Florida -> Minnesota in June! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Florida -> Minnesota in June!

The Dot and I have agreed to purchase a rehabbed 16' Scamp down in Gainesville, Florida! We're planning to pick it up in mid June when school lets out (she teaches 4th grade).

We were thinking of maybe heading to the west and then up to the Twin Cities via the Mississippi River's "Great River Road". A month or so ago we were at the northern end at the Lake Itasca headwaters and thought it would be kind of fun to hit the other end (well not the TOTALLY other end. I guess the last 100 or so miles is pretty boring not to mention very wet!).

So.... any suggestions? We will probably take a diversion to dig for quartz crystals when we run through Arkansas, but other than that...who knows!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,,, they have nice river cruises. anywhere from a romantic dinner cruise,,,to multi day and week long cruises.

at the very least you will have to do a dinner cruise.

not sure if you have been to see the arch in st. louis, but its pretty cool, and while your there you can make a religious pilgramage to the budwieser plant, or a nice visit to the bowling hall of fame.
or cross the river a few miles and see the ancient indian pyramids. can't remember the name,,,but it is well worth a few hours of time.

of course thats just off the top of my head,,,i'll think about it though.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Michigan
oh,,,and about an hour south of the twin cities,,,,the spam museum is a must see.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #4

Michigan
and you won't be that far from decorah,,,you could drive over and see the decorah eagle nest in person. (i'm sure you have seen the decorah eagle cam)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
The stretch between Saint Louis and Saint Paul has been covered by us a LOT over the last 30+ years in one form or another. It's mainly south of there that's terra incognito for us!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Wow those bugger grow fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
and you won't be that far from decorah,,,you could drive over and see the decorah eagle nest in person. (i'm sure you have seen the decorah eagle cam)
The babies will probably be gone then those little buggers have grown and changed so quickly.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
COE Campgrounds

If you have not done so already, plan to stay at US Army Corp of Engineer Campgrounds. They will cover both sides of the river and frequently away from the river on main tributaries that need flood control.

The have a fairly good series of websites, you have to navigate between districts to see facilities. There is a book available "Camping with the CORP of Engineers", be sure you get the latest edition.

We spent some time around Hannibal MO and nearby Mark Twain Lake. One day went to two and two days went to three. A nice area. We have heard similar reports on COE campgrounds in Wisconsin and Minnesota. For instance there are five COE campgrounds in Wisconsin along the Mississippi.

www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
If you have not done so already, plan to stay at US Army Corp of Engineer Campgrounds. They will cover both sides of the river and frequently away from the river on main tributaries that need flood control...... <snip>
Excellent suggestion! Thanks!

<update>

Just ordered the Corps of Engineer book on eBay!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
well,,,, they have nice river cruises. anywhere from a romantic dinner cruise,,,to multi day and week long cruises.

at the very least you will have to do a dinner cruise.

not sure if you have been to see the arch in st. louis, but its pretty cool, and while your there you can make a religious pilgramage to the budwieser plant, or a nice visit to the bowling hall of fame.
or cross the river a few miles and see the ancient indian pyramids. can't remember the name,,,but it is well worth a few hours of time.

of course thats just off the top of my head,,,i'll think about it though.
Bowling Hall of Fame is gone,Brewery is now owned by Belgians but the Arch is still standing Proud!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We have the Camping with the COE book. Many of the small, beautiful campgrounds are not in the book. We picked up a booklet in one of the COE campgrounds on a trip a few years ago, and found many more. We didn't do the whole river road... parts of Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa. Many of the COE cgs were low cost, and RIGHT on the river. We watched the barges go by from our campsite. Loved it.
When you pick up the camper in Gainesville, consider a few days at Paynes Prairie State Park, close by.
Decorah area is wonderful, as is Lanesborough, MN, in the bluffs, when you get further north. But then, you've probably been there.
Congrats on your new camper, and have a wonderful trip.
Sherry
PS If not too far out of your way (it runs NE to Tennessee), consider the Natchez Trace Parkway. Lovely. Not many campgrounds on the trace, but they're cheap to free.
S
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Stay at Pikes Peak state park in Iowa the highest bluff on the Mississippi. The drive from Prairie De Chien to Prescott Wisconsin is the better side of the river to be on.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Spam museum: been there, done that, got the t-shirt, had a riot.
Don't go hungry, eat at the spam diner across the street.
St.Paul zoo has some really nice exhibits of northern wildlife.
Albert lea has Bergdale HD if your a bike fan, he has a lot of oldies for sale.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #13

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Check out Grayton beach st park, about four hours west of Gainesville about 30 miles S of I10. Not far out of your way heading west.

It is right on a beautiful white sand beach that stretches for miles. No condos and few t shirt shops. Fine dining a mile stroll down the beach in Seaside.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote