Fraud Alert - via Email - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Thumbs down

Just a heads up for anyone who get's a similar email. This one is like the ebay email that looks legit but isn't.

Please note that this is a system generated email. Please do not reply to this email. If you have questions, please click the following link or paste it in your browser. http://pages.chase.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

Notification of Chase Bank Security Department

We may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely
suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our
services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial
loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also
take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate
any information you provide to us.

We inform you that your Chase account could be suspended
if you don't re-update your account information. To resolve this
problems please use the link below and re-enter your account information.
If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended
for a period of 72 hours, after this period your account will
be terminated.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.
Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
Chase Inc. Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification.
To update your record please click here:

end of email.

http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com/phi...6762&mode=alert

What to do?
If you receive an e-mail similar to this, do not respond and do not click on the link. By opening or viewing a preview of the email, or by clicking on the link within the email, your computer may have discretely downloaded a virus or spyware. View our Protection Page for detailed information on what you should do. If you do receive similar emails, or any email that you think may be fraudulent, please forward to FraudWatch International at: scams@fraudwatchinternational.com

Tips to Protect Yourself from phishing scams:
1. Never click on Hyperlinks within emails, instead, copy and paste them into your browser
2. Use SPAM Filter Software
3. Use Anti-Virus Software
4. Use a Personal Firewall
5. Keep Software Updated (operating systems and web browsers)
6. Always look for "https://" and padlock on web sites that require personal information
7. Keep your computer clean from Spyware
8. Educate Yourself of fraudulent activity on the Internet
9. Check & monitor your credit report
10. Seek Advice - if you are unsure, ask us: scams@fraudwatchinternational.com
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Good advice.

I am an avid, active ebayer and as a result have frequently been a target of scammers asking me to click on a link to "verify" my account, etc.

Whenever I get these requests out of the blue I have found the best first move to make is to

<div align="center">Immediately delete the message, then
FORGEDDABOUDITTT!</div>

I never worry about hurting anyone's feelings, or just trying to be helpful, in regards to these unsolicited queries. If it's really a legit inquiry (highly unlikely) they'll get back to you another way. It only takes one wee little click to put yourself in the soup big time.

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thanks for the heads up.. I deal with chase bank .... I also never open anything that i dont know who its from.. always a good rule of thumb! My mail guard filter is really good for spam mails etc....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
These types of thing are called "phishers" pronounced "fishers". They are an attempt to gain your account numbers. NO finacial institute will ever send an email asking conformation of your account numbers, SS, or any other private material. The simple answer to those is not follow any links on email. I usually forward "phishers" to the company spoofed. That way they know and can sometimes get the web site the link goes to shut down. I'm gotten several of these and traced the web site. Most are shut down before I get the email. I believe that there was one in China and one in Nigeria that was still running when I tried to trace the web site.

As for not opening email unless you know it's from is going a bit overboard. It don't hurt, unless you get something you want and don't realize it untill after you've hit the delete button. Home computers are not usually the major target of viruses therefore as long as you keep your antivirus program up to date you're pretty safe.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I have a Chase account. I have gotten that email and deleted it from the ISP server without downloading it to my PC. I use MailWasher software which let's me pre-view email before downloading it to my PC. It shows me what the actual link is vs what it is displaying on the screeen. I routinely delete these type of emails. On the rare occasion that Chase, AMEX, Discover, MBNA, FirstUSA, or CITI have had issues either with my purchases or online activity; they have either called my phone or sent me USPS mail. What I do then, if I can't log into the URL I have saved for the account, is call the customer service number on the back of my card and go from there. I do not use any URL that is provided in correspondence. A couple times the phone call and/or the USPS mail were not legit either.

There are crooks out there trying to find new ways to separate us from our hard earned money and credit. When in doubt, make the call yourself and Customer Service will be glad to help. They won't mind you checking with them and both of you will be comforted to know exactly the status of your account.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
I receive a similar email supposely from eBay about my account. As I had a doubt about it I forward it to eBay customer support, and they confirm me it was a phisher. As many other say, it is important NOT to open such email.
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
I receive a similar email supposely from eBay about my account. As I had a doubt about it I forward it to eBay customer support, and they confirm me it was a phisher. As many other say, it is important NOT to open such email.
I've been getting all kind of messages like that, for over two years now. Just discard them. They're only fisherman, looking for the big fish....

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:

Opening is not the issue. It's clicking on the link provided.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i get at least 2-3 of those a week from banks i dont even have anything to do with unless i know the person or i gave my address to some one everything goes in the dump..
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
Couple of days ago, at my bank, they had put out flier on about 20 ways that others will attempt to get into your accounts on the net and by phone. There are a few million working these schemes every day, and they are very successful unless they are caught, and by then, most can afford bail or buy their way out and are back in business.
Even if you send it to the trash, then empty it quickly and check your cookies once in a while to see if something has been dropped that they can use to find you.
I hate it when moving cursor on a page automatically brings up anything like an ad or whatever, but it does happen and can throw a cookie.
My grandson is a "good nerd" and says someone, somewhere is thinking up a new PC program every day and the most money today is crime!
Renee K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
This may be old hat to some but apparently there is a warning via e-mail about a phone call going around that is "supposedly" from a phone server testing the phones and asking people to dial "9 & 0".... this is supposed to be able to open up your phone line for free long distance for them according to an e-mail that I got as a warning and was asked by the e-mail sender to forward this warning info to others....I`m asking should I be forwarding this warning to others in my address book or just delete it?.....Is it possible that I may be sending a virus unknowingly if I forward the warning???? Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
This may be old hat to some but apparently there is a warning via e-mail about a phone call going around that is "supposedly" from a phone server testing the phones and asking people to dial "9 & 0".... this is supposed to be able to open up your phone line for free long distance for them according to an e-mail that I got as a warning and was asked by the e-mail sender to forward this warning info to others....I`m asking should I be forwarding this warning to others in my address book or just delete it?.....Is it possible that I may be sending a virus unknowingly if I forward the warning???? Benny

At one time this was possible when behind a PBX that required you to dial 9 to get an outside line. Most homes don't have a PBX so not to worry. This email just recently started showing up on the internet after a 4 or 5 year rest.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Benny,

I just checked snopes.com to see whether dialing 9 0 on behalf of a "phone service technician" makes your phone lines vulnerable to being charged for someone else's long distance calls, or if this is just an urban myth. Apparently it can be a problem for businesses or agencies that have a phone tree, whereby you need to dial 9 to get an outside line. It does not work on someone's home phone. Here's the detailed explanation on www.snopes.com

I have no idea whether forwarding this email might be forwarding a computer virus to someone, but I think the info might be alarming to people that could never be affected by it from their home phone.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... but I think the info might be alarming to people that could never be affected by it from their home phone.
I think this is a good point. While the message which started off this topic serves as a useful reminder of one type of junk to avoid, virtually every e-mailed warning is either fraudulent itself, or is well-intentioned but pointless, and would not be beneficial to further recipients. I get quite a few from a well-meaning friend, and just delete them; although Snopes and similar sites do a good job of debunking the myths, I generally just don't bother anymore.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #15

Registry
As a practice, I never forward any those type of things. Several reasons;

1. They're almost always false.
2. They're aimed at alarming people needlessly.
3. I don't like lies, and won't spread them.
4. There's too many people that do get alarmed and upset by them.
5. Sometimes there can be damaging instructions contained in them.
6. If there was something to be concerned about I would find out about it by some other means, news media, anti-virus companies, etc.

The issue that started this thread I heard about more years ago than I care to mention. It started when touch tone dialing first came out. I was working in the telephone industry at the time. Since then there have been many changes that make it unlikely that 9-0 trick would work anyplace, even on a very old Private Branch Exchange (PBX).

All in all the best place for any of type of thing is in the bit bucket, oops, showing my age again. In the "Recycle Bin". (Wonder what's being recycled, 1s or 0s? )
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
They have to be recycling the 1's because the 0's are always available. A zero is; nil, null, zip, zilch, nought, and nothing. Always have an adequate supply of nothing, but them 1's are in limited supply.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
They have to be recycling the 1's because the 0's are always available. A zero is; nil, null, zip, zilch, nought, and nothing. Always have an adequate supply of nothing, but them 1's are in limited supply.
Curt

Must be. I know when you buy software you're paying for the 1's. Sometimes there's 1's you don't want, but they're there anyway. Those make your computer crash...