Frank & Gail's ParkLiner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Frank & Gail's ParkLiner

Figured I better start a thread, as we're already in the middle of a few projects, not to mention making sure this baby is winterized!

Here's a few pics from the back, as they are the best ones I have right now. Project pics will follow soon...

Frank

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #2

New York
First project!

On the way home, one rivet holding the shelf the microwave is on came loose, dumping the microwave, damaging the microwave, the stainless cook top, and bending 3 of the angle brackets used to hold the shelf...

After removing the 3 bent angle brackets and making them right angle again, I re-attached things such that this shelf should never come loose again. Where the rivet had pulled out, I put a stainless machine screw, finish washer, a bunch of flat washers (too long a srew, it was all I had!), and finally a nylok, all stainless steel stuff.

Once that was done, I removed the screen door and sanded the bottom so it wouldn't rub on the linoleum as it swung open. Soon I found it was lumps under the linoleum and not the door that was the problem. I really didn't want to sand the door much more, as there was a reasonable gap under it when closed. We will live with the minor friction.

Next is figuring out this winterization stuff, as I am somewhat pressed by the weather forecasts!

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
So sorry to see the results of your shelf rivet mishap. Sort of like having that first dent or scratch on a brand new car.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
So sorry to see the results of your shelf rivet mishap. Sort of like having that first dent or scratch on a brand new car.
Thanks Ken, but it was an easy fix, and at least the microwave is no big deal. I can buy the same model new at Walmart for 50 bucks. I need to look around for a stove cover, but that shouldn't be too bad either. When I'm done, it will be better than new. Kind of like fixing that dent, then doing something better for the car...

My friendly advice to ParkLiner would be to use stainless steel machine screws on that side of the shelf rather than rivets. If it had been bolted with a decent washer and nylok, no way it would have come loose. Heck, all we did was bring it home (about 190 miles) on 4 lane highways.

More to come.

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sorry about the microwave, but

Welcome Aboard!

Ive been thinking about trimming the bottom of my screen door so it would pass over the throw rug I use to try to limit the dirt coming in on my shoes. I need to go to Homedepot and look at weather stripping or something for doors... something that the door would close against to keep the bugs out because you dont want to shave too much off the bottom.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Welcome Frank and Gail. WIshing you many miles and years of travel.

Deryk,

We have a home made screen door and it's about a 1/2 inch off the floor to allow it to pass over a throw rug.

What we did to keep the 'bottom bugs' out was to have a piece of screen on the back of the door that hangs to the floor that sweeps across the throw rug and closes off the bottom of the screen door.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Sorry about the microwave, but

Welcome Aboard!

Ive been thinking about trimming the bottom of my screen door so it would pass over the throw rug I use to try to limit the dirt coming in on my shoes. I need to go to Homedepot and look at weather stripping or something for doors... something that the door would close against to keep the bugs out because you dont want to shave too much off the bottom.
Thanks Deryk, it's good to be here!

Yes, I have about 1/16" now when the screen door is closed. I don't want it to be an 1/8"! Of course, with some kind of very flexible "sweeper" on the bottom... Hmmmmm...

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #8

Florida
What I did to create my screen material sweeper was when installing the screen I just let it hang down below the rubber locking strip and then cut it to length to sweep the floor.

We find a throw rug at the door to be important to collect 'coming in dirt'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah the carpet is a big plus, especially where I camp alot in south jersey, they have this sandy dirt that sticks really well to the treads in your shoes. Next year I plan on adding one of those poly propelene 9x12 mats for under my awning to help lessen the dirt coming in but yeah a door sweeper would let you cut the screen door higher. Good Idea guys!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #10

Florida
We also have a small door mat in front of the door. We flip it onto the throw rug with the step stool when we travel, effectively 2 'catchers' in a row.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

Name: Betty Lou
Trailer: Ready to purchase.
Delaware
Frank and Gail's new Parkliner

Hi Frank and Gail. Want to say congratulations to you both on your new Parkliner. I chuckled when I read your post prior to your purchase about 'drooling' over PL that you both saw while camping. The time when apparently Chandler delivered new PL to the campground. My sister and I are new to the fiber glass community and to be very honest...new to this whole 'forum, social networking, owners websites etc' way of communicating. Really learning a great deal from everyone!!! We recently said goodbye to our beloved 25' Sunline that we had to sell b/c of my medical 'stuff'... sadly took way too much out of me hitching up, towing 4400 lbs, set up, dump station etc etc. So glad the ole'gal went to a very happy new owner in up state NY. I share this only to say that we are not ready to say 'goodbye' to camping adventures but ready to embrace it even more than ever. Realizing that life is way too short and much living to do!!!! SOOOOOO, we started what we thought was going to be an relatively fun and easy endeavor. Unfortunately it has been anything but.
In our need to go lighter, smaller we looked at R-Pods, MPG and A-liners. Sadly with further inspection in the RV parking lot each model had something wrong. NO exaggeration and certainly not us being picky either. Water leaks with water laying under cushion that resulted in sales man saying anything but a leak....IE...a former customer must had spilled their water bottle while checking out the unit. Also hardware hanging. Will spare the rest of the details. Thankfully only good has come out of our disappointments because we just happened to stumble onto the forum... or perhaps divine intervention as I knew nothing else to do but pray that my sister and I make good decisions as consumers with a limited cash flow..(my medical bills really have and continue to break the bank).
So not to be even more verbose a few weeks ago we made the 7 hr trek down to Parkliner. Love the design and space. Really seems to work best for our needs. As others have said... (really like how Katie-k8te said it so eloquently... She went into buying a PL with eyes wide open). We too are trying to keep our eyes wide open as we put our deposit down with options list while there mid Sept.
Frank and Gail... so excited for you and your new rig. So sorry though about the mishap already with microwave shelf. Can not thank you enough for posting pics with your narrative...PLUS solutions. Way to go! Really impressive. Wondering though if Chandler or even Cameron at PL make the time to check forum from time to time.
I am so jazzed to hear others share about their 'egg' of 20 plus yrs still enabling owners to embrace everything camping has to offer.

Thanks again to each of you for taking the time to share. Us newbies send each of you huge hugs of appreciations. Respectfully, Betty Lou and Bev aks 2 sisters in Del..
BL Chiffons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Oh Frank..an idea!

When I bought my ParkLiner, Harry said it had 1 problem...that the microwave door popped open and the glass tray popped out and broke. So I just figured he didnt close it fully or something. Several trips and I went into it and saw the microwave door open and the new glass tray I got for it on the floor, fortunatly unbroken. Well happened a 2nd time so I screwed a (not sure what its called...picture a half circle of stainless steel with a flange at each end with a hole for a screw about an inch long) onto the wood door framing even with the knob for the cupboard above the stove and used a real heavy duty bungie cord to it, holds it firmly shut now.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL Chiffons View Post
Hi Frank and Gail. Want to say congratulations to you both on your new Parkliner. I chuckled when I read your post prior to your purchase about 'drooling' over PL that you both saw while camping. The time when apparently Chandler delivered new PL to the campground. My sister and I are new to the fiber glass community and to be very honest...new to this whole 'forum, social networking, owners websites etc' way of communicating. Really learning a great deal from everyone!!! We recently said goodbye to our beloved 25' Sunline that we had to sell b/c of my medical 'stuff'... sadly took way too much out of me hitching up, towing 4400 lbs, set up, dump station etc etc. So glad the ole'gal went to a very happy new owner in up state NY. I share this only to say that we are not ready to say 'goodbye' to camping adventures but ready to embrace it even more than ever. Realizing that life is way too short and much living to do!!!! SOOOOOO, we started what we thought was going to be an relatively fun and easy endeavor. Unfortunately it has been anything but.
In our need to go lighter, smaller we looked at R-Pods, MPG and A-liners. Sadly with further inspection in the RV parking lot each model had something wrong. NO exaggeration and certainly not us being picky either. Water leaks with water laying under cushion that resulted in sales man saying anything but a leak....IE...a former customer must had spilled their water bottle while checking out the unit. Also hardware hanging. Will spare the rest of the details. Thankfully only good has come out of our disappointments because we just happened to stumble onto the forum... or perhaps divine intervention as I knew nothing else to do but pray that my sister and I make good decisions as consumers with a limited cash flow..(my medical bills really have and continue to break the bank).
So not to be even more verbose a few weeks ago we made the 7 hr trek down to Parkliner. Love the design and space. Really seems to work best for our needs. As others have said... (really like how Katie-k8te said it so eloquently... She went into buying a PL with eyes wide open). We too are trying to keep our eyes wide open as we put our deposit down with options list while there mid Sept.
Frank and Gail... so excited for you and your new rig. So sorry though about the mishap already with microwave shelf. Can not thank you enough for posting pics with your narrative...PLUS solutions. Way to go! Really impressive. Wondering though if Chandler or even Cameron at PL make the time to check forum from time to time.
I am so jazzed to hear others share about their 'egg' of 20 plus yrs still enabling owners to embrace everything camping has to offer.

Thanks again to each of you for taking the time to share. Us newbies send each of you huge hugs of appreciations. Respectfully, Betty Lou and Bev aks 2 sisters in Del..
Thanks girls! I sent a friendly email to Cameron about the incident Sunday morning, but am not too worried if we don't hear back. A 2012 should be still under warranty I would think, but the cost of repair is so minor as to not be a concern really. I have not had time to find a cook top, but I imagine it shouldn't be too hard or expensive to replace.

I don't think the folks at ParkLiner ever look at posts on this site.

Our plan was to buy new, and when we did to take time to camp in NC right after purchase so we'd be close enough to head back to the plant for any warranty stuff. Actually buying this very lightly used and very well cared for one year old trailer in NJ saved us a bunch of travel money. We'll use the savings to stay at Fort Wilderness at Disney World in about a year!

Best of luck to you both!

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Congrats to you both, nice looking trailer. And that little mishap is not a big deal, easy fix.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Congrats to you both, nice looking trailer. And that little mishap is not a big deal, easy fix.
Thanks Tim! Hey, what # do you & Rita have?

Thanks again, as you two were a lot of the reason we were sold on these babies!

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #16

New York
I tried calling two RV places both about 10 miles away today to see if they had one of these compressor fitting for the fresh water fill. first one I was on hold more than 2 minutes, so hung up to call the other one to get a message they're helping other people. Hung up, went to Amazon, have one coming for $6.22, and a hot water tank rinser for less than 8 bucks. We pay to be Prime members because we live in the boonies and get so much stuff from them. UPS knows where we live, and all the guys are even friends with our dog!

Now if I could just figure out how to do (or buy) a bypass on the hot water heater. And as far as I can see, there is no drain for the fresh water tank. Pics later.

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #17

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Frank, maybe I am not seeing the extent of the damage to the stainless steel cook top. If it is just the damage as shown in the photo, isn't it possible that a body shop or one of the those paintless "dent doctors" could push that out for you if you took it to their shop?
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #18

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstock View Post
Frank, maybe I am not seeing the extent of the damage to the stainless steel cook top. If it is just the damage as shown in the photo, isn't it possible that a body shop or one of the those paintless "dent doctors" could push that out for you if you took it to their shop?
I know enough about metal work to know the metal has been stressed there and will not easily get back in shape. Maybe I'll give it a try, but the pic does not show from the side, and trust me, it is damaged badly. A dent dr. would probably cost more than the replacement top!

No response from ParkLiner since I emailed them yesterday morning.

Frank
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #19

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Since I know almost nothing about metal work, you are likely correct. I'm always amazed by what the dent docs can do though--probably too easily impressed. I was thinking that the replacement top was really expensive, too.

I really like your trailer, by the way. I am heading back to North Carolina for the winter months, and Park Liner is less than one hour away from my NC house. I'm looking forward to a visit there soon.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #20

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstock View Post
Since I know almost nothing about metal work, you are likely correct. I'm always amazed by what the dent docs can do though--probably too easily impressed. I was thinking that the replacement top was really expensive, too.

I really like your trailer, by the way. I am heading back to North Carolina for the winter months, and Park Liner is less than one hour away from my NC house. I'm looking forward to a visit there soon.
I still have not priced the cover. The microwave can't be used again, and they're 50 bucks. I'll check on the cover and post it when I can find one. I thought it would be simple, but apparently not. It would be great if ParkLiner would reply to my email too.

Frank

Tags
parkliner