Fridgidaire portable ice maker. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 04:18 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Fridgidaire portable ice maker.

my wife brought home a Fridgidaire portable ice maker, I think she paid $90 for it at Costco, told me to try it out and we could return it.

since the ice maker in our old freezer/fridge has been sketchy for years, I figured what the heck.

I plugged it into this mFi 'smart outlet' that lets me monitor power usage, and graph on my computer.

This ice maker runs on 120VAC, and draws around 100 watts with 120 watt spikes every 10 minutes or so as it completes an ice cycle. You put up to 2.3 quarts of water in the bottom, the ice tray sits above that, close the lid turn it on, and it makes 9 little 'ice fingers' every 10 minutes or so, in about an hour, the ice tray is full, and it stops. it does NOT keep that ice cold, so eventually it will melt back into the water tank, and when the ice level drops enough, it will start running more ice making cycles, 9 ice 'finger' cubes at a time.

each ice cycle, it pumps some water from the reservoir up to a 'tray' on top, and drops these 9 freezing pencil sized 'fingers' into the water, then chills, ice forms on those fingers, when enough builds up, it dumps the extra water back into the reservoir, and a pusher paddle thing collects the new ice and pushes it into the ice tray, then starts a new cycle.

This is way more power than my 75 quart compressor cooler uses.

I think we WILL bring it camping if we're going to have hookups, and use it to fill an ice bucket stored in the freezer (that 75 qt cooler is dual zone, and you can set one half to be 0F while the other is 38F). But I doubt I'll try and run it off an inverter and batteries, although, I dunno, a few hours in the afternoon could fill a decent sized ice bucket in the freezer, and really, 100 watts for 2-3 hours is no big deal with my solar plus lead acid golf cart batts.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:08 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
ok, running in a 70F room, this ice maker draws a total of 130 watt hours/hour when its actively making ice, so that would be about 10-12AH off a battery with an inverter.

by comparison, this compressor cooler draws about 10 watt hours, less than 1 AH at 12V over an hour, maintaining both compartments at 38F(3C) in the same ~70F (20C) room.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2020 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Hey, I plug my little portable ice maker in and I get ice. That is what I bought it for.
As far as the electricity usage, I camp with power available. I am not a boondocker.
Handy little gadget for me.