From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape

Wife and I just returned from are first long trip in the Casita. Kentucky to Saltlakecity through all the northern parks. Just shy of three weeks. Things I loved: ease of pulling, setup and tear down, and the fact that we were able to see many parts of the country. About halfway through my wife says, I think we should consider a larger camper, like a Escape 21. So for those that have gone to a larger fg camper from a Casita or scamp, great move or was it a mistake?
Shawn
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
A lot probably depends on what you are pulling it with.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We went to an Escape 19 from our Casita Liberty. Mistake we made was going to a rally AFTER we owned our Casita. One step inside the Escape, and we knew we had made a mistake.

We would have bought an Escape 21, but its too long, can't get it into our backyard storage (way too tight).

Things we liked with the switch to Escape: everything. OK, to be more descriptive, in no particular order.

1. Storage: The Escape has easily TWICE the storage, if not 3 times. Lower cabinets are not tied up with utilities like they are in the Casita.

2. Large dinette: I think the dinette in our 19 is 44 inches deep, in the 21, its even bigger! Thats one problem with side dinettes, you are always limited to the depth of one side of the trailer (22, maybe 23 inches).

3. We can pass each other in the aisle way. My wife and I could not pass each other in the aisle of the Casita. I never took a tape measure to it, but the Escape is wide enough we can easily get past each other.

4. Floorplan: I much prefer the bed on one end, and the dinette on the opposite end. Both the 19 and the 21 are laid out this way.

5. Outside storage box: custom made by Escape to fit the frame and trailer perfectly, not only gives you great outside storage, but our battery is in the box, getting it out of the inside of the trailer.

6. Detachable power cord: its an option, we have it. Much better than stuffing a cord into a cabinet where it ends up getting caught on something.

7. Thermopane windows, another Escape option, well worth it.

8. Water tank under the floor: this is one reason there is more storage inside!

We take long trips, typically four weeks. Our most recent trip was to Alaska from North Carolina, with a side trip to Yellowstone. Almost 11,000 miles in 31 days, our longest trip yet. Our typical long trips have been to the western USA, more like 7,000 miles.

The longer the trip, the more the shortcomings of the Casita bothered us. If we were taking one week trips, or long weekends, the Casita would have worked for us. But we lived in the western US for many years, probably half our vacations if not more are to the west.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post

I’ll let you know. We just sold our Casita and are scheduled to pick up our new Escape 21 next month. We really enjoyed the Casita but just retired and are planning to stay out longer. For us we are looking forward to more space. Planning to tow with a V8 4Runner.
JeffRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Registry
Didn't realize Toyota now had a V8 4Runner. A quick look and it seems more than capable of this task.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quite a few owners of 17' Escapes have stepped up to 19'ers or 21'ers. I don't see them saying that they wished they'd stayed smaller.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

California
I hope so, it’s my big concern right now. It pulled my Casita fine but the tranny temperature gave me a bit of concern going over high passes in hot weather.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRow View Post
I hope so, it’s my big concern right now. It pulled my Casita fine but the tranny temperature gave me a bit of concern going over high passes in hot weather.
Does it have a tranny cooler? If not, I would add one.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #9

Kentucky
We pull the Casita with a 5.7l Tundra crewmax! The truck does not feel the casita at all! Bill that is our take away from the casita, great for little weekends or a week but a few weeks and it becomes Cramped for my wife. Escape has delivery openings after the first of the year.....hummmm
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

Kentucky
Jeff, my prior tundra had the 4.7l v8 and towed like a champ. That is one of Toyota’s best combination ever!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #11

California
Thanks, hope so. We have both the thru radiator and factory small auxiliary cooler stock with the tow package. Debating installing a larger tranny cooler. I’m picking the 21 up next month, should be cool and I have a trans temp gauge.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRow View Post
Thanks, hope so. We have both the thru radiator and factory small auxiliary cooler stock with the tow package. Debating installing a larger tranny cooler. I’m picking the 21 up next month, should be cool and I have a trans temp gauge.
Based on your prior experience, I'd go with a bigger cooler. Cheaper than a tranny repair!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
We pull the Casita with a 5.7l Tundra crewmax! The truck does not feel the casita at all! Bill that is our take away from the casita, great for little weekends or a week but a few weeks and it becomes Cramped for my wife. Escape has delivery openings after the first of the year.....hummmm
You'll never regret moving up! Many Escape owners started with molded trailers from other manufacturers.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #14

California
Probably will, may be able to add an additional cooler. Sorry if I’m pirating this thread.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
We went from a Casita 16 to an Esccape 21 and couldn't be happier. only time I'm not happy is trying to maneuver it in tight spaces, doing a 15-point turn in a cul d sac where idiots have parked on the lollipop, when towing with a 20' long F250 longbed, hahahaha, that was sketchy beyond belief, but somehow I made it. oh, probably didn't help that a coulpe bikes are on a rack hanging off the back, too, hahaahahah, makes the combined rig at least 45 feet long.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I agree with you, why so many want to use tow vehicles that are under built for what they are wanting to use it for, is beyond me. Today's 1/2 ton pickups get decent fuel mileage, very nice ride and comfort, and all the technical stuff you would ever want. If you want a smaller second vehicle for running around town then keep what you have and get something that makes trailer pulling a breeze. I wouldn't pull any travel trailer that is in the 19'-23' range with anything less then a 1/2 ton pickup with a GVRW less then 7500 lbs. I guess from living in Texas it's just a way of life for us, so anything else does seem awkward.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I actually pull with a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the "Baby" 2.8 4 cylinder Duramax. The truck's tow rating is 7800 lbs. Unloaded on the hwy I get over 30 mpg. Pulling my Oxygen I get 23 mpg. Pulling the CB 17 Bigfoot I got 12-13. Two years ago I pulled a 25' stick built with a pullout weighing 5k from Spokane to Las Vegas. I averaged 11-12 mpg and it pulled it fine in the hills etc. I have the long bed and the truck is actually 2 inches longer than the Silverado.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #18

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We went to an Escape 19 from our Casita Liberty. Mistake we made was going to a rally AFTER we owned our Casita. One step inside the Escape, and we knew we had made a mistake.

"...The longer the trip, the more the shortcomings of the Casita bothered us. If we were taking one week trips, or long weekends, the Casita would have worked for us. But we lived in the western US for many years, probably half our vacations if not more are to the west.
Excellent point. I am leaning towards longer trips to further destinations. We would have upgrade our TV and store the trailer ( longer than 17') off site, BUT, in another year or so it may be time.

Mark
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
alternative to the half ton pickups is a SUV built on a half ton pickup frame, like the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukons from Chevy/GMC, or the Expedition from Ford.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #20

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Wife and I just returned from are first long trip in the Casita. Kentucky to Saltlakecity through all the northern parks. Just shy of three weeks. Things I loved: ease of pulling, setup and tear down, and the fact that we were able to see many parts of the country. About halfway through my wife says, I think we should consider a larger camper, like a Escape 21. So for those that have gone to a larger fg camper from a Casita or scamp, great move or was it a mistake?
Shawn
Every inch longer than what will fit in one parking spot reduces utility on an accelerated basis.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape