Florida Hurricane Thoughts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Florida Hurricane Thoughts

Our Park Model has been through 2 Major Hurricanes, Charlie and Irma. Neither did any significant damage to our park model. In this storm the only damage we suffered was the loss of some of the skirting around the base of the park model.

All sited rigs, park models, trailers and motorhomes must be tied down at multiple points by Florida law, usually over the axles, at the rear corners and front corners. This prevents the winds from toppling the various rigs.

Our park model, now 20 years old, has a traditional shingle roof. It has not lost a single shingle in these extremely high wind situations. Other park models with shingles in our park have lost shingles galore.

Our salvation is we have a north facing park model with a few hundred feet of trees immediately behind us. ( Remember storms tend to come from the south) It seems they protect us I assume the storm lifts over the trees which are significantly higher than our roof. Regardless of the reason our roof survives as does our neighbor's roof who is parallel to us. On either side of these two park models we have a trailer and typically a motor home.

The parks neighbor is an Orange Grove. They have a house in the middle of a grove that's over 100 years old. It also seems to withstand the storm.

During Charlie the park had numerous Oak trees. They were all destroyed now we have about 150 palm trees. They lose fronds but never seem to blow over, now each is almost 20 years old. Also during Charlie things that were not tied down literally flew off, some not to be found. That includes a non tied down Gazebo located across the street from us. My understanding is that it was not to be found in the park.

It's apparent that though Irma was large it's path was not as destructive to our park.

I'm anxious to get back, hoping to be there Saturday. Pictures show I'll have skirting to repair. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately skirting is not structural. Now I'm considering it's replacement.

Though no one stayed in the park the day Irma passed thru, if I were there I would have parked my Scamp behind my shed, between the shed and the woods. I would have tied it down at 5 points. Outside of the possibility of a tree or branch falling I think it would have been safe.

Ginny and I have camped a couple of places with strong winds and wished we were tied down, once in Texas and once in NM.

One nice feature of our park is all power is under ground. However we have been without power for 4 days. Our park contains it's own sewer plant and it's own water system. We own backup generators to power those systems. Being a place of RVers, the percentage of people with generators is high. Of course we have our Honda 1000 which is fine for the Scamp. As we age and may spend more time there in the future, we are considering getting a large generator capable of powering the Park Model.

Just a few thoughts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Michigan
Happy for you guys Norm. Sounds like it could have been far worse. What's a little skirting in the scheme of things? The pride shown by all your residents will have the park looking great in no time.

Our daughter's place on Tampa Bay never lost power, and sustained no water damage. Her apartment is 10 feet from the water's edge and can't be more than a foot above sea level. The expected surge evidently never happened. She was finally allowed back yesterday. The "Never Evacuate" neighborhood she stayed in temporarily still has no power. We stayed in touch via text, but today got a call and our spirits are soaring. I'm positive we were more worried about Irma than she was.

Florida is an amazing place and Floridians are tough, resilient, friendly people that know how to deal with adversity, and can't do enough to help their neighbors. We can't wait to get down there again.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

Florida
We just got power back in our Park, brings a smile to all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Florida Hurricane Thoughts

Glad to hear it, Norm! [emoji846]
Along with myself, I'm sure you have been in the thoughts of many other FGRV'ers.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Hurricane

Our park in Punta Gorda was in a direct line for destruction but Irma turned east and we were spared. No damaged. We were very very lucky, dodged a big bullet. We will be returning to our Florida home this November. So happy to still have a home
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #6

Florida
A hurricane is like a test. It's good pass, to know the prep paid off.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Swenny, that bullet you dodged in Punta Gorda......

turned east and hit my park model in Sebring!

Happily no damage to my unit but there was a lot of damage in the park.

Car ports are especially vulnerable, along with roofs and siding.

we are going down from Michigan for a few weeks in October, driving down and leaving the car there and flying home from Punta Gorda.

Funny, in the winter we almost enjoy watching the blizzards on the weather channel while in sunny florida.

but we don't enjoy sitting here up north and watching hurricanes bombard the south.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We're here in the North West corner of South Carolina and Irma came through as a Tropical Storm. Unfortunately, she wrecked havoc in Oconee County! We lost power Monday night around 9 and on Tuesday we were told it maybe Thursday before power was restored due to the snapped power poles, and falling trees taking down power lines. Of course this was nothing compared to what Florida experienced when Irma was a Hurricane. I'm just amazed at the storm's punch this far inland. We had our generator running a couple lights, phones, and refrigerator. I am thankful that no one had any trees fall on their home in our small neighborhood. Power was restored yesterday for us but there are still approximately 6,000 + still without power! Hopefully everyone will be restored soon.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Hurricane

Sorry to hear about your park in Sebring. I always forget to remember that good fortune for someone is a misfortune for someone else. It was awful watching the storm on TV heading our way as we were resigned to the loss of our home. Our park took a direct hit from Charlie in 2005. Almost half the units wiped out.............so fortunate to be spared this time.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #10

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
I'm usually full-timing up north or out west this time of year, but I returned instead to Gainesville to live in a house for awhile -- one week before Irma hit. I parked my Casita flush up against the north side of the house hitched to the TV, and a 150' tree fell OVER the camper and crashed into the roof of the house. It missed the top of the Casita by about one inch. No harm came to it whatsoever! Damage to the house will cost about $3,000 to repair, and it's all out of pocket. For named storms, the homeowner's deductible is $15,000.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
I'm usually full-timing up north or out west this time of year, but I returned instead to Gainesville to live in a house for awhile -- one week before Irma hit. I parked my Casita flush up against the north side of the house hitched to the TV, and a 150' tree fell OVER the camper and crashed into the roof of the house. It missed the top of the Casita by about one inch. No harm came to it whatsoever! Damage to the house will cost about $3,000 to repair, and it's all out of pocket. For named storms, the homeowner's deductible is $15,000.
Oh Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about the tree falling on your house. Hopefully you can get the repairs done quickly without any problems!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #12

Florida
Though we had little damage Ginny says time to read our policy. Interestingly our policy holder sent us an email a week before the storm suggesting preparation and letting us now how to contact them with a claim.

Our Park has very few trees, Hurricane Charlie Removed them all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #13

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Glad you had little damage Norm. As far as palm trees withstanding wind better they still go down. The golf course around Shades of Green resort near Magic Kingdom where we are for a few days has some palms on the ground on fairways where they stood very exposed. The resort here never lost power.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If skirting blows away, try slacks...

We had our house re-roofed last month, and the new shingles are rated for 130 mph winds. I hope they really are that good; we lost some of our old shingles in winds half that strong.

Blizzards are indeed quite interesting to watch. So are hurricanes. But having to go out into the storm or its aftermath, not so much.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
When hurricanes and tornados come, we pray for those affected and hope they miss us...when blizzards blow in we just snicker (my apologies).......
madjack

p.s. my Sis lives in Richmond Tx, next to the Brazos River...they were surrounded but did not get water in house. My Aunt lives in Ft Meyers Fl and came to stay with my Mother. she will be here another couple of weeks until all is back to normal.........mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
All of these crews are working in my backyard in Sebring. There were two service poles in the back corners of my backyard snapped off supplying power to 10 houses. Several houses had bent service masts and they won't get power until they get electricians to change them out. One of these trucks is spending the night stuck in the sand in my backyard. I now have power.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
Sebring power crews.jpg  
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #17

Florida
We're pretty thankful, particularly after driving around the area and seeing more severely damaged areas than ours. Wind and water are devilish in their ability to destroy. The Peace River, famous to Fossil hunters, quickly overflowed flooding 3 nearby RV parks. Wind destroyed weakened trees where ever they were.

This has led the park to develop a hurricane preparation plan. Actually we were pretty well off but learned a lot that needs to be documented for the future.

It had been 13 years since our last hurricane, easy to forget necessary actions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16