Folding bicycles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Folding bicycles

Any of you who have them, hopefully, can tell me the pluses and minuses of them. How do they sit, ride, steer, etc, compared to a traditional bike? Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Any of you who have them, hopefully, can tell me the pluses and minuses of them. How do they sit, ride, steer, etc, compared to a traditional bike? Thanks
We have an entry level DaHon similar to the red one pictured below.
I own 7 bicycles of my own including a Giant "Revive" two Trek 820s, a Trek 850, a Trek 700, a Trek 1400 (my first real road bike) and of course the DaHon Boardwalk.
The Boardwalk is a fine for what it is designed for....
Great "pit bike" for short distances at moderate speeds, like around the campground or for a couple of sidewalk miles along the beach or through the park.
Once learned, it folds and deploys easily... and so fits in places where a normal bike would not.It's a little heavy but it can be lifted and carried for loading and unloading by a person of average strength.
The Boardwalk is fun and easy to ride and not bad to bring along for utilitarian use.
I must confess that mine has languished in the loft of my shop for quite a while now since I have a bike rack on my Scamp on which we normally carry my 820 and my wife's 820. When I travel I seek out places to ride beyond the campground.
My Dahon Boardwalk is a single speed with a coaster brake,but it can also be bought with a multispeed derailleur and hand brakes.
There are better folding bikes both bigger and smaller but the Boardwalk is a good value at an entry level price.
To sum it up, the Dahon rides and handles a better than the tipical fullsized, fat tired, single speed "cruiser" bike and always draws more attention.
Attached Thumbnails
1_Dahon-Boardwalk-D7_2.jpg   89485057_7d04c3ab6b_z.jpg  

Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote