full size bed foam topper recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 05:13 AM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
full size bed foam topper recommendations

Hi all,

Any recommendations on good foam bed topper for full size bed?

In addition to being VERY comfortable, we would like something that is easy & quick to bundle up and store since we will be using it for a dinette table that doubles as our bed.

Thank you!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #2

North Carolina
ps this is for a Casita dinette table bed so I guess the rounded (back) side of the camper shell may need to be a consideration.

Does anyone have experience using a tri-fold topper with this type of camper bed? I wonder if the rounded corner would cause it to bunch up, but I guess it could be cut to size.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #3

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
trifold mattress

We have a 13 foot Scamp. We purchased a Milliard tri fold mattress and it fits perfectly in the big bed (full size). We squash down the square corners to fit the rounded part of the scamp and it works quite well and is relatively inexpensive and comfortable.
TimandLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Ohio
We have a full size, Serta foam topper flat on one side bumpy on the other. Bought it at Kohl’s for our 13 ft Scamp. Cut the two corners to fit. (Save the remnants, they are good padding to pack electronics in) It folds up and gets put on the toilet when we need the table. I think it was about $100 before using Kohl’s cash. It is nicer to sleep on that’s for sure, and the fitted sheet fits better with it than without.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #5

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
This one's pretty comfortable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JVXB2H/

I'm not sure how well it'll roll up, but it should be comparable to any other foam mattress. Thinner might be easier to store, but of course it'll be less comfortable.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Foam Topper

I got my foam topper from Foam Brothers in Houston. I took the 4 cushions from the back of the Casita, they traced the pattern on a piece of 4 inch foam and cut it for $100 + tax. I picked the most firm (#4), hope it softens some as it ages. I would recommend firmness 3. 3 inch thickness would do. Fits the curved corners just fine.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
ps this is for a Casita dinette table bed so I guess the rounded (back) side of the camper shell may need to be a consideration.
What model Casita do you have? We ordered a custom mattress for our 17' Deluxe from Mattress Insider. I gave them this template based on some measurements I took. We had no regrets on the sizing that I recall, though it was an 8-inch-thick mattress and the "hinge" was naturally a bit of a weak area.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita Mattress 160927.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We removed and replaced the factory foam in our cushions with a custom 3-layer foam sandwich and thus avoided the need for a separate foam topper and any need to remove and store a topper in order to use the dinette.

Our new 3-layer foam sandwich cushions consisted of 1 inch of medium density foam glued to the top and bottom of a 2 inch slab of somewhat higher density foam.
The 1 inch foam is softer for more comfortable sleeping and the higher density foam core prevents "bottoming out" when sitting on the cushions in dinette mode.

Single density foam cushions that are soft enough for sleeping are usually too soft for sitting. A local upholstery foam shop had us actually lay on different density full sheets of foam stacked into that 3-layer configuration until we figured out what densities would work OK for our particular sizes and weights.

Of course, "your mileage may vary".
Just another possible option to consider .....

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
We removed and replaced the factory foam in our cushions with a custom 3-layer foam sandwich and thus avoided the need for a separate foam topper and any need to remove and store a topper in order to use the dinette.

Our new 3-layer foam sandwich cushions consisted of 1 inch of medium density foam glued to the top and bottom of a 2 inch slab of somewhat higher density foam.
The 1 inch foam is softer for more comfortable sleeping and the higher density foam core prevents "bottoming out" when sitting on the cushions in dinette mode.

Single density foam cushions that are soft enough for sleeping are usually too soft for sitting. A local upholstery foam shop had us actually lay on different density full sheets of foam stacked into that 3-layer configuration until we figured out what densities would work OK for our particular sizes and weights.

Of course, "your mileage may vary".
Just another possible option to consider .....

Ray

Ray,
This is an excellent solution.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Name: Bill
Arizona
Topper

We have done well with a 1 1/2" topper from Walmart trimmed to size. Rolls up easily to store in bathroom or closet of our Scamp 13'. Don't pay more. We have tried a lot of iterations. BTW, we have given up trying to use fitted sheets; impossible on the back. Simply use a regular sheet and tuck in around the sides of the pads. Holds very well and makes bed-making quick and relatively painless.
William Deak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #11

Name: Ned
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 13D & 2016 Highlander
Iowa
In our 13' Scamp we are using a 3" Memory Foam Mattress Topper that we purchased from Amazon. It is very comfortable. I roll it up and put it in the back of the SUV so we can use the table. The round trailer corners are not a problem as the foam conforms to the shape.

https://www.amazon.com/ViscoSoft-Pre...ull+with+cover
GpaNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
We threw in the towel, and had a local medical/truck/RV foam mattress company make us up a pair of twins. Not cheap ($600 total) but worth it. Still working on an effective bolster, though.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #13

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Parkliner
Ohio
We had an old king size 2 inch memory foam topper I cut with an electric knife to fit the queen size bed created with the seat cushions in our Parkliner. I also cut down the fabric mattress protector and sewed it to fit the topper. I then sewed 2 flat sheets together on 3 sides to make an envelope for the topper, each sheet a different color. We use one side for a week, then flip it over and use the other side. Roll it up, secure it with bungee cords and store it in the back seat of the truck. For extra protection I roll it up in an old flannel sheet.
DavenBecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco