Full timers warning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Full timers warning

For you folks who full time. We were sitting by the fire with the owner of a RV park. ( We were spending the week.)

He brought up the full timers helps keep the lights on during the winter. He also said the IRS called him & wanted a list of people who were full timers. He told them he had no full timers just people who pay month to month. Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

So something is up with the government. Be careful out there.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The IRS doesn't call anyone. All initial contact is done by mail. Information is done F-2-F in THEIR office. Smells like a scammer to me.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: g
Trailer: none
California
The irony is, we all frequently hear about phone calls and emails from the IRS, even face-to-face visits being scams yet here we are. The famous 3 words when we are reminded of the scams? "Oh that's right".
Might be fun to have the FBI waiting for fake IRS creeps like this at an RV park - just to watch them being taken away in cuffs, headed for their own personal Graybar RV park.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post

Careful of what? A fake government plot? Why not be careful around crooks and scammers instead?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Glad you brought this up jgilliam. Good reminder about scammers.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
For you folks who full time. We were sitting by the fire with the owner of a RV park. ( We were spending the week.)

He brought up the full timers helps keep the lights on during the winter. He also said the IRS called him & wanted a list of people who were full timers. He told them he had no full timers just people who pay month to month. Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

I don't think the IRS would call asking for that info. They do not call for anything. They always send a letter. That call was a scam to try and get info on people for possibly a list of people away from home or to get info so they could scam them. Once you start giving info then you forget not to give it and then you are sunk. Remember-never ever give anyone info by phone unless you called them to start with. Also remember the IRS never ever calls for info! This posting would be good to put on Facebook to warn campground owners to not talk to anyone calling for info.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It could be related taxes. If you are "full timing" in one location, for more than 6 months a year, they might say that is your permanent address. And would tax you accordingly.
We used to be members of private campground in Illinois. Most of the "campers" there had park model trailers. many with decks and skirting. They were required to keep the wheels under them, and have a permanent address somewhere else.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
It could be related taxes. If you are "full timing" in one location, for more than 6 months a year, they might say that is your permanent address. And would tax you accordingly.
We used to be members of private campground in Illinois. Most of the "campers" there had park model trailers. many with decks and skirting. They were required to keep the wheels under them, and have a permanent address somewhere else.
Still the IRS does not call anyone for info. They always mail a letter. Federal taxes should be the same no matter where you live or how long you live there. It is based on your income and not in the state you live in. State taxes is a different matter but the IRS has nothing to do with your state taxes. So again never ever give anyone on the phone any info for yourself or anyone else. If someone comes to your door which the IRS does not do either get the persons name, phone, etc and call the IRS number in the phone book not on the card they give you. If it's not the IRS then call the number you have associated with whoever they claim to be from but never call the number a possible scammer gives you.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
wouldn't that be of interest to the STATE, not the feds ?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
wouldn't that be of interest to the STATE, not the feds ?
You are correct it would be a state thing since federal taxes can be filed anywhere. Still they never call. They always send a letter. State, federal gov, local utilities, etc always mail you a letter or bill. They will only call you back if you initiate a call and they are returning your call. Best advice is to never give any info or talk to anyone calling you if you don't know them or if you haven't initiated the original call.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #11

Name: Ladonna
Trailer: IN the market
Pennsylvania
Scam warning

As others have said, the IRS never calls. They would have sent a certified letter. I’m glad the gentleman gave them no information. It was obviously someone looking for data to steal identities.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I don't think this is a scam....give them your soc. sec number and bank account info. and all will be fine.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Being an ornery old geezer, I usually respond to about all of them including political pollsters with some choice phrases I picked up on the kill floor of the packinghouse. They either walk off my porch shaking their head or hang up. Makes me feel ok.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #14

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Being an ornery old geezer, I usually respond to about all of them including political pollsters with some choice phrases I picked up on the kill floor of the packinghouse. They either walk off my porch shaking their head or hang up. Makes me feel ok.
Iowa Dave
And you're proud of that?
Old 09-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Yup. I like to be left alone when I want to be left alone. Signing up on the no call list does not get it most of the time. Waiting for the robo call law to change and will support candidates who make that happen. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 09-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Yup. I like to be left alone when I want to be left alone. Signing up on the no call list does not get it most of the time. Waiting for the robo call law to change and will support candidates who make that happen. YMMV
Iowa Dave
I couldn't agree more. Lately I'm getting calls with local exchange numbers. Thinking it's a neighbor, I answer only to find it's a sales pitch or worse. I block the number otherwise they call back sometimes several times in one day. PITA
Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I couldn't agree more. Lately I'm getting calls with local exchange numbers. Thinking it's a neighbor, I answer only to find it's a sales pitch or worse. I block the number otherwise they call back sometimes several times in one day. PITA
Bottom line......DO NOT ANSWER ANY CALL IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE NUMBER. If it’s important, they will leave a message. If everyone would do this and the spammers and scammers couldn’t contact anyone, these crap calls would stop. Too many people for some reason think if the phone rings they should answer.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I received one call that appeared to originate from myself, from the very phone that was ringing. I was curious but very cautious, of course. That turned out to the well-publicized “your SS account is being suspended” phishing scam.

I agree it has gotten totally out of hand. I have to keep my ringer off to prevent constant nuisance interruptions all day long, making the phone useless for family and friends. I tell them to text instead.

When is a phone not a phone?...
Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #19

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Since I have a home office, I have to answer the phone. What I found was if you answer the phone with the phrase "<your name> speaking, may I help you?" a large portion of robocallers do not know a person answered the phone and hang up after the 3rd try. Do not answer with any greeting like "Hi", "Hello", etc.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Alexander: that's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll start doing that. I wonder what they'd make of "Aloha," "howdy," or "Greetings?"

I'm not thrilled using my own name when I answer calls, because I cannot use caller ID (if we even have it). Low vision and low-tech here.

BUT--folks, I do know the IRS doesn't call, and the local police either show up in uniforms with squad cars or you get mailed notices.

BEST avoiding all scams!

"K"