Found T@b Bunk Mod!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Found T@b Bunk Mod!!

I cant believe it, after more than 6 months of searching through Albums and the internet I stumbled across a bunk mod for the T@B! The pix were in a post and not in an Album. The post was only a year old and a couple of other folks copied the design. You'd think somebody esp a Moderator would have remembered that before now and directed me to it. Here are some pix. You cant imagine how happy we are! Now we can use our T@b and all 4 us can sleep comfy and stay warm/cool. The best part is there is NO Drilling! The bunk is friction fit! Down the road we'll get a 16 ft Egg with a bathroom. By then my oldest will be in college and my youngest will be in Middle School and can sleep on the bunk. Now all I need is to improve on our A/C Mod which I'll post a question seperately for.

Thanks to e'body who have offered their advice, suggestions and ideas to make this trailer work for us.

So Happy!

Melissa
Attached Thumbnails
BunkInstalled.jpg   BunkSupports2.jpg  

BunkSupports.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thanks for posting the pix, Melissa. I bet some folks here will be using them to make the bunks work in their campers if they are not afraid of putting holes in the fiberglass.

If the mirror in our bathroom (suction) falls down too many times, I might try something similar.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Aliner
Melissa, that's awesome! I am so happy for you!!!

I bet your daughter will appreciate not having to sleep on the floor and get walked on now!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #4

Yes Cindy, I was hoping this design might help some folks here. No need to drill holes in the Fiberglass as this bunk is friction fit only. You can remove it at will with no trace of it ever being there. In fact, it looks to me like you could put the table up and use it in the T@b with the bunk in place. We'll sleep with our feet under the bunk as I'm claustrophobic. I remember somebody here built a loft over there main bed which I think was friction fit to the fiberglass and the front legs were drilled and attached to the kitchen cabinet and closet. My walls cant support any weight as they are only aluminum and foam so needed a solution that was self supporting.

Doing the Happy Dance!! And of course so is my daughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Thanks for posting the pix, Melissa. I bet some folks here will be using them to make the bunks work in their campers if they are not afraid of putting holes in the fiberglass.

If the mirror in our bathroom (suction) falls down too many times, I might try something similar.

CindyL
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
No need to drill holes in the Fiberglass as this bunk is friction fit only. You can remove it at will with no trace of it ever being there.
My eyes must be deceiving me, but it looks like some sort of supports have been screwed into the side walls to hold the bunk up? I don't have anything that looks like those supports in my Scamp. How would it stay up unless those supports were free standing like cot legs?

Explain please.

Okay, I looked at it a bit better. Those supports are held in place by the table? I don't have any room between the cabinetry and the wall... and the cushions may not hold it in place either.... hummm gotta think this through.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I was concerned about the slide forward/tip forward when applying brakes.

Also wondered how much weight it would add to rear, but aren't the tab wheels further back? Maybe not a sway problem.

Keep us posted. Neat idea to explore.

Just saw there is a black bracket that looks bolted to the seat.
Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Donna, the supports are not screwed into the walls, they are a tight fit in the gap between the bench seat and the wall. An Egg not having a gap to jam the support into might be an issue as you're right, the cushions alone wouldnt be enough. I saw a post on here where somebody had built a bunk over the main bed in their Egg. They attatched the front legs to the cabinetry (closet, kitchen) and the rear legs it seems like he may have velcroed them to the Fiberglass? That part I'm not sure about he didnt screw the support into the Glass I remember that. Maybe it was enough that the front legs were attached so the rear ones just sat up against the corners. For the life of me I cant find that mod.

Yes Nancy, the T@b wheels are further back and another option to lighten the bunk would be to use webbing like on lawn chairs to support a foam mattress instead of the plywood platform. The Black bracket you see is the hinge system to raise and lower the seatback. When all the seats are in the up position you have a "U" shaped sitting/dining area, you lay the seatback down to get the 73 X70 bed. So one of the support legs is between the seat bracket and the wall. Everything is pressure fit and very stable from what the orginal modder (is that a word?????) said. If you were worried about tipping you could leave the bunk pieces on the main bed till you arrived at your campsite and then assemble.

In these pix the table is not installed, It goes where you see all the open floor space. Then the side cushions slide down to cover it just like the Eggs.

The platform base is attatched to the legs with Industrial Velcro so it can be removed/installed in seperate pieces. You probably could use some sort of latch system as well instead of Velcro.