for a good chuckle today..... - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #281

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Many of us flock to fiberglass RVs because we like the idea that our RVs may outlast us. Changes to sitting by campfires happen slowly, and that's good.
Molded fiberglass is maybe 5% of the market?

On the other hand, how many of you want cell phones, lap tops, or TVs that will last 40 or 50 years? Not many. What is the point of building high tech items that last far longer than we need them?

Who wants a fax machine that will last 50 years? Better yet, who wants a fax machine? Or a brick phone, bag phone, rotary dial phone, or phone book? How about VHS tapes, 45 rpms, 8 tracks, cassettes, or answering machines?

On the verge: Bookcases, file cabinets, alarm clocks, CDs, DVDs, land lines, and maybe cable tv. Certainly cable channel bundles.

Come sit by this campfire and tell me four ways to pop corn.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #282

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The USA has a common language in name only (English)
I have been to Canada over 100 times and have never had a problem conversing with the populace.
I can not say the same thing for the USA . There are parts / regions of the US where they speak a totally foreign language at least foreign to me
If you cannot understand what they are saying does it matter if they are speaking Greek , Russian , Chinese or English

In parts of the US , English is the second lanquage and I am not referring to Spanish speaking Americans or people who speak Metric.
Years ago they had Billy Carter over in Great Briton on a TV show and had an interpreter translating as he spoke. Which was funny as all hell to us as I could understand him perfectly. So he had a little drawl.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #283

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
Years ago they had Billy Carter over in Great Briton on a TV show and had an interpreter translating as he spoke. Which was funny as all hell to us as I could understand him perfectly. So he had a little drawl.
I listened to Billy Carter speak on a few occasions . Since I could not understand what he was saying I tried to pick out and decifer certain words and then mentally fill in the rest of the sentence.
Most of the time I failed to translate correctly what he was saying.
I once had a US southern to Standard English dictionary / translation guide given to me by the U of T at Knoxville.
Although it was of some help , my hearing was not good enough to do a direct translations.
The " Drawl" is one of the biggest obstacles for me . I am into the next sentence long before the previous sentence is complete.
Like the word "You All" , my brain translated the word into
" You Haul " and thusly the sentences often made no sense .
" You Haul, You Haul" still makes no sense and is redundant to this day .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #284

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Now that does remind me a little of the time I missed a British Railways connection between Inverness and Edinburgh and was forced to spend a chilly January night at a small rural station waiting for an early morning train. When the stationmaster found my friend and myself huddled inside our parkas attempting to sleep on benches, he kindly invited us into his overheated and smoky office where he happily regaled us with stories until the train arrived several hours later. Unfortunately, between his heavy country brogue, suffocating cigar smoke, and the aftereffects of the previous day's overindulgence in excellent Scotch single malt at an Inverness pub... I have no idea what he said, then or now. I'm reasonably sure it was English. My loss.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #285

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I listened to Billy Carter speak on a few occasions . Since I could not understand what he was saying I tried to pick out and decifer certain words and then mentally fill in the rest of the sentence.
Most of the time I failed to translate correctly what he was saying.
I once had a US southern to Standard English dictionary / translation guide given to me by the U of T at Knoxville.
Although it was of some help , my hearing was not good enough to do a direct translations.
The " Drawl" is one of the biggest obstacles for me . I am into the next sentence long before the previous sentence is complete.
Like the word "You All" , my brain translated the word into
" You Haul " and thusly the sentences often made no sense .
" You Haul, You Haul" still makes no sense and is redundant to this day .
You might have trouble then understanding me at times.
A few beers and I slip a bit.
My hearing is not so great either. But mine is mostly higher pitches. Women and little children are real hard to understand and consonant sounds are often missed. Sometimes filling in the blanks in my hearing causes a no way they said that response in my mind.
And it's y'all
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #286

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Now that does remind me a little of the time I missed a British Railways connection between Inverness and Edinburgh and was forced to spend a chilly January night at a small rural station waiting for an early morning train. When the stationmaster found my friend and myself huddled inside our parkas attempting to sleep on benches, he kindly invited us into his overheated and smoky office where he happily regaled us with stories until the train arrived several hours later. Unfortunately, between his heavy country brogue, suffocating cigar smoke, and the aftereffects of the previous day's overindulgence in excellent Scotch single malt at an Inverness pub... I have no idea what he said, then or now. I'm reasonably sure it was English. My loss.
I once picked up a hitchhiker who hailed from Liverpool and was touring the US. I swear for three hundred miles I had to ask him to repeat nearly every word he said.
While colloquial dialects vary across the US and across the south, The middle south dialects are generally the most grammatically correct with a higher percentage of proper enunciation than most of the rest of the country. The voice of a Southern Belle can be so fascinating and lyrical as to make the voices of the Sirens of Greek mythology sound like the croakings of a bullfrog dining on crushed glass!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #287

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
You might have trouble then understanding me at times.
A few beers and I slip a bit.
My hearing is not so great either. But mine is mostly higher pitches. Women and little children are real hard to understand and consonant sounds are often missed. Sometimes filling in the blanks in my hearing causes a no way they said that response in my mind.
And it's y'all
I can relate , I have an approx 75% hearing loss. Like you, women and children are almost impossible to hear or understand.
My wife softens the tone and volume at the end of sentences so I try to fill in the missing words which often changes the meaning of the sentence or gets me in trouble.
We often watch PBS and if the show's host is Female and from the Southern US my wife has to translate for me or the whole program sounds like someone talking with a mouth full of oatmeal.
Sure is fun to get old !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #288

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
I'll try to help get this thread to 300.

My hearing is going too, as enjoyable as older age can be, the new aches and pains and hearing loss really are not fun.

This thread started talking about the quality of RV's. Our Escape is now 11 years old and in many respects is nearly as good as new. Had to replace the cable hatch and both small plastic vent covers last year, but that's no fault of Escape, plastic subjected to sun breaks down. I've also had to tighten many screws in the trailer but that's not a manufacturing issue, I know how much the trailer bounces going down the road.

I feel sorry for Steve (not really) not being able to understand our temperatures and weather forecasts when he heads to Canada but we face the same going south, that's why our weather app is set in C for wherever we travel.

And speaking of weather which we are all complaining about it seems, it's good to be able to enjoy the cold weather for example by snowshoeing which I've done three times in the last five days while staying with a friend outside Thunder Bay. Last night, at a balmy -18C (That's ZERO for those stuck on F) I had a lovely moonlight walk in the woods. The full moon was surrounded by a halo which unfortunately does not show well in the pic.

Happy New Year all.

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2040.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #289

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Does that halo follow you around?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #290

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Does that halo follow you around?
No Glenn but I did wear my collar on Sunday. I got to baptize our 8th grandchild at our home church here in Thunder Bay.

Adrian
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #291

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
No Glenn but I did wear my collar on Sunday. I got to baptize our 8th grandchild at our home church here in Thunder Bay.

Adrian
Nice!

You must have a little rabbit in your blood, or someone down the line does, Adrian.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #292

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nice!

You must have a little rabbit in your blood, or someone down the line does, Adrian.
Boy am I slow on the uptake today Jim, first thought you were referring to my snowshoeing not my number of grands

Adrian
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #293

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It's fine to build things efficiently, but cutting corners to build faster is a problem. Roofs on stickies are notorious for problems where they apply the sealant after the installation of the roof fittings, for instance.

The trailer industry seems to have figured out every way to save a few seconds and a few pennies, and then they try to do it all faster and faster, which brings it's own problems.

But even Oliver has suffered from trying to ramp up production on a quality trailer. They take risks, use cheaper equipment and hire less skilled labor. The problems they have had have cost them sales and warrantee issues. In their case, there are no distributors so it complicates the repairs. They are also resistant to believing the problems are real.

Mine was made before they really tried to ramp up production, but that also meant they had less building experience and had less engineering experience, so they made rookie mistakes in design and in business techniques.

Smaller companies can have their hearts in the right place, but not have their product refined. Larger companies can have the product refined, but be more interested in what they can get away with. Image and profit over quality.

One thing that attracted me to lil’ Snoozy was that it is not only molded fiberglass, but they refuse to mount ANYTHING on the roof.
Most campers of any construction have something mounted on the roof; be it AC units, vents, radio antennas, etc.
Although I did not buy a Snoozy, for reasons of convenience and cost, I at least got a sloping roof of 1-pc fiberglass (for better H2O runoff and good aerodynamics) and a good seal around the AC unit.
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #294

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in WIS View Post
One thing that attracted me to lil’ Snoozy was that it is not only molded fiberglass, but they refuse to mount ANYTHING on the roof.
Most campers of any construction have something mounted on the roof; be it AC units, vents, radio antennas, etc.
Although I did not buy a Snoozy, for reasons of convenience and cost, I at least got a sloping roof of 1-pc fiberglass (for better H2O runoff and good aerodynamics) and a good seal around the AC unit.
Actually it is not molded fiberglass.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #295

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Floyd, are you saying that the Winnebago is not molded fiberglass or the Lil Snoozy?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #296

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Floyd, are you saying that the Winnebago is not molded fiberglass or the Lil Snoozy?
Dave & Paula
The Li'l Snoozy.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #297

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Well, what is it then? Nest, HC1, Lil Snoozy and many fiberglass ski boats are made this way, and the two molded halves are fiberglassed together to make one unit. I know that the molds don’t use sprayed chopped fiberglass or hand layed cloth, but rather a matting layed up in the mold and vacuumed to inject the resin into the fiber matting.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #298

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
If a Snoozy shell isn't molded fiberglass (it's fiberglass and comes out of a mold) then it's something better. Try standing or kneeling on the roof of a Casita, Scamp, Escape etc. Of all the single hull molded fiberglass towables on the market, the one thing that I think Snoozy does right is to make a thicker and stronger shell.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 AM   #299

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Does the shell retain the shape of the mold it came out of?
If so, then it was “molded”.
A jig uses a different approach, entirely. It holds the fiberglass sheet it place in order to fasten it to the frame or perform other work on location in an accurate manner.
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in WIS View Post
Does the shell retain the shape of the mold it came out of?
If so, then it was “molded”.
OK, but it is a totally different process and there are several which would meet your criteria...These are molded as well...