Gas Safety - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Burro
I still carry the small propane tanks and Coleman fuel for my lantern grill etc. While in camp I place them outside under the tarp. While at home they are in the garage. Can I store them in the trailer so there is one less thing to pack? or will it get too hot?
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trek 1300 (Boler/Scamp Clone) / PT Cruiser
Registry
Quote:
I still carry the small propane tanks and Coleman fuel for my lantern grill etc. While in camp I place them outside under the tarp. While at home they are in the garage. Can I store them in the trailer so there is one less thing to pack? or will it get too hot?
Hi Taylor,

That's a good idea to keep them out of the hot camper under a tarp. (I assume by hot you mean a camper in the sun all day closed up.) I'm glad you brought this up since I, too, keep several of these in my camper. There is a relief valve on those 1lb cylinders to release gas if the temp/pressure is too high in the canister. Of course, the pressure that is released is propane. Not a good thing to have in a camper on a hot sunny day. But my camper is stored in a garage and the canisters are stored in the camper while it is in storage there. The camper never gets hot in there.

Terry
terryjeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Hmmmmm, I have always stored those little propane tanks in the camper. I guess I never thought about it getting too hot in the camper on a hot sunny day. It gets mighty hot in our garage too.
I figured if a big propane tank can sit out in the hot sun without a problem then the little tanks in the camper would be safe. Am I wrong? Anyone ever had one blow up or anything?
What do the rest of you do?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:07 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
What do the rest of you do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too leave mine (4 tanks) in the camper year round, and have yet had any problem or concern. They are not sitting on a shelf in the sun but under the front bench and as far as I know never had a problem of leakage and if so it would be minimal just to relieve the pressure and in a 1LB tank I am sure that it's just a "PSST"
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I figured if a big propane tank can sit out in the hot sun without a problem then the little tanks in the camper would be safe...
If that big tank ever released vapour to relieve pressure, would you know it? It's outside, and the propane would be dispersed, likely without igniting. Inside, it's not the same situation.

But yes, I have left 1-lb cylinders in my Boler. That was an error, and those cylinders are considered more acceptable inside than the bulk tanks because the magnitude of the risk due to the error is smaller.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane