Gas vs Diesel Prices - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
poured a cold one and have filled the popcorn bowl
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'm convinced that climate change is real, because our climate keeps changing daily! One day it's in the 60s, then it goes to the 30s, then it's back to the 50s... LOL

Beyond that, I'm not too concerned. If it really gets too warm, maybe the Canadians will let us move in with them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'll bite. You're talking about weather, which is what we had today, and it does change daily. Climate is the overview. I can't be bothered ( especially with this topic ) to look up the source to ensure my stats are accurate, but I recall a recent CBC report that average temp in Canada was 3.2 C higher than two decades ago. Of course, it was -40 C in Winnipeg at the time of the report ( which was the story people cared about ).
And, then you can argue if climate change is man-made or just a natural cycle. What I know is that one side or the other will be right, and that they won't get that much satisfaction when they are proven correct.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Export facts

You can get your data from the entertainment media (news division)... or you try the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Don't forget to compare exports to total production. Happy number-crunching! Oh, yes, a helpful hint: diesel and fuel oil (such as used for home heating systems, etc) are lumped together under Distillate Fuel Oil.

Personally, I think aliens from space land at night and tweak the price dials on the fuel pumps. It explains why they all move almost - but not quite - together, it makes as much sense as most of the theories I read here, like all good conspiracy theories it's much more difficult to arrange than the truth, and it's much more amusing to imagine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Mike Magee;358388Beyond that, I'm not too concerned. If it really gets too warm, maybe the Canadians will let us move in with them.[/QUOTE]

LOL just make sure who ever you make arrangements with doesnt live on the water front. We have already had usual high water winter tides.

Not to flame the issue but if a movie called Chasing Ice appears in any ones area it is worth seeing even if you are a climate change skeptic. The photography on its own makes it a worth while see.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Well, this thread will never be closed by the moderators at this rate. Not that I was trolling, but I did expect a bit of a contentious debate.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Contentious debate? Here? Naw, we save that for big issues... like what can vehicle X tow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #29

Name: Chris & T.J.
Trailer: 1993 17' WB Burro
Florida
Any questions on climate change are well-addressed at climate.nasa.gov; I recommend the "Global Ice Viewer." I remember visiting Alaska as a kid, especially stopping at a particular glacier near Denali; when I went back a few years ago that glacier was completely gone (that's not how they normally work).

As to the thread topic, we drive a Jeep Liberty CRD, which we chose for its combination of high fuel mileage and high torque. Plus, with a diesel, you always have the option of running it on veggie oil, the way Rudolf Diesel intended. Refined biodiesel, even kerosene will run a diesel engine. Gas engines have no options.
Wander Weekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #30

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander Weekes View Post
Plus, with a diesel, you always have the option of running it on veggie oil, the way Rudolf Diesel intended.
Rudolf specifically used peanut oil.

I wouldn't recommend a veggie conversion on anything that has to be driven in below freezing temperatures. Most common rail diesels don't seem to get along with it and HEUI diesels are an absolute no for veggie oil.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #31

Name: Chris & T.J.
Trailer: 1993 17' WB Burro
Florida
Well, you would not want to drive on straight VO in low temps without a conversion kit, but the kits heat the fuel lines, so that prevents cold-related problems. Here's a post from a happy CRD owner running on VO in Alaska with a conversion kit. He credits warming the fuel lines with better fuel mileage whether running on veggie or dino fuel. That's really something, considering my uncle in Alaska had problems with even petroleum diesel gelling up when it got as cold as it does up there. That's when he'd add the kerosene to get it started and warm the system up to get things flowing.

Of course you could mix VO or biodiesel 50/50 with dinodiesel if you were concerned. But the CRD forums are filled with people running on 100% biodiesel - which has the added plus of cleaning your fuel lines of the gunk leftover from the dino fuel.
Wander Weekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #32

Wisconsin
I've had to repair far too many vehicles damaged by bio diesel and bio diesel setups- including the "professionally" installed ones. It soured me to any idea of bio diesel.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #33

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
What annoys me even more are the people who lump bio diesel and straight VO together. One is basically filtered oil straight from the fryer at McDonalds. The other is refined into virtually the same thing that you buy at the pump.

[/rant]

Sorry, that's a hot button
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #34

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
What annoys me even more are the people who lump bio diesel and straight VO together. One is basically filtered oil straight from the fryer at McDonalds. The other is refined into virtually the same thing that you buy at the pump.

[/rant]

Sorry, that's a hot button
Its not the same as diesel, but will work on some vehicles.
Heui is one injection system that tends to be destroyed by anything other than straight diesel. Heui injectors can run $1000.00 each on certain applications.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #35
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Diesel fuel and home heating oil are the same product. Currently in central VT heating oil and off road diesel are selling for $3.90/gal and diesel fuel is at $4.40/gal. Regular gas is $3.52. This time of year diesel fuel users are competing with home owners. Increased demand causes an increase in price.

Since diesel fuel is used mostly by commercial vehicles, the cost is passed on, ultimately to the consumer. A portion of that is tax. Be it state or federal, it is really a hidden sales tax. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #36

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Let me clarify one thing. Most if not all diesel engines, including CR, will run bio diesel with no modifications. The only thing that may have to be changed is from rubber to Viton seals.

On the other hand, just about any diesel engine requires modifications, fuel heaters, secondary tanks, etc to run vegetable oil.

There are some fuel dilution issues from post injection for DPFs, but then we are splitting hairs. BTW, I work on TDIs and swap info and stories with the GM techs across the shop.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #37

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Well I like my Sprinter and get around 26 MPG or so most of the time.
The Sprinter also starts easily in any weather I have had it in so far and I have never plugged it in either.
I can haul like crazy and empty or full get the same mileage.
Towing the Casita it drops to around 20MPG.

The Tundra V8 gets about 1/2 that but is a lot more comfy too.

I would never try running the Sprinter on any Bio Fuel,it does not even like a lot of straight Diesel that I try?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #38

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
There are some fuel dilution issues from post injection for DPFs, but then we are splitting hairs. BTW, I work on TDIs and swap info and stories with the GM techs across the shop.

Jason
GM doesn't make diesels anymore. They're all Isuzu products.

I generally don't touch anything with less than a 10,000lb GVWR. The problem most of these vehicles have with bio fuel is the lack of lubrication in the pumps- or inside the ridiculously over complicated HEUI injector.