans... do a search on FL Panhandle weather. My temp numbers etc. are coming from estimations of how it felt to me as a child and young teenager. A very skinny one at that. I shi vv vvvvver very easily so maybe my guestimating of how cold it was could be off.

So let real numbers be your guide.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
before you completely change your plans... do a search on FL Panhandle weather. My temp numbers etc. are coming from estimations of how it felt to me as a child and young teenager. A very skinny one at that. I shi vv vvvvver very easily so maybe my guestimating of how cold it was could be off.

So let real numbers be your guide.
I did check temps and you were right. Not warm enough.

Thanksl,
Art