Full time in your Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 12:12 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Full time in your Scamp?

Who here lives full time in your Scamp? I would love to do an extended trip one of these days and just wonder what some of the obstacles you have run across are, living in your small camper.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
a related video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Who here lives full time in your Scamp? I would love to do an extended trip one of these days and just wonder what some of the obstacles you have run across are, living in your small camper.
He has many good videos but this is how he lives on $1000 / Month. First problem is a place to park for the night,
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If 2.5 months and 11,000 miles trip to Alaska counts as full time, we did it in 2004. Two of us. it help to be good friends.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Have you seen Elsa Rhae and Barron - their excellent YouTube vids about traveling and living for many years in their 13' Scamp, now living on their newly acquired land in Colorado
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #5

California
Pretty much any Scamp owner is familiar with Elsa and Baron. I’m asking this community.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:00 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Member “Hidalga” is the only full-timer I can think of in a small Scamp who participates regularly in this forum. You can look her up in the “Community” tab and shoot her a message. She seems to have it down and would be a great person to help you get started.

There aren’t many, and even fewer participate regularly. I think that’s why you’re getting referrals outside the forum.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I don't full time, but do "long time". My longest trip in an Escape 17B was 304 days, with a couple more well over 100 days. I have journals of all the trips here.

In 2017 I traded in the 17 for an Escape 21C, mostly to get an oven. While the 17 was large enough, it didn't have an oven & I got tired of baking pies in a Dutch oven! I've been doing 100 - 200 day trips every year since with the exception of the winter of 2019. I'm in Quartzsite, AZ on day 99 of this years winter trip.

As to problems, no major ones. I don't use a generator, but do use lots of amp hours, so I often wish I had more roof area for solar panels. The small trailer feels a bit confining on the 3rd or 4th day of rainy weather, but in general, the small size (at least compared with the large sized RVs) is not a problem.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:10 AM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Not full time, but

I spent three months and over 8500 miles wandering around with my 13' Scamp chasing trout. The one thing I wish I had was a better outdoor space. When it rained hard my awning was not sufficient and who wants to hang around in dark bars with professional drinkers? I am off to do the Canada/US border this year, will take 4-6 months, intend to pack a good screened in 'tent' to put over picnic table.

One thing I did invest in that I love is my Pop-Up Fire Pit and the grill attachment. It made it easy when camping to put my fire where I wanted it, not at the ring that was often far away from the Scamp and lights to read by.
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

Name: Matthew
Trailer: shopping
North Carolina
I have been living in my scamp for three years full time .

The space is not really a problem..you need to prioritize what you keep inside. I keep my bed made and not the table .made my bed a comfortable place to sit.

Listen. My email is irishandsteelers@gmail.com...if you have specific questions..there is a learning curve with anything you do.. You success will depend on your own ability to adapt to the situation. Outdoor and camping experience goes a long way.

Good luck

Matt
Sescilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #10

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Full timer in my Scamp 13 for 8 yrs or so. Really like the simple lifestyle. Go south for winter and north in summer as park host. Monthly cost is minimal and I’m footloose a d fancy free at age 75.
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #11

Name: Matthew
Trailer: shopping
North Carolina
Way to go! That is awesome.. And the South West is my fav.
Sescilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #12

California
Wow Jodi, I'm hoping that could be my future, once kid #4 flies the coop (only 1 1/2 more years). Nothing makes me feel happier than driving my Scamp along the open road looking for my next camping destination. So many beautiful places in this country to explore. I'm in a 16 and I think a 13 would be too small for me. Someday I hope to have grandkids who will love to camp with me as well. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:37 PM   #13

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
One thing I would like to suggest is a Jackery 1000 or 500. It is not cheap, but I find it really helpful to have a second place to store energy. You can charge that off the 12 volt in your tow vehicle while you are driving. While camping, I also charge my jackery with two 60 Watt portable panels (also jackery), which are lightweight and easy to store. Baron and Elsa have something like that I think. I highly recommend it.

One other other thing you can do with a Jackery is charge your lead acid battery as needed to reduce/prevent sulfation.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:07 AM   #14

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Well I guess I count as a full-time in my Scamp, I've been living in mine as much as full time since Dec. 2010 �� but I don't post enough lately but more of a drive by postings.
I've done some additional "living space" of a few portable buildings, acre of land and ECT.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
One other other thing you can do with a Jackery is charge your lead acid battery as needed to reduce/prevent sulfation.
Hi Zack,

I have a Jackary 500W solar suitcase and I love it. The 1000W is just too big and heavy for my small camper. How do you charge your house battery with it? How do you connect the Anderson plug or do you use a different terminal connector?
Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Hi Zack,

I have a Jackary 500W solar suitcase and I love it. The 1000W is just too big and heavy for my small camper. How do you charge your house battery with it? How do you connect the Anderson plug or do you use a different terminal connector?
Just saw this. I will reply again soon to answer.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
Anderson power poles

Quote:
How do you connect the Anderson plug or do you use a different terminal connector?
Are you asking how to install one? I do not like them but they are now the standard in the ham radio world. This video shows how to put a set on the wires using the configuration recommended by the company, Jackery is different on input and output. I now have the correct crimper but I was first sold a Harbor Freight crimper that did not work well, the crimp always needed a little squeeze before insertion. Before you say that crimper costs to much, let me say that many crimpers cost 500 - 1000$ BTW, I crimp and solder my power poles.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:06 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Hi Zack,

They way I do it is simply to use a Jackery 110 v outlet to provide power to your onboard converter/charger. (There are two ways to do that, I'll get to that in a moment.) The reason I do it that way is that your onboard converter is smart. It is includes a charge Wizard; It knows how to guide and push your finicky lead acid (LA) battery through bulk mode, absorption mode and float. I think that is important for an LA battery and that it is something a TV alternator may not do well.

One could say: that is not efficient! You are losing net energy. Why would you do that?

Here is an example of why and when I would do it. Suppose you close to the end of a trip. You are going to leave your rig sitting for a few days. (Or, equivalently, you are going to be boondocking and stationary for a few days.) Your LA battery has been getting charged by your tow vehicle, but it is only at about 80% (12.5 or 12.6 volt range at rest). Suppose your Jackery charge level is 80 or 90%. Using your Jackery to charge the LA battery for a few hours won't hurt the Jackery at all (the Jackery will be fine dropping down to 40%). On the other hand, the LA battery will really benefit a lot from being pushed up closer to 100%. (That will reduce sulfation over time while your rig is sitting.) You can do this either from outside the Scamp, plug into the Jackery like any 110 v shore power; or inside the Scamp, by lifting your bunk and plugging your converter, which is under the port side rear seat, directly into the Jackery. It will only draw about 70 watts*, so in 2 hours that is about 30% of your 500 Watt-hr Jackery.

That is a long explanation; basically you just plug into the Jackery 100 v. It is very easy. It might draw 140 watts for about ten minutes, but I think it will quickly settle down to about 70 Watts, which is a cake walk for your Jackery.

There might be other ways that are more efficient and better, and I would be glad to hear about them. So far I haven't felt I needed to buy something (from Victron?) that makes this work in an all dc approach. If anybody has a suggestion regarding how to do that, I'd be happy to hear it.

* This depends a bit on state of charge of the LA battery.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #19

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Anderson connectors / 12v system's

By chance why don't you like Anderson connectors? Have you had a problem with them or something? I've used them for over 20 years on my Jeeps for winch connection, jumper cables and now for "house" power in my new Jeep. I'm not trying to fling poo just trying to see if there is any better connectors or detractors from them.

Zach sc
Not a bad way to support the house lead acid (L.A.) battery. IMHO
LiPo batteries vs L.A. can be a harder for some of us to get use to using. In a twisted way I've been learning and using LiPo 12 v system for over a year. I would have probably got a Jackery and could have been a done deal for multiple uses but kinda built my own system in my Jeep.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #20

Wisconsin
Registry
The small andersons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
By chance why don't you like Anderson connectors? Have you had a problem with them or something? I've used them for over 20 years on my Jeeps for winch connection, jumper cables and now for "house" power in my new Jeep. I'm not trying to fling poo just trying to see if there is any better connectors or detractors from them.
Andersons come in MANY sizes. The small ones can be installed in different ways and people and companies do. Two loads or sources can be connected together, They are not water proof. Mostly, for me this is ham radio,standard number FIVE. I am forced to change every time ARRL gets a new advertiser.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 MFJ power pole.jpg  

Tags
scamp