FRV Benefit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
FRV Benefit

About a year ago one of the members suggested I write a book.. I responded writing is work and I'm retired.

Another member, Ellpea of CA, encouraged me to write, amazingly gave me the book title (Musing on the Road) and told me how to do it.

I considered her idea an opportunity and have now written 25 chapters about thoughts during our travels. Writing the book has been so much fun. Her suggestion was just write every day, don't focus on spelling, grammar, structure...just spill it out.

Now I'm working on the re-write. It was Ginny's birthday on Aug. 24th. I gave her 4 finished (?) chapters for her birthday. I'm back in the keyboard saddle. Shortly we'll be heading to Florida via Minnesota. This 2 month trip should give me lots of writing time. I have a goal to finish it up for her as a Christmas present.

My comment is that this was a marvelous side benefit of this website and Ellpea. Secondarily writing the book stretched me, made me more conscious, the book is always lurking in my mind.

Also, thanks to those that have suggested writing a book in the past.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
About a year ago one of the members suggested I write a book.. I responded writing is work and I'm retired.

Another member, Ellpea of CA, encouraged me to write, amazingly gave me the book title (Musing on the Road) and told me how to do it.

I considered her idea an opportunity and have now written 25 chapters about thoughts during our travels. Writing the book has been so much fun. Her suggestion was just write every day, don't focus on spelling, grammar, structure...just spill it out.

Now I'm working on the re-write. It was Ginny's birthday on Aug. 24th. I gave her 4 finished (?) chapters for her birthday. I'm back in the keyboard saddle. Shortly we'll be heading to Florida via Minnesota. This 2 month trip should give me lots of writing time. I have a goal to finish it up for her as a Christmas present.

My comment is that this was a marvelous side benefit of this website and Ellpea. Secondarily writing the book stretched me, made me more conscious, the book is always lurking in my mind.

Also, thanks to those that have suggested writing a book in the past.
Norm, it's awesome to hear this report. I hadn't seen you mention your book lately, and hoped it was still in process (but then, knowing you, I really had little doubt). Also, we've seen fewer *musing* type posts from you, and I was pretty certain they were going into a more permanent form, in your book.

I hope other writers-in-waiting here consider following your example. Even beginning a blog and posting regularly there is a great way to get into the habit of writing (and to keep your thoughts less scattered than they might be in various forum posts). You can always post a link to your latest blog post, so members here are not deprived!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Sounds great! I have a friend who did the same- actually she and her husband were to trade books for Christmas- he quit and gave her jewelry but she finished and ultimately published her book and a sequel and is working on the 3rd. (Not about trailer life, though.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Florida
Ellpea,

This spring we led 10 people, 5 trailers to Newfoundland on what amounted to a 2 month trip. The preparation for the trip took significant time since the trip leader, a good friend, was ill.

I wrote a little booklet for people who signed up. We had 23 rigs but by departure date it was reduced to 5. It was a grand time.

Once home we become overwhelmed in some measure by family commitments. On the road and in Florida it will be easier to maintain a routine.

Thank you for the spark.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

Florida
Bobbie,

Though the book does contain mention of our travels, the travels are more the back drop than about the travels.

The extended travels has changed me in many ways, providing a time to think and improve.

It's been fun. The writing experience itself has been a tool for thought and improvement. A day doesn't go by when I Don't have a book thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
... The writing experience itself has been a tool for thought and improvement. A day doesn't go by when I Don't have a book thought.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm delighted to hear you are writing your "musings", Norm! I can hardly wait to read it. When will it be ready for "the public"?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Please have it published!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I look forward to reading it! I write almost every day, just 750 words on whatever's in my head, but I've always wanted to write professionally. As you can see from my blog (URL in my sig) I have a hard time writing consistently, so I heartily congratulate you on your persistence--let us know when it's available!
Steve
Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
I look forward to reading it! I write almost every day, just 750 words on whatever's in my head, but I've always wanted to write professionally. As you can see from my blog (URL in my sig) I have a hard time writing consistently, so I heartily congratulate you on your persistence--let us know when it's available!
Steve
Steve, your link sidetracked me into your blog, which I enjoyed very much. I love how-to's, and your posts serve as what i used to assign as "Explanatory Essays." Explain a process in enough detail that the uninformed reader has a good idea of, or (even better) can actually reproduce what you've explained.

It's lovely to encounter such details with also very readable prose. Please keep it up! (Also, 750 words a day is a very good output!)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

Florida
Mitzi, I intend to make it available

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #12

Florida
Steve, 750 words a day is enough to write a book. The key to most things in life is creating the habit, not creating the goal. If you write every day no matter whether it's 500, 750 or 1000 words the words will accumulate into a book. The habit begets the goal.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16