for a good chuckle today..... - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #181

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Yes Glenn, it does make me feel good to say I get 40 mpg but it makes me feel better to actually get it, LOL!
A good buddy of mine who makes the same trip, only in the opposite direction, when he comes to visit me, drives a big Dodge Hemi. He could get 20 mpg on the highway (he claims) but never does. His foot is too heavy. It's not only what you drive that determines mpg but how you drive it!
(P.S. I sometimes play with gear ratios)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #182

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I will, and often do, still bend over to pick up a lost penny from the ground. Waste not...

Without many pennies, all our northern neighbors can do to us southerners when we visit, is nickel-and-dime us.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #183

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
What and entertaining thread this has been...

Here is just one number to remember to convert mpg to l/100km: 236

3.785*100/1.60 = 236, or, why not make it 240 - which is close enough for arguments and equal to ten days in hours. (Is that a good mnemonic?)

Somebody else on this forum brought it up, I cannot take credit. Take that number and divide by the number you have to get the other number. Works both ways. 10 mpg = 24 l/100km, or 10 l/100km = 24 mpg.

And, I also pick up every penny I see on the ground.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #184

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or you just dowload a free mileage app, like MPG CALC, and fill in the blanks.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #185

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Here is just one number to remember to convert mpg to l/100km: 236

3.785*100/1.60 = 236, or, why not make it 240 - which is close enough for arguments and equal to ten days in hours. (Is that a good mnemonic?)

Somebody else on this forum brought it up, I cannot take credit. Take that number and divide by the number you have to get the other number. Works both ways. 10 mpg = 24 l/100km, or 10 l/100km = 24 mpg.

And, I also pick up every penny I see on the ground.
Someone is going to have to explain that one to me real slow coz I aint getting it!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #186

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My TC is the first vehicle in which the computer is consistently accurate for fuel economy. If that is normal now, then you don't even have to do the math or convert, the car does it for you!
Unless you want MPIG.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #187

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Someone is going to have to explain that one to me real slow coz I aint getting it!
While I clearly understand it and have always been good at all levels of math, I have trouble explaining it. It just is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #188

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We are used to all other conversions being directly proportional, whereas this one inversely proportional. One quantity is distance per gasoline amount, the other is gasoline per distance. At first I was struggling with it as well.
The 3.785 is liters per gallon, the 1.60 is km/mile. Maybe that helps?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #189

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
We'll probably eliminate the Bitcoin before we eliminate the penny. Hah.

Someone a hundred posts back posted a tank as a sturdy RV. No question, but if you want to literally "cut" through traffic, try to beat this. Had a GMC Yukon, but couldn't figure out which option package this was. It sure generates a lot of brass.
"Honey, I'll drive, you ride shotgun."

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #190

Name: Mark
Trailer: Bigfoot on order
South Dakota
Scary and Enlightening

Looking at the speed of build, the lack of precision in placing fasteners, and and the crap materials is shocking. Really the use nail guns on a vehicle that is in motion and subject to vibration and dynamic stress. This is a wood trailer and that may work for a tiny home to be towed a few times in its life but on a vehicle that will be bouncing down the road is a design joke. Jayco may want to delete this and hope no one has made a copy.
Ursorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #191

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
We'll probably eliminate the Bitcoin before we eliminate the penny. Hah.

Someone a hundred posts back posted a tank as a sturdy RV. No question, but if you want to literally "cut" through traffic, try to beat this. Had a GMC Yukon, but couldn't figure out which option package this was. It sure generates a lot of brass.
"Honey, I'll drive, you ride shotgun."

That roof gun is the perfect accessory to take care of noisy generators in the CG!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #192

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
That roof gun is the perfect accessory to take care of noisy generators in the CG!
Perhaps......but the currently used Abrams gets somewhere around .6 MPG. One would more likely be concerned with the cost of the next leg of the trip rather than the sound of the generator in the next campsite. Armored vehicles are not exactly fuel efficient.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #193

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Seems to me we were about to convert the USA to metric but Ronald Reagan didn't care for it and put the kibosh on it.

By the way, Ursorock, Mark, what are you doing, going back on topic? How can you?

Happy Holidays!

BEST
Kai
Old 12-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #194

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Even though a lot of people laugh when they remember being told, decades ago, that we were imminently switching to the metric system, we mostly have. At least in the sciences, which a heck of a lot of people in the US are working in.

Hydrology uses some confusing combinations, too, measuring stream height on staff gauges in feet and tenths of feet, rather than inches.

I remember having to survey a hill using an actual 66' chain and staff compass in college...And you still get taught to measure how many paces per chain you take when you work for the Forest Service, at least doing forestry work. In the US system, the numbers make very little sense. They make a lot more sense in the metric system.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #195

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Hydrology uses some confusing combinations, too, measuring stream height on staff gauges in feet and tenths of feet, rather than inches.
And Zach, let’s not forget one of the most ridiculous (IMO) hydrology measurements of all, namely acre-feet.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #196

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I just convert everything sold in liters back into ounces so it makes sense. IE 750 Ml = a fifth, 1 Ltr = Approx 1 quart , 1.75 Ltr = a short half gallon. 350 ml = One can of beer
Makes buying alcohol so much simpler . I still think they started packaging things in metric containers to make the packages smaller and cheat Americans out of product.

Plus Metric is just too complicated and arbitrary!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #197

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Plus Metric is just too complicated and arbitrary!
Metric is so simple and natural... I live in USA for 20 years, but I look at weather conditions in C but not F. I wonder why you use hours and minutes but not something strange too :-) Well, AM/PM stuff seems to me strange. So you're OK :-)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #198

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am just too complicated and arbitrary!
Edited for accuracy.

Joking aside, you can't possibly be serious, are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Metric is so simple and natural...
As one who has extensively worked in both, metric is WAY simpler and easier to use.

One measure of length in metric, the metre. Though other measures such as kilometre and millimetre are used to keep numbers small, these others all still correlate with each other. No fractional inches, inches, feet, yards and miles.

As a Canadian, I am bound to work in imperial units because we have given in to the larger US pressure with exported products that we also use here. I can do it, with not too much problem, as I do it near daily, but whenever I have work measuring in metric, it is just so much easier and logical.

Temperature with 0° as freezing, and 100° as boiling, instead of 32° and 212°. Where did those numbers come from any way.

In metric, one cubic centimetre of water, is one millilitre, is one gram in weight. Show me an imperial equivalent this simple.

I could go on, but have so many times before.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #199

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Edited for accuracy.

Joking aside, you can't possibly be serious, are you?

As one who has extensively worked in both, metric is WAY simpler and easier to use.

One measure of length in metric, the metre. Though other measures such as kilometre and millimetre are used to keep numbers small, these others all still correlate with each other. No fractional inches, inches, feet, yards and miles.

As a Canadian, I am bound to work in imperial units because we have given in to the larger US pressure with exported products that we also use here. I can do it, with not too much problem, as I do it near daily, but whenever I have work measuring in metric, it is just so much easier and logical.

Temperature with 0° as freezing, and 100° as boiling, instead of 32° and 212°. Where did those numbers come from any way.

In metric, one cubic centimetre of water, is one millilitre, is one gram in weight. Show me an imperial equivalent this simple.

I could go on, but have so many times before.
I may well be arbitrary and complicated but that does not change my opinion of the metric system . I was never a fan of Ronald Reagan but if he prevented the takeover of the metric system in America then my opinion of him just went way up.
It's all in one's perspective !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #200

Florida
Registry
OK, Mr. Bennett. Here’s my hypothetical for the day. We all know where the imperial system originated, and all the “children” utilized it for a long time. When the EU came along, “Mama” begrudgingly adopted the metric system. So....., what is going to be the accepted standard of weights and measures in the mother country once Brexit is complete? Regardless of how things are weighed and measured across the pond, it is certain they will still be driving on the wrong side of the road.