Forest River Aviator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
One of the funny things about forums. That is most often where people who are having problems go to find solutions to their problems. Now if you were to base your knowledge of fiberglass trailers on what you see in the forum you would be inclined to think that all fiberglass trailers are junk. So many issues, rotten floors, warped doors, cracks on the exterior of the gel coat, shower drain problems, structural issues with the frames.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #22

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Joe, just curious as to how tall you are. What interior height clearance do you need?
Hi Kevin! I’m 6’6”. The only FGRV I fit in is our current EggCamper at a true 6’7”, your Silver Cloud at 6’9” and the 5.0TA.

We love our current EggCamper so much for what we do now but I think my wife and I are always dreaming of our upcoming retirement some day and planning for the next camper to fit the bill for long term travels.

I fully understand people thinking Forest River Blaa blaa but read up on these Aviators. Aluminum frames, no wood anywhere, 5” walls, lots of high end finishes. True fiberglass roof. Tilt windows. Great insulation, enclosed floors, dual a/c, ducted heat, on and on. I guess I was kind of hoping this was a one off “different” well built unit! They built 73 of them then quit due to cost vs sales. Took a week to make each one. Cool camper in my book. If it were a structural A+ and built form long term 20-30 years of use, I’d be very tempted to jump!

Just good reading about fellow campers and overall knowledge:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ry-107013.html
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
If it were a structural A+ and built form long term 20-30 years of use, I’d be very tempted to jump!
I see two on the left coast in California and one in Florida on RVTrader, all at just under $30K.

Did you build have your friend build his garage big enough? He might have to redo it!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #24

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I see two on the left coast in California and one in Florida on RVTrader, all at just under $30K.

Did you build have your friend build his garage big enough? He might have to redo it!
LOL I think it is big enough! But I think the door may be too short ��. Yea there are a couple around. Even one in Murfreesboro TN which is 5 hours from us. The other issue we have besides storage is our current truck wouldn’t pull it so I better stick to dreaming!

My wife is ready for bigger! But we are trying to be sensible about it too! We camped a LOT in 2018 but we may be a little more subdued in 2019. All the more reason to maybe keep dreaming for a bit....
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #25

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
LOL I think it is big enough! But I think the door may be too short ��. Yea there are a couple around. Even one in Murfreesboro TN which is 5 hours from us. The other issue we have besides storage is our current truck wouldn’t pull it so I better stick to dreaming!

My wife is ready for bigger! But we are trying to be sensible about it too! We camped a LOT in 2018 but we may be a little more subdued in 2019. All the more reason to maybe keep dreaming for a bit....
Before pulling the trigger on any stick built trailer, hook up to one, the size you want, on a windy day, and find an X-Way with plenty of 18 wheeler traffic.

If I could not find a FG unit to my satisfaction, I would look seriously at Airstreams.

k
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
k corbin:
True. What they might not realize is that if you left a person standing outside in the rain and sun with little or no maintenance for 30-40 years, we'd be in far worse shape.

The ones that are kept in garages or are carefully tended are often in prime condition at almost any age.