Frame is shot. We were going to leave tomorrow... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Frame is shot. We were going to leave tomorrow...

I just spent the better part of five nights installing a 3-way fridge instead of an ice box, pulled the Scamp out of the garage, hooked it up in preparation for a 12 hour drive to Guadalupe National Park and went to check on my shower drain (with newly installed pump!) and noticed my frame is toast. It had been previously repaired with a plate and it's rusted all the way around the plate and in that inner bend as well. It is unusable. Worried about not being able to repair our beloved Scamp. Will look at what is involved in a frame-off repair.
Attached Thumbnails
1B014423-36FD-4DFA-B046-F7D9166ADF4B.jpg   86E05015-7CE1-4872-A345-73EA373A5969.jpg  

A4836EB8-459F-4F51-A5FD-71B30A27AEA5.jpg  

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I believe that you will find that the patch has been cracked due to flexing and the extra stiffness of the heavy steel reinforcement.
Note no tapering of the patch to spread out the stresses.
I believe that you will find that the rust is confined to the edges that have cracked and not particularly within the tube.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wow, major bummer Bryan...the only plus side is you're still at home and not on the road.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Note no tapering of the patch to spread out the stresses.
Like mentioned, the patch should have been tapered, not squared off like what's on the frame.

"Fish" plate would likely have been better, like this one.

Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
That's gotta be disappointing - sure hope you're able to get it repaired or replaced soon and without too much cost and lost time.

If you don't mind sharing, where were you planning to camp in GUMO? Most folks seem to head to the Pine Springs CG but we really like the more remote Dog Canyon. A few years back, we were fortunate enough to be camped there when turkey buzzards were migrating through. Late in the afternoons, they'd begin gliding in to roost in the Alligator Junipers just outside our site. It was really comical with the pushing and shoving that went on to get a desired spot. Watching them catch thermals that uplifted from the canyon walls each morning was also neat. Good luck with getting back on the road.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Actually, your frame problem is quite common in small trailers. Their frames are not strong enough for boondocking. The internals rust from the inside out, like automobiles do. The frame flexing also often pops rivets and cracks shell moldings too.
Your first step is to decide if you are satisfied rolling down a paved highway from one over-priced RV slum to another or whether you want to boondock. Plan A requires a new factory frame. If boondocking is your goal, then your existing trailer can be seam welded unto a boondock frame that is strong enough to take the anticipated loads. This frame will also be corrosion-proofed internally to preclude rust. Specialty firms can build a boondock frame for you. If you want a referral, message me privately.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

Florida
There is no part played by rust in this failure. The rust is on the unpainted fractures where the metal cracked in the Heat Affected Zone due to flexing.
The frame has broken in the weak area where the tubing was forced into a failure in manufacture, stressing the metal and dimpling the inner wall.
This can be repaired properly and reinforced, but use someone else to do it.
If it were mine and I did not want to create a big, big project I would remove the floor over the area and fabricate a new section of frame to fit out of 1/8" wall tubing .
I would connect two sections, joined with fish plates over the weld where the new pieces "bend".
"Sockets" that fit over the old remaining frame sections would also be "fish plates" tapered on both ends.
I believe that you will find cracking on the front reinforcement of the flat tubes that go under the door on the street side as well ad this is where the bending that causes the cracks on the driver's side starts..
I think that you will find that removing the floor in the affected areas is easier than taking the shell off and replacing the frame, but I could be wrong as easily as right.
This is a failure mode of almost all of the frames made by failing the tune to make the bend that forms the "A" for the hitch.
By that I mean ALL of them.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
I have a ‘95 Scamp and have never checked the frame. I got a new axle five years back but haven’t even considered the frame. Should i take it somewhere to get checked? Yes, I do boondock almost all the time.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
I have a ‘95 Scamp and have never checked the frame. I got a new axle five years back but haven’t even considered the frame. Should i take it somewhere to get checked? Yes, I do boondock almost all the time.
Check both sides at the bend and most especially on both ends of the flat tubing that carries the load under the door. Many times the reinforcement that attaches these tubes back into the frame are cracked and also contribute to the other problems
Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If you want to go camping before you get this repaired, rent a car towing or other flatbed trailer and load your camper onto the rented trailer. You might get funny looks at the campground, but who cares?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"Your first step is to decide if you are satisfied rolling down a paved highway from one over-priced RV slum to another or whether you want to boondock."

Yes, I stayed at this over-priced slum last week, and even worse, it was on a paved road. Spent $20 a night. Stayed a full week, just to see if it would get any better.

IMG_6694 by wrk101, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_c3e by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
All campgrounds are definitely not created equal. In the west, we're pretty darn lucky.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #13

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I was so frustrated I had to ignore the pile of fiberglass in my garage for a bit! I am still mulling over my options here. I called Scamp and can get a new frame with new axle for around $2500. Considering I need a new axle (mine is almost thirty years old) this might not be a bad idea. I may also jack it up off the frame and see how much a local place would charge to build a new frame with a better solution to that weak corner. I could also buy the Scamp frame and have someone local beef up the frame before install, although the original lasted over 25 years without too much issue so could just call it good. I plan on going out to the garage and looking at things to see how much work it would be to Jack the body off the frame.

Question - does the plywood center floor come up with the shell? I know I have to remove the end benches, but what about the center stuff? I am guessing it all stays to add structure to the shell? Can I leave the hot water heater installed?

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #14

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Axle Issues

One of the totally preventable costs and inconveniences of most trailers is bearing service. Sealed bearings that need no service for 100,000 miles will eliminate this fiasco and pay for themselves about two times over.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
One of the totally preventable costs and inconveniences of most trailers is bearing service. Sealed bearings that need no service for 100,000 miles will eliminate this fiasco and pay for themselves about two times over.
Better than that are oil bath lubricated bearings.
They will outlast greased bearings 10 to one.
The oil lever can easily be checked and changed and the condition of the oil also inspected.
Sealed bearings have actually very little grease within them as little is really necessary.
I doubt that bearing problems are that prevalent with small campers since most people do not immerse them when launching like a boat trailer.
It is the oil bound to the clay and soap in the grease that does the lubricating anyway.
We had a 600 hp pump that has a bearing failure and it was caused by the manufacturer not properly greasing the new assembly.
The bearing on the other end of the shaft was OK, but when we tore the pump bearing housing down we found a very small dab of grease in the bearing housing, barely touching the bearing.
This VERY SMALL dab of grease was enough to lube that bearing.
Evidently the other end did not have that much.
The manufacturer warrantied the pump due to the pictures we mad of that small dab of grease on the non-failed bearing.
Cost of repair $32,257. The cost of the (Missing) grease was pretty high.
We converter these pumps to oil lubricated bearings. Cost of the change per pumps $375.
We can change the oil and inspect it where we just worried about the grease as we pumped in the manufacture's directed grease.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #16

Florida
Question - does the plywood center floor come up with the shell? I know I have to remove the end benches, but what about the center stuff? I am guessing it all stays to add structure to the shell? Can I leave the hot water heater installed?

Answer:
The center (lower) floor is installed on an angle iron ledge that sets that floor to the lower level of the 6" deep frame and extends from the "dance floor to the front.
The question is how the front treatment is done.
Basically almost all of the utility machinery is mounted on the side floor that is screwed to the top of the frame, but then these "floors" are not particularly sturdy and I don't know if they will support the water heater, heater etc.
That being said I would try to separate the shell from the frame.
I would call Scamp and ask them as they might well have done that before and can offer some suggestions.
They are pretty good people and will probably help you out.

Personally if I bought a frame I would reinforce the bends.
However I would build one myself instead, just because.
You could check some of my pictures for the frame extension I made to give more room for stuff on the front
Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #17

Confused. How did bearings cause my issue?

Quote:
Better than that are oil bath lubricated bearings.
They will outlast greased bearings 10 to one.
The oil lever can easily be checked and changed and the condition of the oil also inspected.
Sealed bearings have actually very little grease within them as little is really necessary.
I doubt that bearing problems are that prevalent with small campers since most people do not immerse them when launching like a boat trailer.
It is the oil bound to the clay and soap in the grease that does the lubricating anyway.
We had a 600 hp pump that has a bearing failure and it was caused by the manufacturer not properly greasing the new assembly.
The bearing on the other end of the shaft was OK, but when we tore the pump bearing housing down we found a very small dab of grease in the bearing housing, barely touching the bearing.
This VERY SMALL dab of grease was enough to lube that bearing.
Evidently the other end did not have that much.
The manufacturer warrantied the pump due to the pictures we mad of that small dab of grease on the non-failed bearing.
Cost of repair $32,257. The cost of the (Missing) grease was pretty high.
We converter these pumps to oil lubricated bearings. Cost of the change per pumps $375.
We can change the oil and inspect it where we just worried about the grease as we pumped in the manufacture's directed grease.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #18

Florida

Answer:

They did not, but I was responding to the post above mine, perhaps adding too much information.
The bearing had nothing to do with your problems. but the poor job of repairing the frame did the damage.
By the way, you could remove just the floor over the frame to gain access to repair/replace the front part of the frame. I did that, but I had to replace the whole floor of my trailer anyway so it added no extra work to the repairs needed.
I would consider doing that IF you had a fab and welder buddy to help out.
Sorry about adding to the thread creep.
Good luck with your repairs.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #19

Got it! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to survey things today. Great day to be working in the garage with the door open!

Quote:

Answer:

They did not, but I was responding to the post above mine, perhaps adding too much information.
The bearing had nothing to do with your problems. but the poor job of repairing the frame did the damage.
By the way, you could remove just the floor over the frame to gain access to repair/replace the front part of the frame. I did that, but I had to replace the whole floor of my trailer anyway so it added no extra work to the repairs needed.
I would consider doing that IF you had a fab and welder buddy to help out.
Sorry about adding to the thread creep.
Good luck with your repairs.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 03-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #20

Ha, it gets worse. Here is the right side after I crawled under there today. I had welded that piece on to the bottom because the front of the camper was slamming down on the frame rail and I didn't want it to taco going down the road. Looks like it was still banging on the frame...
Attached Thumbnails
15528762346471115407595052644925.jpg   15528762626415310411596822501663.jpg