Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Florida

Florida is now our home state. Today we registered our car, trailer and got a new driver's licenses.

Our driver's license was $45 for an 8 year license, substantially longer period than NH. As well we moved our insurance from NH to FL, we did not change companies and the insurance was $150 less for the same coverage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Wow. I can see why so many folks move there. You are now all official and stuff! Congrats to you! Here in NY, breathing air is taxed. Oh well. Family ties and all. Maybe some day my kids will move then shucks, I'll have to follow them. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Florida
We have the no following kids rule.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #4

Name: Vic
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Michigan
Florida

I was told it cost $500 to change your car registration from out of state to Florida plates. I live in Michigan and also have a place in Florida We leave a car in Florida with Michigan registration and was going to put Fla plates on it until I found out about that $500 surcharge. My Friend from Indiana told me this is what they charged when he moved to Fla.
vicjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have the no following kids rule.
We do to, but with a Son in the Navy and Daughters Husband in Army, it's nice to visit the different places they serve.

We are heading to Florida next week for exploring the possibility of relocating there. Never been there, other then through the MIA airport, so it should be a fun experience.

I feel the ocean calling...

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I am researching the same info. The Fla. impact fee was short lived. But there is a $225 new plate fee. Plus you have to pay your registration fee based on vehicle weight. Best that I can figure the cost can be around $500 to register and title a non Fla. car. The plate fee is a one time thing. The annual registration fees are much higher than my state but we have to pay personal property taxes on vechiles in my state.

License plate fees are based on the weight of the vehicle; therefore, we cannot provide you with this fee. Please use the License Plate Rate Chart to figure the fees for the Florida license plate. The bottom of the License Plate Rate Chart should be used to make sure that the necessary documentation and fees are being submitted. The $225 initial registration fee will also be due if you do not have a Florida license plate to transfer. The required documentation and fees should be taken to a tag agency where the vehicle will be in Florida for processing.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I can understand a no kid rule. But you have each other. All I have right now are my kids. Single 18 years and would like a companion but I can't snap my fingers for that one. To me family is everything as I'm sure for you. But in all honesty I can't follow them anyway because my brother is brain injured and will need me more after my mom passes.

I myself would not move far away from my kids. Just silly thoughts to move to FLA. It will never happen. I have my life, theirs and my mom and brother. I will be as close as I can to that love as I humanly possible. I do recognize not to smother people though.

And finally the thought of grand kids is a lovely one! I'll probably be stuck here in NY being taxed to my death. But I don't know yet what The Lord has in store. I just have to remember to ask each day, "I wonder what great things The Lord might bring to me today?"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

Florida
To register the car is about $300-350. This is a lot less than we expected. We come from a no sales tax state and thought there might be a sales tax added when we registered in FL but there is not.

The $300 is a one time charge. In NH where we lived a car is personal property and there was a significant yearly tax on a new car ($500), the Scamp due to it's age was $15.

In general we find the Cost of living in FL less than other places we've lived. The only issue is FL's sales tax, fortunately we're at in a state where we make few large purchases.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I can understand a no kid rule. But you have each other. All I have right now are my kids. Single 18 years and would like a companion but I can't snap my fingers for that one. To me family is everything as I'm sure for you. But in all honesty I can't follow them anyway because my brother is brain injured and will need me more after my mom passes.

I myself would not move far away from my kids. Just silly thoughts to move to FLA. It will never happen. I have my life, theirs and my mom and brother. I will be as close as I can to that love as I humanly possible. I do recognize not to smother people though.

And finally the thought of grand kids is a lovely one! I'll probably be stuck here in NY being taxed to my death. But I don't know yet what The Lord has in store. I just have to remember to ask each day, "I wonder what great things The Lord might bring to me today?"
We like our kids and follow them like many do, with extended visits. THey both have moved so much that we'd be moving every 5 years on average. WE find our visits and their visits to more than make up for the separation. Both of our boys have each spent 10 days with us in FL this year. WHen our grand kids were younger, we would often spend a few months a year parked in their yard or near them ending up with extended contact, more than if they lived in the same towns.

We now have a great grandson and plan to make a loop of the USA including the great grandson's home next year unless the great grandson moves back towards us.

The RV provides an opportunity for new types of human contact.

Of course I do not know a single thing about developing a secondary relationship. It's hard for me to imagine that it's possible however I know plenty of people that do it. I'm sure it requires figuring out what you want and being willing to compromise. Wishing you well and any life that makes you happy is a proper choice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Florida
We have our second Fiberglass visitor in our SKP Park, Craig and Judy, with Mary and Bob and Theresa P. joining us later in the week. The FL Scamp Camp starts in a week and we'll be going over with Disney Doc, another FRV site member, to visit for the Scamp Camp couple of days.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #11

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Norm and Ginny
Just curious. Do you live in a park model type home at your SKP park?
Thanks
Philip
Old 02-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #12

Florida
Park Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Hi Norm and Ginny
Just curious. Do you live in a park model type home at your SKP park?
Thanks
Philip
Good question Philip. We do. It took us almost 9 years to get a lot. Most of that time we were on the road and didn't care. Our other RV friends and relatives thought we were crazy to wait so long.

We knew once we got a spot we would get visitors so we put our name on 5 park models in the park. After a few months one became available and bought it. Just as I suspected the visitors poured in. We have had a really large number of visitors and they were never going to fit in our Scamp 16.

Beyond all our visitors it's allowed us to entertain short term visitors like Craig and Judy this week and Mary and Bob next week of this forum, not to mention by name about 100 fellow park Escapees.

Our park model is 18 years old, about the size of a motorhome and is taxed at $35 a year.

Of course last night in bed Ginny said "Do you miss the Scamp?". She cuddled up like we were in our small Scamp bed. "Of course I do... in a couple of months we'll be heading towards Newfoundland".

This is now our core location. I expect one day we won't be able to travel and we'll be here year round. Today I was painting the Maintenance building roof with Craig...I said I hope not to need to do this again in my life. There is an end and it is insight.. at least from the top of the roof.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #13

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks, Norm. Sounds perfect!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Florida
Philip,
The whole process of of selling our home of 30 years, of establishing a home in FL, is all part of our aging process. People ask Ginny how she feels "about getting rid of everything", she declares she does not miss things, giving things away was easy.

We have established a home among people who are like us, people who have time for each other, who have similar interests and goals. It reminds me of my childhood. I lived in a neighborhood of tons of kids, that post war generations where men came home from the war and had young families, tons of kids playing together night and day.

It's similar in our park. Yesterday began with a 2 mike walk around the park, then a group of us put up 300 feet of welded wire fence, in the afternoon another group of us began painting the Maintenance Building's metal roof. After that a late afternoon dip in the pool and in the evening the movie the Martian ($0.50 with popcorn). Really a busy satisfying day with friends working and playing together. It was a little busier than normal, I usually limit myself to one park task a day lasting only a half day. However it was a rainless day and we took advantage of it.

The lifestyle is a change from our past. These kinds of activities were not part of my past. Here my life is as full as ever, full by choice by activities that were not mostly part of my past.

Yesterday I took a few minutes to write an article for our park newsletter titled "Maintained by Volunteers". The Fence crew has had 17 different volunteers and the painting crew 7 different volunteers. It's great to have willing hands. There all kinds of volunteer groups here, people willing sharing the load and having fun doing it.

Though we had friends in our previous life, we sought a community of like minded people. In this case people in our general age, from 50 to 90, mostly retired, mostly travelers, mostly friendly people.

Though we're far from family the kids and their wives each visited for 10 days and are happy to see us so happy, actually both are Escapees and on the waiting list for our park. ALl three of Ginny's sisters visited for the better part of a week. In addition we've had a number of visits from FRV friends, some staying in the park.

It's a different life from our past, but the differences are stimulating in new ways. Part of my life philosophy is that change stimulates, in part like having another life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Newfoundland

Ginny & Norm,

We visited your SKP setup after last year's Scamp Camp and liked it very much. We took much of your advice and had a great trip to Newfoundland. We can understand why you continue to return there.

We wish you both the best in your newly permanent home,

Rosemary & David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #16

Florida
Rosemary and David,

Are you going to Scamp Camp this year? Craig and Judy are here and heading there on Friday. We plan to attend as well taking Disney Doc and his wife to their first Scamp Camp. Like you Disney Doc has purchased an Escape. If you're about please stop by.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #17

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Norm,
Sounds like you have a neat place to live, not sure what kind of facility it is, does it have a web site? Going to have our first look at Florida in a couple of weeks.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Wintering in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Rosemary and David,

Are you going to Scamp Camp this year? Craig and Judy are here and heading there on Friday. We plan to attend as well taking Disney Doc and his wife to their first Scamp Camp. Like you Disney Doc has purchased an Escape. If you're about please stop by.
No Scamp Camp for us this year. We decided to stay home this winter, which thus far has seemed like a pretty lucky decision as MA weather has been quite mild and some of the south rather chilly. We're hoping to take a couple of extended trips later on and needed to attend to some local committee obligations.

Please say hello to Mary and Bob. We attended a rally in Copake, NY with them. So far so good with the Escape.

David & Rosemary
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #19

Florida
FL SKP Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan and Carol View Post
Norm,
Sounds like you have a neat place to live, not sure what kind of facility it is, does it have a web site? Going to have our first look at Florida in a couple of weeks.

Stan
Stan's here's our web site:

flskpresort.org - Home

On Facebook it's the Florida SKP Co-op

If you're in our area stop by. I'll send you a PM.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16