for a good chuckle today..... - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #81

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No offense but...
I disagree with your first parenthetical remark and have seen comparatively innocuous remarks stricken as offensive political commentary. While I don't personally share your sense of shame over health insurance I would be happy to list several things for which we should be ashamed, if it were appropriate in this venue.
I see I am not the only one who enjoys being eristic !!
Merry Christmas Floyd !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #82

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Along those lines, though, I've been considering buying a good size tent, maybe a canvas wall tent. Something I can stand in, put a cot and table in. Big enough to comfortably spend some time in.
LLBean has a history of changing their models, but not their product names. But the King Pine "6-person" tent I've had maybe 10 years is great for car based camping. Big enough for two cots in the main body, and a really nice screen room with plenty of room for two chairs and a cooler. My 6'2" stands in the middle of either section, but if I were much shorter, solo setup would be hard to get the fly properly over that size frame. If it didn't need about a dozen stakes, and wasn't a pain to deal with wet, I may have never shown up here.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #83

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Thanks Bob. I'll definitely look into some lightweight, modern options. I like the idea of a canvas wall tent, but they aren't cheap.

My first backpacking tent was from LLBean and it lasted me about ten years, with pretty heavy use.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #84

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I'll definitely look into some lightweight, modern options. I like the idea of a canvas wall tent, but they aren't cheap.

My first backpacking tent was from LLBean and it lasted me about ten years, with pretty heavy use.
I have a heavy canvas Wenzel Cabin tent which I bought over 40 years ago. It is much heavier than most modern tents and in some ways more of a burden. (certainly not for backpacking)
We also have a three room nylon tent, it is most often chosen when my kids borrow a tent.
While it may languish in the attic, deferring to its modern counterpart, The Wenzel is far superior if you find yourself facing a sudden thunderstorm in the middle of the night.

Comparing the two... The Canvas seems almost more "cabin" than "tent".

I think you will find the modern lightweight option to be your best choice anyway, especially for summer and fair weather camping.
The Wenzel is dark and hot inside on a summer day.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #85

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
The twist and turns of a thread has taken to tent camping. Turning 60 yrs old, and been a tent camper all my life, and now down to 1 tent camp out per yr. with friends on a riverbank. I'm ready to get off the ground and in a bed for my travels.
As mentioned, I'm limited on finances, and go back and forth with options. I have never owned anything extravagant. Purchasing my tow vehicle over the holidays and my 2012 Chevy Silverado 4 wheel drive will be the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and most expensive purchase. I've rented all my life!! I plan to save every dime I can in the next 3 years of my employment before retirement.
Even with all the back and forth, I always end up back to what I really want - a decent fiberglass trailer that will accommodate my height to stand up in and sleep comfortably in. Gosh dangit, I deserve it!!!
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #86

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have a heavy canvas Wenzel Cabin tent which I bought over 40 years ago. It is much heavier than most modern tents and in some ways more of a burden. (certainly not for backpacking)
We also have a three room nylon tent, it is most often chosen when my kids borrow a tent.
While it may languish in the attic, deferring to its modern counterpart, The Wenzel is far superior if you find yourself facing a sudden thunderstorm in the middle of the night.

Comparing the two... The Canvas seems almost more "cabin" than "tent".

I think you will find the modern lightweight option to be your best choice anyway, especially for summer and fair weather camping.
The Wenzel is dark and hot inside on a summer day.
I bought a Wenzel 8x10 Hi Wall canvas tent when I first started working for Montgomery Ward in 1967
. The tent made it through 40 years of Canadian Fishing trips and deer hunting trips . It saw many a thunderstorm , quite a few blizzards and below zero nights
I still have fond memories of tent camping, my mind says yes , my back says no.
I loaned the tent to my younger sister ,she put the tent away wet
, mold got the better of it and ruined the tent.
My kids and grandkids camp in a pop up trailer and seem to do just fine.
The RV life is fun for us but it's not for everyone.
I don't think what you camp in is as important as with who and where you camp !!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #87

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
A lot of what we do makes no sense if you look from a strictly economic perspective. I'll leave that to economists. It's important to take into consideration, but does not need to be the final say.

Along those lines, though, I've been considering buying a good size tent, maybe a canvas wall tent. Something I can stand in, put a cot and table in. Big enough to comfortably spend some time in.

And leave the trailer at home on some trips.
While I have always looked at spending decisions from a financial perspective, the number 1 consideration to me is whether it fits within my budget. I have not saved for 40 years just to hoard it. We like to put it to work on funding more experiences and activities.

When a molded FG didn't fit within our budget, we didn't own one. Once it did, we got one. (An Airstream still doesn't fit within our means, so we won't buy one). Those that think it pays out in hotel savings, food savings, etc., are kidding themselves. But if it fits within your budget, then go for it.

Now that we are retired, I like to say: "Its easier to spend money than to find more of it."

On the subject of tents, having owned a lot of different brand outdoor equipment, I find LL Bean to be the very best! Now the guarantee from Eddie Bauer is also excellent. I had a rain fly fail on a ten year old EB tent. They replaced it no charge. REI used to have a great guarantee but no more.

LL Bean guarantee: "Any L.L. Bean-made item can be returned with no time limit or proof of purchase, as long as you make it clear you are somehow dissatisfied with how the product has held up."

Eddie Bauer: "UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME GUARANTEE Every product we sell is designed to be the best and built to last. If anything you buy falls short of those standards, you're invited to return it at any time."

REI: one year only, and you better have a receipt or show up on their computer, so a gift from someone and you could be SOL: "We stand behind everything we sell. If you're not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase, except for outdoor electronics, which must be returned within 90 days of purchase."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #88

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
The twist and turns of a thread has taken to tent camping. Turning 60 yrs old, and been a tent camper all my life, and now down to 1 tent camp out per yr. with friends on a riverbank. I'm ready to get off the ground and in a bed for my travels.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171219_100255.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	114629
Old 12-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #89

NW Wisconsin
As I approach 70 , a lifetime warranty takes on less and less meaning.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #90

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Have seen many clever names RVers give the rigs--this is one of the best!
Bill rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #91

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Good points Floyd (and everyone).

Canvas is tempting cause I like old fashioned, sturdy stuff, and has the benefit of being used in colder temps with a stove. But I agree it wouldn’t be so nice in the summer. Maybe both...

And of course the wall tent is only good if I’m staying put for at least a few days.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #92

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I see I am not the only one who enjoys being eristic !!
Merry Christmas Floyd !!
Funny. Anyone who has followed this forum for any length of time knows that Floyd and I have debated several issues. I do not, however, perceive Floyd as eristic, which if it were up to me would be defined as obnoxiously argumentative, or perhaps simply extremely abrasive. While some members here may be described as eristic (by my definition), I definitely would not include Floyd as one of them. He passionately defends his opinions, but he doesn’t intentionally spread discord for the sake of being contrary.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #93

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Maybe it is time to quite talking as if there only being two alternatives in the travel trailer industry as in stickies and molded fiberglass. Many of the newest small travel trailers are not either one of those two types. Instead they are composite panel construction. For instance the @tab trailers among quite a few makers of this newer type of trailer construction. They don't have traditional wood framing and they are not molded fiberglass either. They are much lighter in weight than wood framed trailers, the small amount of framing they do have is typically aluminum extrusion. They are not all that much different in weight than many of the molded fiberglass trailers.

So while I realize we have an ever aging population of retired persons in RV forums we can still move on into the modern era in our thinking about what is out there in the market. I myself still prefer a molded fiberglass trailer but nowadays there is another light weight option that is much more rot resistant than the wood framed trailers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #94
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Maybe it is time to quite talking as if there only being two alternatives in the travel trailer industry as in stickies and molded fiberglass. Many of the newest small travel trailers are not either one of those two types. Instead they are composite panel construction. For instance the @tab trailers among quite a few makers of this newer type of trailer construction. They don't have traditional wood framing and they are not molded fiberglass either. They are much lighter in weight than wood framed trailers, the small amount of framing they do have is typically aluminum extrusion. They are not all that much different in weight than many of the molded fiberglass trailers.

So while I realize we have an ever aging population of retired persons in RV forums we can still move on into the modern era in our thinking about what is out there in the market. I myself still prefer a molded fiberglass trailer but nowadays there is another light weight option that is much more rot resistant than the wood framed trailers.
Yup. True confession, the T@B is on my short list if my Trillium were ever totalled. Despite having to buy through a dealer and more stuff than I want, there is not much currently in production in fiberglass that matches better.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #95

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
for a good chuckle today.....

I'd buy another Scamp (or similar) without hesitation. If that weren't possible, I'd look for a pre-Thor Camplite all-aluminum trailer. Just happened to see a 14' on Craigslist today for under $10K, similar layout to a basic 13' Scamp but a little bigger all around. My third choice would be a high quality traditional stick-built such as Taylor Coach.

I'm not sold on laminated construction. They say delamination is much less common than in the past, but I'm still wary.

One thing I am sold on is products from small, independent builders.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #96

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have located an ideal RV. It looks durable enough for off-road travel. I haven't seen how good the inside cabinets are, but I suspect they will hold up pretty well. Now, to get one ordered with a wet bath....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ariete5.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	114643

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #97

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
They get around well but they're rough to ride in, cramped and noisy.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #98

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If that weren't possible, I'd look for a pre-Thor Camplite all-aluminum trailer. Just happened to see a 14' on Craigslist today for under $10K, similar layout to a basic 13' Scamp but a little bigger all around.
I love the idea of aluminum (non-rusting, non-rotting) construction. A hailstorm would be tough on it though... and that rear end is completely non-aerodynamic, which is just as important on drag as the front end.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #99

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
I love the idea of aluminum (non-rusting, non-rotting) construction. A hailstorm would be tough on it though... and that rear end is completely non-aerodynamic, which is just as important on drag as the front end.
Sounds like you need a fiberglass egg then -
(non-rusting, non rotting and hail-proof...)

Round and round we go....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #100

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Funny. Anyone who has followed this forum for any length of time knows that Floyd and I have debated several issues. I do not, however, perceive Floyd as eristic, which if it were up to me would be defined as obnoxiously argumentative, or perhaps simply extremely abrasive. While some members here may be described as eristic (by my definition), I definitely would not include Floyd as one of them. He passionately defends his opinions, but he doesn’t intentionally spread discord for the sake of being contrary.
"obnoxiously argumentative" and "simply extremely abrasive" are as clear to me as whack with a 2x4, but I have to admit I had to look up "eristic" - it is much more subtle.

eristic, adj. 1. also eristical, pertaining to controversy or disputation; controversial. -n 2. a person who engages in disputation; controversialist. 3. the art of disputation [1630-40; < Gk eristicos ...] (from my big fat Random House Dictionary)
So you guys worship Eris, the goddess of discord, right?

Thank you for the opportunity to learn something new (almost) every day!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote