Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Florida

We've been at our future home Escapee park for two nights and quickly have been reminded why I like FL in the winter. Yesterday we picked 5 lbs of great strawberries for $5 in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately at least 2 lbs disappeared on the drive home. Green peppers are 3 for a dollar. Oranges abound and in varieties other parts of the country never see.

Then there's our pool. Yesterday a cool 85F, a marvelous winter dip that becomes almost a daily ritual, ideal for the body and soul.

And to top it off an excellent Christmas dinner followed by a dance.

Another aspect of this park is the marvelous community.

Today's temperature is about 80, clear skys, light breeze.

Everywhere you look there's something to catch your eye, like a group of 30 or so ibis cuddled into the tall swamp grass, ort even a 100 or so turkey vultage that seem to congregate in the tall oaks about two miles a way. The turkey vultures are truly ugly but neat in their own way, cleaning up big and small road kill in this rural county.

Tonight it's off to the FL Flywheelers, a group who maintain a lighted village that they setup for tours each winter.

Happy holidays to all

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Sounds like you guys are having a blast. We live in Tallahassee which happens to be the coldest and hottest city in the state. We missed driving over to Three Rivers SP last weekend due to prior engagements but are glad you're taking advantage of what Florida has to offer. It's true that we all forget how wonderful our own backyards are due to the daily rigmarole.

Have a great time tonight!

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We are heading down next week for a quick trip between semesters.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

Florida
Florida State

John,

We drove up to Tallahassee to see Florida State women play the UConn women in basketball. We were only there for a couple of days but loved that you could be down town and in the country in minutes. It seemed like a nice area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
John,

We drove up to Tallahassee to see Florida State women play the UConn women in basketball. We were only there for a couple of days but loved that you could be down town and in the country in minutes. It seemed like a nice area.
Sorry I didn't tell you we lived here. We could have grabbed dinner or coffee. We live in a neighborhood that is considered part of downtown and are only two miles from the capital complex. We have a half acre and it gets fairly quiet even though we are located where we are. Wakulla county which is South West has some beautiful places to go. The Wakulla river, spring fed, almost always has Manatee so it makes for great paddling. The St. Marks wildlife refuge is a great place to go as well. Typically lots of Alligators, there's a lighthouse, tons of aquatic birds etc...

The Wacissa river (also spring fed), South East of us, is another great paddling destination but the take-out is quite far from the put in so a yo-yo trip is what most people do. About a mile from the put in there is a feeder spring (named blue spring) on river left but it is set back and cannot be seen. We haven't been in years but there once was a huge U.S flag hung between the trees that you paddled under right before you made it to the spring head. There was also a floating dock, built and maintained by the locals. That river is almost entirely protected (so far) so there is no development along it. The take-out is known as goose pasture and has a make shift camping area. Closer to Goose pasture there is a famous canal that was built by slaves to connect the Wacissa and the Aucilla rivers, it's known as the "slave canal" and we have not paddled it yet but hear it is a must do.

A place I have to recommend if you haven't been is Appalachicola, FL. Absolutely the best Oysters and a charming fishing town with little shops etc... It's close to St. George Island which is a very popular beach destination. There is a State Park on the Island with camping but it is not on the water. It does makes for a great location to see the island and Apalachicola.

This is really the camping season for us due to the extreme heat and humidity so we really need to find a truck!

There are many other things to do so if you ever need any ideas just ask.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I will think of you all in Florida while I sit in this in North Dakota.
Attached Images

Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I could get even more excited if they had been blueberries, but still, that does sound yummy. Enjoy all that citrus too. Hey, I notice you didn't mention the grapefruit... don't you like those? When I was young my folks would take me to Florida for a week or 10 days after Christmas, several years in a row, and the fresh citrus was a big part of our menu while there.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

Florida
Grapefruit

Usually ppeople have buckets of grapefruit in their yards for the taking in the Escapee park.

Tonight we went to the Florida Flywheelers field near Ft. Meade. Pre Christmas they light their village, provide homemade cookies, cider, hot chocolate and hot dogs in exchange for a canned food donations. They bake some 12,000 cookies for visitors.

The volunters remind you how carring people are, very impressive.

We have been to the Flywheeler shows in Jan. and Feb. Their shows are impressive and educational and well worth attending once. They do have two campgrounds on their property, primitive and w/e. Definitely a wise move on these weekend events with 22 miles of booths.

John,

We have been to the panhandle and do love it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Where in Fl are you? And where is this Lighted Village of which you speak? Sounds lovely!

Melissa
Melbourne, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've been at our future home Escapee park for two nights and quickly have been reminded why I like FL in the winter. Yesterday we picked 5 lbs of great strawberries for $5 in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately at least 2 lbs disappeared on the drive home. Green peppers are 3 for a dollar. Oranges abound and in varieties other parts of the country never see.

Then there's our pool. Yesterday a cool 85F, a marvelous winter dip that becomes almost a daily ritual, ideal for the body and soul.

And to top it off an excellent Christmas dinner followed by a dance.

Another aspect of this park is the marvelous community.

Today's temperature is about 80, clear skys, light breeze.

Everywhere you look there's something to catch your eye, like a group of 30 or so ibis cuddled into the tall swamp grass, ort even a 100 or so turkey vultage that seem to congregate in the tall oaks about two miles a way. The turkey vultures are truly ugly but neat in their own way, cleaning up big and small road kill in this rural county.

Tonight it's off to the FL Flywheelers, a group who maintain a lighted village that they setup for tours each winter.

Happy holidays to all
Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #10

Florida
SKP Resort, Wauchula, FL

Melissa,

We're at the SKP Resort in Wauchula, FL. Wauchula is about 45 miles due west from Sarasota.

The lighted village is at the FL Flywheelers property near Ft Meade. Last night was the final night of their pre-Christmas charity event.

They have 320 acres that are mostly used for their three shows. There is a show in January 18-20 and one in February

Florida Flywheeler's Antique Engine Club

Last night some one mentioned that to see everything at a show requires 22 miles of walking, though one can bring a golf cart or the like. Admission is $7 for shows and well worth it.

If you're headed this way some time another very interesting place is Solomon's castle.

http://www.solomonscastle.org/

Definitely a look into the mind and creativity of a living artists.

FL is loaded with wonders

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Amazing! We've lived in FL 19 yrs and have never heard of anything but Disney and related attractions pretty much. Must be b/c we're so close in proximity. Whenever visiting the tourist sites online etc that is all they promote. My 8 yr old has never been to a theme park mostly due to cost but also I cant stand the thought of traffic, lines, crowds, parking etc. I figure there must be other amazing places to visit that aren't a huge tourist trap. Now that we have a hard sided trailer with no setup and my youngest is getting older it is a great time to start trying to find what is in our own backyard. Hopefully there are still affordable sites to see in FL.

Thanks for the 2 sites above, Hubby would really enjoy the Flywheelers. Never head of such a thing.

Merry Christmas!

Melissa
Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #12

Florida
Men and Flywheelers

Everyone says the Flywheelers is a guys place but Ginny likes it as well. There's so much that's neat there.

One example is their village green, complete with Gazebo. Twice a day a siassembled Model T is spread all over the green. Six guys come out and assemble the car and drive it off. I think it took 3 minutes or so.

Before that shoe there was a verytalentented magician as a warm up.

Around every corner there's something.

Ginny says she's not seen so many people since Disney, like disney they pick you up in the parking lot with a tractor pulled tram.

Take care

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
WE are in Florida as well.

We spent a week in the Jupiter Springs campground in the Ocala Natl. Forrest. It was quite nice there and we loved it.

We are currently in Homosassa and will leave for Tarpon Springs in the morning to spend a couple of days and then off to the Tampa area to visit friends.

We will return home in March so that we don.t miss springtime.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #14

Florida
Tarpon Springs

If we were not RVers I think I'd live in Tarpon, really a fine town,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I could get even more excited if they had been blueberries, but still, that does sound yummy. .
Lots of blueberries in Florida too, (at least here in the Northwest part), but the season for them is long over.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #16

Florida
Blueberries

There's also a huge field of blueberries across from us in Wauchula. Until I started RVing I didn't realize that blueberries has such a wide range. Unfortunately we're usually gone before the harvest begins around here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
What we do miss is good ripe, winter squash. We can grow summer squash, but not the winter varieties; the grocery stores never seem to have a good selection and the ones they do have are usually green. Root crops are somewhat lacking too, parsnips are looked upon as an exotic food.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'd agree on the root crops, and winter squash. Even in autumn, it's hard to find US grown turban, acorn or butternut squash. What gives? And parsnips, when I find them, are usually in the organic section, at $2 or more a pound...
Oh well, we who live here must pay for the sunshine somehow... With great prices on other produce, I'll live with the price of parsnips.
And I never have to shovel the heat out of my driveway.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #19

Florida
Roots

We have found great potatoes in Florida.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Boy, with all these people living in or staying in FL, we should see lots of fiberglass trailers in FL when we come next week.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote