Frig - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Frig

I know people are talking about a refrigerator when they use this word but it kinda sounds like a way to soften a “naughty” word. I use fridge.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Frig, I think I'll light a refer.

I think folks like to use these two words for fridge or refrigerator because of their primary double meaning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Do people actually say "Frig"? I've definitely heard fridge. Frig would annoy me, too. I see people spell it all sorts of ways, just like people misspell all sorts of other words, but I always assume in their heads they're hearing "fridge". For obvious reasons, I don't use "refer", either.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Texting has practically obliterated spelling conventions in all but academic circles.

For me, if a text is worth sending, it's worth writing in complete sentences with conventional spelling.

But I lost that fight before I even got in the ring.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
For me, if a text is worth sending, it's worth writing in complete sentences with conventional spelling.
I agree completely. How hard is it to capitalize a letter that should be, or spell out the whole word "and" or "you"? Maybe it is wrong of me, but I can't help but read something into poor grammar and spelling in texts, or typed messages. And I don't mean from an education standpoint, I am just referring to the laziness factor.

I blame my mother for this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #6

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Using text slang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Texting has practically obliterated spelling conventions in all but academic circles.

But I lost that fight before I even got in the ring.
Yay Jon, I agree 100%.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Improper spelling, improper word usage and grammar, improper sentence structure and punctuation, and the rampant and ubiquitous appearance of all the totally fragmented sentences we see today are just a sign of the times. While the rest of the world strives to "do it better" and be "more competitive" than the next person, we continue to "dumb down" our educational system so "Little Johnny or Little Suzy" won't feel like they aren't as good as the other kids. More worrying about useless stuff like "inclusion and acceptance" than on quality education. It's all about self esteem and too little on actually teaching them important survival skills, (like math and science,) that will allow them to earn a better life as they get older. If you have a good education, you will be included and accepted. How many kids today can even write in cursive? Most schools are actually dropping it. Really sad to see.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #8

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Only time will tell if what's being lost vs gained is a net positive or negative. Certainly the older generations have always and will always resist change. The majority of the young people I've worked with have been very capable, intelligent people ready to take on the challenges of modern day, even with their "u" and "k" etc.

I really doubt we're losing much with cursive not being taught.

I'm as resistant to change as anyone, but I also get that I have no way of saying where the world will go, and whether the softer skills being taught will create a more or less capable generation. The direction of society is pretty hard thing to predict.

Certainly some things that have been taught in the last couple decades have been to the detriment of the current young-ish generation. But as with all older generations, much of what we're worrying about is a non-issue in the scheme of things.

I personally like how much more informal many things have become.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
But as with all older generations, much of what we're worrying about is a non-issue in the scheme of things.

This is true. With artificial intelligence, who needs cursive anyway?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
My 2 Cents

Capitalization when texting, I give in to; send a long text using a flip phone and you'll see what I mean (although I did try to use proper grammar when I had a flip phone).

I've seen one issue due to cursive not being taught. My nephew was never taught cursive. He's into genealogy now and he can't read old census records that were written in cursive (often written with quite a bit of flourish and often not translated into print or were translated poorly). He's a bright person but if you haven't learned it, you can't likely do it. He's in the process of self-teaching cursive so he doesn't have to keep asking for help.

And don't get me started on whatever it is they are using to teach math now.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #11

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Hey I have a niece that is in 3rd grade.... they no longer teach cursive handwriting
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Guess I should’ve read this a bit closer... didn’t realize the cursive issue had been covered... I shouldn’t “speed read “
Remember when that was being pushed
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote