Ford Lightning disappointing update - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This is becoming both political and personal.

I’ve no current plans to buy a Lightning or any other electric vehicle, but I’d rather hear about the technical issues and actual owner experiences. My heart tells me our current lifestyle expectations are unsustainable, regardless of the energy source.

I feel like I’m just young enough to accept the possibility of an electric vehicle in my driveway, and just old enough to be skeptical it will actually save the planet…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
The recent situation in Virginia with a 100+ cars being stranded on the interstate overnight in snow and cold…. If most of those vehicles had been electric would their batteries have lasted overnight to provide heat? If the batteries were discharged during the night would the vehicles need to be towed once the road was cleared? I don’t think we have mobile charge stations yet. I like the idea of electric vehicles but with current technology their use is limited.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #23

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
The extended range Ford requires an 80 amp charger for the quickest recharge. You would have to have a 100 amp breaker installed in your breaker panel to run the charger. Can you imagine the electric bill to run that every night.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
We have a Prius prime at home which gets 25 to 30 miles of range, then goes to hybrid mode at 50 mpg. It’s a good model that could be duplicated and increase the electric range. No range anxiety and 90 percent of our car travel is covered in the local are. Ford electric trucks will appeal to fleet managers that work in a 100 mile radius and have the facility for rapid charging. I think that was the market it was designed for as well as well healed people who want the latest tech. If hydrogen generation can be solved it’s an ideal fuel as it emits no pollutants when combusted. Toyota is coming out with electric cars that I suspect will be effective and long lasting. Our 2004 f150 hauls the trailer, but I’d much rather have a hybrid that could get better gas mileage and non towing efficiency. I’m old, my kids and grandchild are going to have to inhabit this world after I’m gone, I guess I’m one of those liberals that is interested in supporting the application of tech to reduce the planet warming. I see that as an upside. Electric is not there yet for towing, I hope to see it before I die. But to dismiss it out of hand is unrealistic also. I worked for the NPS for 30 years and we had a fuel cell powering a facility for a while at a location in Ohio. I personally would like to see effective mass transit being developed, but the fossil fuel grip on our country is fierce.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #25

Name: Douglas
Trailer: GrandDesign
New York
AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Gee. I’m sorry that the Ford Lightning doesn’t meet your requirements. Further, I’m sorry (and repetitive) that electric vehicles aren’t ready for prime time. I hope that you feel better soon.

Have you heard of Tesla? They sold 936,000 electric cars in 2021. Every person I know who has one loves them. (They don’t correlate with my needs and I’m not much interested in owning one.) Off topic, Tesla figured out how to manufacture cars during semiconductor shortages and while our “big three” were making funny noises with their fingers and lips.

I haven’t checked, but I don’t believe that “MANY areas of the country have trouble providing BASIC electric service to ALL of their people / businesses who want and need steady, RELIABLE electric service (ie NO rolling brownouts)”. I have heard about the fires in California. That doesn’t apply to Iowa, Brooklyn, Alabama, New Mexico,,, etc. It barely applies to California.

I suspect that the key to understanding what you are saying is discernible from your sentence “The fantasy liberals desperately want this technology to "save the world". They just can't grasp / won't accept that much (most?) of these technologies are today (and for the foreseeable future) "pie in the sky". In case you haven’t noticed, just in case, global warming is threatening your grand kids and maybe your kids too. My only vehicle has a 6.2 liter gas engine. EVs aren’t ready to tow 8K pounds. (Yeah,,, I do know about the electric semis on the road. I also need to solve my 6.2L problem.) The end is in sight.

I used to believe that EVs were an interim solution and hydrogen was the real answer. Now I believe that both will be required and coexist.

It’s all the liberals fault. They just don’t like hydrocarbons.
AMEN!

While electric technology isn't here yet for heavy RV towing, especially long distances, it is great for regular around town messing around! And it is here if you want to tow boats and smaller stuff. This should not be a liberal/conservative issue. Intelligent governments have been promoting advances in technology and transportation since before the Romans built a road and aqueduct system. Here in the good old USA, taxpayers subsidized canals, roads, railroads, airlines and interstates. Government steps in to boost technology precisely when and because it's too high risk for private investors. Early auto roads, railroads and even the first canal across NY were all subsidized by state and federal road money, contracts, and land grants. Intelligent, progressing nations invest public money in big projects and make smart policy before it is a wise investment for the private sector to do so...
DougAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #26

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
One of the things that camping with a trailer does, is teach people about common sense physics, batteries, energy use and the sources of that energy. But we have to get out there, and accept that there are limits, in order to get how it works.

I just shake my head at the notion that someone would try to run an electric heater off grid. And I'm seeing so many first time trailer owners that cannot conceive of going "camping" without AC. Many seem to think that throwing a solar panel up on the roof will allow all of this. Or just paying someone to make it happen, is the way to go. Just yesterday I was talking to a new trailer owner who found a company that will, supposedly, install 1400 watts of solar on their new small trailer, add a huge battery bank, and make the AC work as much as needed. Others insist on carrying a generator for this purpose, only because they think they cannot live without AC. I get that some areas are hot, but planning to always have these conveniences available with the push of a button, and insisting they cannot go anywhere without it, reveals they have no experience or understanding of the situation.

I may just be an old curmudgeon, but I'm going farther and farther out of my way to avoid the crowds these days. I would never consider starting a generator next to someone else's rig and let it drone on for hours, so I could sit inside with the AC on. How is that fun?

Solar and batteries may not do everything we can imagine, but they have come a very long way and are totally functional and practical, within reason. They won't power my 3/4 tone truck, but they will power my trailer and allow me to be completely off-grid in a very comfortable way. The truck is only needed to get here, the trailer has a continuous need for energy all the time we are here.

I keep recommending people go out and start camping somewhere with the minimum and make a list of what else they need, while watching their batteries. Having the luxury of a small trailer is itself, a wonderful experience. Here we are in winter, and last night here in N. Nevada, at the lake, there was nobody around but us. The coyotes were singing, the geese were squawking, and the fire was crackling. The batteries were happy to run the propane furnace, the solar is dutifully charging the batteries to keep up. In the mornings, I make coffee in my electric coffee maker (!) and it always makes me laugh to do so. We finally have a trailer where power usage is met with the supply. It is completely comfortable and practical. We don't plug in. Which means we can go anywhere and be just fine and self sufficient in a simple way, and still have luxuries, like movies, electric coffee, and excellent meals. My battery monitor reads out in percentage of remaining charge, watts in and watts out. It makes it easy to balance loads with supply.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
You mentioned the F150 with the PowerBoost hybrid which seems worth consideration. It actually has the highest torque rating of any F150. The 7.5kw power pack is a low cost option. Maybe it wouldn't completely recharge the trailer battery w/o the engine turning on but would be handy for using the microwave or even running the A/C for awhile in the evening. I wouldn't want the truck engine starting up randomly but there may be a setting to prevent that. They don't give much info online.
I have a 2019 F-150 and was very interested in their hybrid until I found out how small their battery is. It isn't much bigger than the battery in one of my custom Ebikes. If they came up with a plug-in hybrid with a bigger battery so there was more power available without running the engine, we would finally have a best solution for a RV tow vehicle.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #28

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
When you buy an electric car or truck.....can you pay cash or do you have to "charge" it??????
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #29

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16' "Snufkin"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
If they came up with a plug-in hybrid with a bigger battery so there was more power available without running the engine, we would finally have a best solution for a RV tow vehicle.
That would be wonderful! An ideal truck for camping - no range issues and would power stuff for hours. One day one of the manufacturers will make it.
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #30

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I have a 2019 F-150 and was very interested in their hybrid until I found out how small their battery is. It isn't much bigger than the battery in one of my custom Ebikes. If they came up with a plug-in hybrid with a bigger battery so there was more power available without running the engine, we would finally have a best solution for a RV tow vehicle.
Wouldn't it be better to have a larger lithium trailer battery in the trailer and charge that with a high amp system from the truck, such as an Anderson plug pumping out 30-50 amps or even more? This is how I'm doing it. Instead of having a larger lithium battery in the truck and running 120 volts to the trailer to run loads or charge? Charging with 12 volts from the truck also means no expensive truck options and a system that could be used with any truck. It seems the inverter in the truck is better suited to construction sites or camping without a trailer, but maybe I don't get it.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #31

California
Totally agree! We love camping and did just fine towing our Casita with our minivan for last 4 years. We take a break December - March because it gets a bit colder. Camping at King's Canyon last July got a little uncomfortable in a 105F weather with no AC, so we hightailed to Pismo Beach (got lucky with someone's cancellation) and then to visit friends in Bay Area instead of continuing on to Sequoia NP for another week.
As kids are growing our trusty minivan's purpose would be better served by a 4 door truck, so I thought (hoped) that Lightning would fit the bill AND enable us to camp more comfortably in all seasons. But yes, it's clearly not a necessity by any means.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #32

California
Another concept to help EVs with towing

Sid just posted an interesting article on another thread that is very closely correlated to the issues discussed on this thread. Basically it's about a new technology placing electric motors on trailer's axle to dramatically increase range. Probably would take forever (if ever) to get into one of our conservative FBG manufacturers and will increase price a lot, but conceptually very intriguing.
I am reposting it here for everyone's convenience:
https://fuentitech.com/thor-moves-fo...railer/459376/
Old 01-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
From a recent episode of Quirks and Quarks on CBC radio:

Are electric cars truly carbon emission-free, if the source of the electricity is a carbon source?
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/2017...urce-1.4410563
Old 01-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #34

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Towing long distances with an EV could be do-able if you towed a generator trailer behind your camper trailer. Just put a 10,000 (or larger) watt remote start generator and a 100 gallon fuel tank on the generator trailer and wire it all up. When your battery gauge gets down into the yellow, fire it up without even having to stop. And keep driving. You can get what the truckers call a "reefer ticket" at the truck stop and they will discount the road use tax.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #35

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in LA View Post
Sid just posted an interesting article on another thread that is very closely correlated to the issues discussed on this thread. Basically it's about a new technology placing electric motors on trailer's axle to dramatically increase range. Probably would take forever (if ever) to get into one of our conservative FBG manufacturers and will increase price a lot, but conceptually very intriguing.
I am reposting it here for everyone's convenience:
https://fuentitech.com/thor-moves-fo...railer/459376/

All it takes is an entrepreneur with a lot of money and energy to gamble and put it together. Sadly entrepreneurs have been outlawed.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #36

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Speaking of air conditioning, there are some Escape owners who are successfully running mini split systems within lithium battery banks, one in particular has a very elaborate and over the top system of solar, so it can be done. My new trailer will be a modest two panel and a 200 amp hour battery which should suffice for any off grid I’ll be doing, most likely music festivals. Hybrid batteries assist is still a good way to get maximum efficiency out of a gas engine. As well as power. Unfortunately the stratospheric truck prices will keep more efficient vehicles out of a lot of peoples hands. I’m going to replace our inefficient 5.4 Triton later this year after the delivery of our trailer. However no matter what, towing and gas mileage are not a recipe for efficiency. I do like energy independence once I’m at a site.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #37

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
All it takes is an entrepreneur with a lot of money and energy to gamble and put it together. Sadly entrepreneurs have been outlawed.
I think Elon Musk is doing ok
Old 01-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #38

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Sadly entrepreneurs have been outlawed.
Gonna be news to a bunch of rich guys....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:52 PM   #39

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Sadly entrepreneurs have been outlawed.
What? I don't think so.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #40
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In the future......

It's been a long day towing your Scamp with your EV. You pull off the interstate and into the 50 acre charging lot with hopes of finding a site for the night. Your EV can charge and you can spend the night in the trailer. The lot seems full until you discover an open site. You pull in, ready for a good nights sleep when you discover the lot is reservation only and this site is reserved.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light