for a good chuckle today..... - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #201

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
And Zach, let’s not forget one of the most ridiculous (IMO) hydrology measurements of all, namely acre-feet.
Easy to picture, but ridiculous for most purposes.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #202
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Besides metric is more expensive. Despite the fact that anything sold in the U.S. uses metric hardware, go to any hardware store and you will find metric bolts cost twice what SAE bolts do for the equivalent size.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #203

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It's all in one's perspective !!
And we each have our own perspectives, for sure.
Quote:
... it is certain they will still be driving on the wrong side of the road.
Glad the US is not adopting this British thing..... ;D
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #204

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Besides metric is more expensive. Despite the fact that anything sold in the U.S. uses metric hardware, go to any hardware store and you will find metric bolts cost twice what SAE bolts do for the equivalent size.
Thanks Raz , Real world facts always trump hypothetical theories.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #205

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Every once in awhile the debate rages again about metric vs imperial. I don't find it an important argument, since the standards are often mixed, and often the one used is the one that's more intuitive. If you want proof, my trailer was made in a country on the metric system but is called an Escape 19 - Not an Escape 5.7912. I've got all kinds of tools for example, both SAE and metric. I use the one that fits. If meters and centimeters are easier for you, go with it. If it's feet and inches, fine. The same goes for gallons/litres, miles/kilometers, etc. Much depends on what you're used to. For every argument touting the superiority of one over the other, there's a corresponding counterargument. I don't really see the need to prove one better, or especially easier, because at the end of the day, the better one and the easier one is the one that's commonly used in your country.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #206

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Where we go fishing in Manitoba there is a sign placed at the public boat landing by the Manitoba Ministry that states "All Walleyes less than 14 INCHES are too short and must be released"
Either the Manitoba authorities don't use the metric system
or the people who know how to catch fish don't understand it or fish don't come in metric sizes. Take your pick !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #207

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The Walleyes are a respected minority and they prefer to be measured in inches. I think. Or is the fishing spot open to Yankees only?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #208

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Where we go fishing in Manitoba there is a sign placed at the public boat landing by the Manitoba Ministry that states "All Walleyes less than 14 INCHES are too short and must be released"
Either the Manitoba authorities don't use the metric system
or the people who know how to catch fish don't understand it or fish don't come in metric sizes. Take your pick !!!
Steve,
I think that might be posted for us Yanks.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #209

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
Steve,
I think that might be posted for us Yanks.
Exactly, even some older Canadians too. Eccentric our kids who pretty much only use metric understand imperial somewhat too.

In Canada we are free to use, including posting, whatever measurement we like, but any fishing regulations I have seen are metric.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #210

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Metric is so simple and natural... I live in USA for 20 years
Sure you don't mean 240 months?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #211

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
So when evaluating the engine torque of your tow vehicle, do you use foot-pounds or newton-meter?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #212

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The Walleyes are a respected minority and they prefer to be measured in inches. I think. Or is the fishing spot open to Yankees only?
Careful now, not all Americans are Yankees!
I think Jack Elam was a Walleye though?!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #213

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Whether you measure torque in foot-pounds or newton-meters the torque is the same! 2.54 cm and 1 inch are the exact same distance, even if it doesn’t sound the same. Never going to see either system rule the world. The NFL and CFL are not going to start using meters instead of yards. Shakespeare is not going to come back from the grave and rewrite The Merchant of Venice to reflect a kilogram of flesh, and even if every future nut and bolt were to be metric and every socket in use would therefore be a metric size, ratchets would still be 1/4”, 3/8”, or 1/2” drive (too many in use). They could change the designation of the drive size but.....well, it wouldn’t be accepted by very many. Just imagine: “Could you please hand me that 12 point 7 ratchet (AKA 1/2”). Even if you like one system and hate the other, you just have to put on your big girl panties and deal with both, like it or not. My apologies if that sounds sexist, it’s not meant to be. Just trying to tell it like it is.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #214

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Whether you measure torque in foot-pounds or newton-meters the torque is the same! 2.54 cm and 1 inch are the exact same distance, even if it doesn’t sound the same. Never going to see either system rule the world. The NFL and CFL are not going to start using meters instead of yards. Shakespeare is not going to come back from the grave and rewrite The Merchant of Venice to reflect a kilogram of flesh, and even if every future nut and bolt were to be metric and every socket in use would therefore be a metric size, ratchets would still be 1/4”, 3/8”, or 1/2” drive (too many in use). They could change the designation of the drive size but.....well, it wouldn’t be accepted by very many. Just imagine: “Could you please hand me that 12 point 7 ratchet (AKA 1/2”). Even if you like one system and hate the other, you just have to put on your big girl panties and deal with both, like it or not. My apologies if that sounds sexist, it’s not meant to be. Just trying to tell it like it is.
Now that Brexit is happening maybe Mother England will force her colonies to go back to British Standard Whitworth tools. That way those Canadians will have parts that neither metric nor standard tools fit. So they will be just like us. Hmm looks like a 9/16. Nope ok what is close to 9/16 in metric.
For them it will be hmm looks like 21mm, what size Whitworth or maybe standard is close to it.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #215

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Easy to picture, but ridiculous for most purposes.
Hmm.......widely used in the State just west of Nevada!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #216

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Wow, did this thread get off tract, going from a video on a cheaply made sticky to the pros and cons of metric.
Oh well, carry on.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #217
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan and Carol View Post
Wow, did this thread get off tract, going from a video on a cheaply made sticky to the pros and cons of metric.
Oh well, carry on.

Stan
With the the thread in general chat and the heading a chuckle for today I think the op was asking for it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #218

Montana
Quote:
Hmm.......widely used in the State just west of Nevada!
As far as I know, widely used anywhere people are measuring irrigation water. Definitely a standard here in Montana, but the only people I know of who use it are farmers, ranchers and the agencies & businesses who work with them.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #219

Montana
Aren't Fords using metric hardware now?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #220

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
As far as I know, widely used anywhere people are measuring irrigation water. Definitely a standard here in Montana, but the only people I know of who use it are farmers, ranchers and the agencies & businesses who work with them.
Not in Florida, and a lot of water is used here for agricultural irrigation. Water use permits are issued in gallons (thousands of gallons) and usage is reported the same way.