Front Trailer Hitch advice - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Front Trailer Hitch advice

We use a parkit360 to park a Casita trailer in our backyard. 6 inch clearance on each side of the gate. The parkit360 does not work very well on grass. It is always a struggle. Someone told me if I install a Front Trailer Hitch on my truck this would solve my problem. I have You Tubed it and I think I will do this. Better than spending another $2000 on another mover & have the same problem.
Anyone do this & please give there experience.
If I won the award for laziness, I would send somebody to pick it up for me.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
I parked aircraft in hangers with a front hitch and tow bar and it worked great. But regulations required a 5 man tow team, 3 as spotters. When parking aircraft, boats or farm trailer you usually have a fairly good view of your surroundings. When backing a camping trailer your view is limited by the structure of the trailer. Before spending money on a front hitch pull your truck up to the coupler and check out the view.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #3

Name: Taylor
Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
Idaho
Registry
front receiver hitch

I previously had a single axle 17' Casita that I could manually manuever into a backyard off-the-alley carport. When we acquired our tandem axle 19' Escape several years ago, I needed to find another way to park our trailer. After reading someone's solution on this forum, I had a receiver mounted on the front of our second vehicle (4runner) and it works like a charm. After a camping trip, I drop the trailer in the alley and then "push" the trailer into its spot. I have fences and metal posts to negotiate around but slowly get the trailer exactly where I want it. After 4 seasons of using this method of parking the trailer, I've got it down to a fairly simple routine. I am making a 90 degree turn when I push the RV so I can "see" where I'm going most of the time. Certainly the first couple of times there was a lot of getting in and out of the vehicle to check. I'm appreciative to whoever suggested this option.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Do it. Doubles as bike rack, winch mount, step when working on engine. . . All trucks should have them.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I used a front bike rack for 2 or sometimes even 4 'family' bikes on my E150 van 10 or 15 year ago, and discovered that you do NOT want to be driving on dark roads at night with one. the headlights are obscured by the bikes, and the glare in my face was extremely dangerous.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not sure what truck you own, but a bolt on front hitch is available for an F150 at a very reasonable price.

I've been thinking about doing it too, as I have a very difficult time backing the Escape 19 into its carport. I either need to widen my driveway, or try a front hitch. Widening the driveway will cost quite a bit.

I have on occasion used my Honda Element to park the Escape. It is much shorter in length, so its a lot easier. Obviously the Element is not rated to pull the Escape.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Thanks

I have a 2015 Chevy Colorado. I am having one put on next week. Thanks for the information.
If I won the award for laziness, I would send somebody to pick it up for me.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Instead of fighting the grass and the soft surface you could consider installing permeable paver grids that grass grows though to create a "hidden" driveway. It looks like real grass because it is real grass and water can drain down into the soil. But the substructure provides a firm enough surface to drive on. They make them of plastic. It can be a DIY job or done by a landscaper. Early fall is a the perfect time to plant new grass!

You may have already been around them and not seen them even though they were there. They get used frequently in city parks where there is a need for service vehicles to go into the park for working on projects. They need an invisible driveway that will stand up to the weight of vehicles without causing harm to the lawn such as tire furrows and muddy spots where the grass get dug up by spinning tires.

Sometimes the solution is not an obvious one.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote