Ford Maverick - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Ford Maverick

I just found out that ford is coming out with an economical hybrid truck. It reminds me of a Honda Ridgeline. It has a 1500 pound payload and a 2000 pound tow capacity. That should be good for the medium and smaller RVs.

They are calling it a 2022 so will it be out this fall?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer...h=4a8b2af2deb9

ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

Massachusetts
It will be out this fall.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
4000 pound capacity with the 2.0L Ecoboost and 8spd automatic.
2.5L/ CVT Hybrid is standard (FWD only)

AWD is optional with the 2.0L.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I just found out that ford is coming out with an economical hybrid truck. ...
RAZ beat you to the post.. .https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...kup-95934.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
This was my first car. This is a true Ford Maverick. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
6FE4C0AA-5446-4A5F-957C-8E079780EFF8.jpg  
Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #6

Massachusetts
WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Before I posted I checked the recent posts on the right and there wasn't anything. OH WELL.

I am surprised that I missed this. At least the video I posted is new.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Recent posts, on the right, scrolls by at a rate of half a page a day.
I've even searched for a thread I posted on the day before, and I recall key words, but can't find anything.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:16 AM   #8

Massachusetts
Yeah but that other thread lasted about 2 weeks. So I am surprised I missed it. I would click on anything about a Ford truck.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
On my PC and browser there is a limit of 16 "Recent Discussions" on the right side panel, so as soon as there are 16.. the bottom one scrolls off the page (I assume). That could take a day or two on average.. but it could also happen in a few hours if the forum got very active. What I do is click on the NEW POSTS button on the top bar with the blue background (original theme) and then I see ALL posts that are new to me.

Anyway glad you got to see the other posts.. as mentioned, I see some positives for the Maverick including some things that should have been done with the Ranger. But its still not a "truck truck" so time will tell how well it does.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #10

https://www.theonion.com/ford-introd...2DuMrNq4Qq2zLA
Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

Massachusetts
Stupid me

Thanks I never noticed that before. Right next to search that I use a lot but then I have been known to look around for my sunglasses for a while and then realize I have them on.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #12

If you click on the arrow, it will take you to your first unread post in that thread. Saves a lot of scrolling.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 8.52.56 AM.png  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Maverick :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
It will be out this fall.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I was really interested in the new Maverick a few weeks ago when I read about it. But the higher gas mileage (40 mpg) version is not suitable for a loaded Scamp . . . though someone may try it. The 8 sp version sounds good for a 13 ft or more , though front wheel drive is not optimum. When I went to my local Ford dealer to see one or get information they said they have nothing and will not until at least spring of 2022. One salesman said production will not start until spring of 2022. And I would not buy a new, untried model until people have put a good many miles on at least a few of them. Cost too is a problem , you will only see the $20,000 price on a piece of paper . David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------
I was really interested in the new Maverick a few weeks ago when I read about it. But the higher gas mileage (40 mpg) version is not suitable for a loaded Scamp . . . though someone may try it. The 8 sp version sounds good for a 13 ft or more , though front wheel drive is not optimum. When I went to my local Ford dealer to see one or get information they said they have nothing and will not until at least spring of 2022. One salesman said production will not start until spring of 2022. And I would not buy a new, untried model until people have put a good many miles on at least a few of them. Cost too is a problem , you will only see the $20,000 price on a piece of paper . David in Fresno and Sonora
We really have a few differences of opinion.
IMO...The Hybrid version would do very well for any Scamp13 including my 13D front bath with a two bike rack on the front.
Front wheel drive works great with our class of small fiberglass trailers
(I would even say "optimal")

The 2.0L-8SPD is rated for 4000# which would leave plenty of margin for ANY Scamp.
There is virtually nothing new or untried in this truck either.
The 2.5L has been around forever as have the basic components of the Hybrid version, And of course the 2.0L Ecoboost has been a staple for years. The 8SPD is now 5YO tech. All tried and true.

I towed my Scamp13Dfor 10 years with the 2.3L version of the 2.5 and subsequently another 5years now with the 2.5L both did very well and both are still in excellent running condition.
As for not buying an "untried" model?...
I bought my 2019 Ranger before the first day of production and it has been flawless now for over 2years. The final cost was well under list.

I am told that production on the Maverick may begin as early as next month or maybe September, but the Ranger was late to production.
My son expects to buy the hybrid ASAP, although I would eschew the CVT Hybrid for the advantages of the 8SPD Ecoboost.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Maverick :

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We really have a few differences of opinion.
IMO...The Hybrid version would do very well for any Scamp13 including my 13D front bath .
I am told that production on the Maverick may begin as early as next month or maybe September, but the Ranger was late to production.
My son expects to buy the hybrid ASAP, although I would eschew the CVT Hybrid for the advantages of the 8SPD Ecoboost.
---------------------

My local Ford dealer was pretty sure that production will not start for months, perhaps spring . And my pessimism probably comes from my Ranger, a 2002. With only 125,000 mi , the engine went out. I bought a new , not rebuilt Ford engine from a dealer ; everything in it was new except the block. It was warrentied for 3 years or 30,000 miles. It lasted about 18 months, or 5k miles before it failed. I got another 'new' engine, it has about 3,000 miles on it now, and we will head for the Oregon Gathering in a couple of weeks. It was under warranty, and I hope it lasts a LOT longer. A new engine from a Ford dealer is not cheap, as you can imagine. I would like to be more optimistic , but it is hard. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
---------------------

My local Ford dealer was pretty sure that production will not start for months, perhaps spring . And my pessimism probably comes from my Ranger, a 2002. With only 125,000 mi , the engine went out. I bought a new , not rebuilt Ford engine from a dealer ; everything in it was new except the block. It was warrentied for 3 years or 30,000 miles. It lasted about 18 months, or 5k miles before it failed. I got another 'new' engine, it has about 3,000 miles on it now, and we will head for the Oregon Gathering in a couple of weeks. It was under warranty, and I hope it lasts a LOT longer. A new engine from a Ford dealer is not cheap, as you can imagine. I would like to be more optimistic , but it is hard. David in Fresno and Sonora
I sure hope the launch isn't delayed as long as the Ranger, but it could well be.

At our house we were taught to always put the oil in the crankcase and the coolant in the radiator, it seems that them what doesn't (or does the oppysit) ends up with engine problems.
Me? I have never had a part which ran in oil ever show wear in a Ford engine. Thus my well founded optimism!

BTW... Which engine is in your Ranger? 2.3L, 3.0L, or 4.0L. I've had all three counting family and fleet service all with remarkable service histories.

I sold my 2001 Ranger (4.0L) ,after 18years of hard service, to get my 2019 Ranger.
Opened the hood on the '01 every 3000miles to change the oil never had to add a quart. Here it is about a month or two before we sold it with just under 200,000 miles on it ....
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg ranger1.jpg   thumbnail.jpg ran2.jpg  

Old 07-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Interesting that the Maverick with the 4,000 lb tow package gets an integrated brake controller, but the Ranger, which can tow 7,500 lbs, does not.

If I still had our Scamp the Maverick would definitely be considered, but the Escape we have is just a bit abover the tow limit for the Maverick.

That 1500 lb payload is pretty hefty for such a small truck.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote