Forest Fire in the White Mountains of NH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Thumbs up Forest Fire in the White Mountains of NH

After a very dry summer and an even drier fall it is now good to be getting some rain.
On the 12th of November, while driving north on Rt 16, at a point known as Wakefield Hill, where one gets his first look at the White Mts. of New Hampshire, I told my wife there was a forest fire in the Whites somewhere,
I could see a huge cloud of smoke but thought it may have been south of the National Forest.
Upon getting home and getting a local paper the next day I found out it was in a campground where I use to work years ago.
The Covered Bridge Campground.
A few days after I drove down there and was blocked by a Ranger and got some good new, that the ground was so dry, the fire moved so fast it did very little damage to the campground but it was still burning out of control.
Now, after burning in very rough terrain for over 18 days it is finally out after burning 83 acres.
I walked into the campground yesterday and the south perimiter road looks as though it was where the fire started and it moved south and west from there.
They kept this fire on that side of the road and it only effected ths sites on that side of the road only.

GREAT JOB TO THE FORESTRY DEPARTMENT AND TO ALL THE FIRE FIGHTERS IN THE AREA AND A BIG THANK YOU! TO YOU ALL.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Glad to hear it's out. The last two years we've headed west we've had to adjust our trip to avoid fires. Big fires. A weather radio and the Forest Service Fire Mapping site were both useful.

Active Fire Mapping Program
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
After a very dry summer and an even drier fall it is now good to be getting some rain.
On the 12th of November, while driving north on Rt 16, at a point known as Wakefield Hill, where one gets his first look at the White Mts. of New Hampshire, I told my wife there was a forest fire in the Whites somewhere,
I could see a huge cloud of smoke but thought it may have been south of the National Forest.
Upon getting home and getting a local paper the next day I found out it was in a campground where I use to work years ago.
The Covered Bridge Campground.
A few days after I drove down there and was blocked by a Ranger and got some good new, that the ground was so dry, the fire moved so fast it did very little damage to the campground but it was still burning out of control.
Now, after burning in very rough terrain for over 18 days it is finally out after burning 83 acres.
I walked into the campground yesterday and the south perimiter road looks as though it was where the fire started and it moved south and west from there.
They kept this fire on that side of the road and it only effected ths sites on that side of the road only.

GREAT JOB TO THE FORESTRY DEPARTMENT AND TO ALL THE FIRE FIGHTERS IN THE AREA AND A BIG THANK YOU! TO YOU ALL.
So happy your fire was only 83 acres and is out. We live about 10 miles from the Junkins Fire in Colorado and it is about 19,000 acres burned at least 9 homes and 19 other buildings. It has been burning for over a month and is still burning. It is contained and under control but won't be put out until God sends us some rain or snow. We've been very dry for the last year also. We could actually see the flames from our house but now just a little smoke. We also need to pray for all the ones in or near Gatlinburg, TN on their loses due to fire.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

I see all the devistaton out west and this year down in the south.
We here in New England can only imagine how terible it is.
I've read books about the 1947 fires " The Year Maine Burned" about how large fires devistated large areas in Maine, including this whole town we live in.
Seeing the large Victorian houses, on Main st. just start to smoke the all at one burst into one big fire ball one after another....
Something nobody want to live though ever.
Our prayers go out to all who fight and have to live with the fires all over the country
Gerry & Barb
Old 12-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry... Apart from working in a campground did you also build wooden canoes?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #6

Hey, Good memory, I had my own business building Cedar Strip Canoes, under the neme of, Nor'Easter Canoes.
Did sell 2 to a retailer in northern NY and that was my last sale, God that must have been 17 years ago.
Did you buy one?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Hey, Good memory, I had my own business building Cedar Strip Canoes, under the neme of, Nor'Easter Canoes.
Did sell 2 to a retailer in northern NY and that was my last sale, God that must have been 17 years ago.
Did you buy one?
Hi: Gerry... I'm sorry I didn't!!! I have a photographic memory... but my SD card is full.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote