FYI 2017 Scamp Report / Improvements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
FYI 2017 Scamp Report / Improvements

FYI Report on new 2017 Scamp 16-ft SD/FB which I picked up on September 11 after an eight month wait.

As a side note and full disclosure this is the third new Scamp I have owned. I had a 2010 Scamp 13-ft, and a 2011 Scamp 16-ft. Both with Front bathroom. The 13-ft Scamp was to small for my needs and sold after 18 months. The 16-ft Scamp great and I made lots of simple modification to it. I sold the 16-ft Scamp in January 2017 cause I need a new project and I liked working on my Scamp. That being said let me tell you about the new 2017 Scamp 16-ft SD/FB.

First, Scamp’s customer service is top notch. It starts with sales - Wayne Pitlick, David in Production and the folks in the delivery area. Scamp is on the ball – I’m a happy Scamper.

David, Scamp’s production manager, called about a week prior scheduled manufacturing date. We discussed the details of my trailer including the add in and deletions. For example, I did not want curtains or the Scamp decals and several other items. During the manufacturing cycle, I contacted the factory with additions minor changes. Not a problem, Scamp made the changes.

My delivery date was 8:00 AM 0n September 11. I arrive on time opened the sales office door and was met by Wayne Pitlick and the rest of the sales crew. Of course all were drinking coffee and I guess replaying Sunday’s big game. Anyway, completed the paper work, paid for the Scamp and on to the delivery area.

In the delivery area, the Scamp employe and I cover all aspect of both interior and exterior of the Scamp. He pointed out a few improvement such as the electronic thermostat, the 10-speed remote controlled fan, new drawer slide, and bathroom fan. On the outside the water inlet for the fresh water hold tank, improve outside refrigerator panel, and blowout connection for clearing water lines for cold weather storage.

SO that my FYI Scamp delivery report.

Henry

PS: on the way, north to Backus MN from Houston, I stop at the Casita factory in Rice TX to see what’s new in travel trailer. Casita had some 50 to 60 trailers circling their factory, mostly 17-ft one with a few smaller ones added. Casita pricing is lots higher and their additions to the basic are just OK, nothing special and to me not worth the additional cost.

PPS: Will post mod as completed with writ-up and photos
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On new trailers, its hard to beat Scamp prices IMHO.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Name: Will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
If they raised the roof a couple inches I'm in.
thewags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
I too am a happy Scamper. I am heading to Backus Oct 2nd to have a new Fiamma Awning installed. (I had an unfortunate incident with the wind thinking my Scamp was a schooner) They just got a new shipment directly from Italy due to the Florida plant being closed for an undetermined time. I appreciate their accommodating me.
Jim R.
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
I have a question.
I am asking you, since you seem to have some connections within the SCAMP environment.
Would Scamp be open to a change from marine plywood board (made from thin layers of wood veneer glued together). To Marine Board (made from High Density Polyethylene) which is totally impervious to moisture. It's used for decking on boats.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
FYI 2017 Scamp Report / Improvement

Best guest Marine Board (made from High Density Polyethylene) is not an option. Call Scamp and ask if they would use Marine Board.

I have not had a problem with the current decking (floor) on my Scamps but I store the trailer on my driveway away from ground water. I also don't do off road stuff either.

Henry
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for posting; We're leaving NC tomorrow to visit my niece in Wisconsin and will travel from there to Backus to have a new awning installed (our old Catalina finally just wore out). The thermostat upgrade is definitely of interest and I'll ask about.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks for the report Henry. Glad to hear your experience was positive with Scamp. Too often we only hear negative reports. We are picking up a New 16 SD/FB on 12 Oct. This will be our 2nd new Scamp. We bought a 13 new in 2014 and had a similar experience to yours. We had a couch/ bunk bed model with the big bed. When we toured a SD/FB 16 at Scamp Camp in Feb; we placed an order. The bathroom will be nice, but really looking forward to a dedicated place to sit down and eat. We will also be waiting 8 months. The list is now about 13 months!

We had good luck with their customer service too. We had a broken spring in a rear stabilizer, causing it to drop to the ground at 40 mph. It was mangled beyond repair. When I called Scamp to get a replacement, they sent a new one, no charge despite it being one year past warranty!

Good luck with your new baby! I'm anxious to see the mods you have planned.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Thanks for the useful report. It is likely to sell a few Scamps and make others consider Scamp.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
any pictures of the improvements?

Tags
scamp