Gasoline supplies in VA area? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Gasoline supplies in VA area?

We're taking the Escape21C to Norfolk/First Landing SP tomorrow to visit our son, who is finally 'in port' this month. We are worried about the dagone gasoline supplies, of all things. Any locals give us the low down re gasoline stations situation?? Coming from central TN
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I would decide where you want to stop for gas and call several stations in the area and ask them.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #3

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
I think one challenge is that stations may have gas when you call, but may be out by the time you get to them

I just started to use an app called GasBuddy which may help you out some. Believe it lets you enter a zip code and shows fuel availability by station

It may also be good to carry some backup in a 5 gallon can/jug, but imagine there are many differing opinions about that .. just an idea
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #4

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
If you carry extra use a safe way of carrying it out side the vehicles. Watch for thieves.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #5

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
yeah, I highly recommend against using plastic bags
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #6

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hi folks

We are traveling through Virginia today and have had no problem getting gas. We filled up last night at Costco in Winston-Salem NC and are going north up I81 to PA. We have seen some stations empty but have had no trouble finding stations with gas enroute. Maybe we are in more remote areas on the highway?

I would also recommend Costco. Or Sam’s club.

You can check too on gas buddy dot com

But we were worried as well but has worked out fine.

SusanS
SusanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #7

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Btw

Our gray water tank is a gas can but decided nit to use it fir gas since we are not sure we can get out all the coffee grounds!!!

😊

Susan
SusanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
The bigger chains say no problem like wawa, fas-mart & sheetz. The tiny independent mom 'n pop stores, marathon, etc in remote areas are low or out. I'd suggest topping off often, don't wait til you're desperate (like I often do ).

And keep your eyes peeled for gouging, $6.99 was reported recently.

Enjoy your visit!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the pipeline is back online, so things are quickly returning to normal.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
A partial information answer: You should be able to fill up in Western Virginia. We get our gasoline from both Colonial and other sources. Contrary to the other day, while driving around today in my area, Roanoke, I did not observe any closed gas stations.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
We're taking the Escape21C to Norfolk/First Landing SP tomorrow to visit our son, who is finally 'in port' this month. We are worried about the dagone gasoline supplies, of all things. Any locals give us the low down re gasoline stations situation?? Coming from central TN
Hi: Fred762... You'll be able to get lots of "Beer" at the gas stations so leave it at home and take more GAS... in approved containers!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
For the life of me I can’t figure out why people post the same question in different places on this forum only five minutes apart.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rea-95686.html
and
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ine-95685.html

But you did, so I will reply twice.

I also suggest the Gas Buddy app or website, but keep in mind that the reports are from other app users, and they might or might not provide valid data. On the app there is nothing to stop people from reporting that a station is out of gas (or has crazy high prices) when that is not true just so that they can reduce the demand at their local gas stations. I have even seen one station owner who put plastic bags over the pump handles to make it look like they were sold out, but were filling the tanks of their regular customers. On the app, also look at the latest update time and in shortage situations avoid the places that have updates over 12 hours or so… because they could well be sold out by now. Still, GasBuddy is a good resource and about the only Internet resource to find who has gas or what the price is.

I don’t know what route you are planning but I can tell you that the Charlotte area was hit hard is is slow to recover. According to GasBuddy, the NE side nearer the pipeline seems to be better than points south and east, where is it about a 50-50 chance of any gas, and less than 50-50 for regular.

Myself, being well SE of Charlotte I looked for gas on Tuesday but everyplace was sold out of regular or had long lines. It does not seem to be better yet and I am hoping that tomorrow or Sunday I can risk an outing with the quarter tank I have left.

The fact that a group of criminals could cause this is incredibly alarming. Especially when you consider that our enemies are likely supporting the criminals and if our enemies elect to do so, could do so much worse.. with a few key strokes. Imagine if they also used bombs.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #13

Tennessee
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanS View Post
Hi folks

We are traveling through Virginia today and have had no problem getting gas. We filled up last night at Costco in Winston-Salem NC and are going north up I81 to PA. We have seen some stations empty but have had no trouble finding stations with gas enroute. Maybe we are in more remote areas on the highway?

I would also recommend Costco. Or Sam’s club.

You can check too on gas buddy dot com

But we were worried as well but has worked out fine.

SusanS
Thank you..we traveling east to Norfolk to see our sailor son who is "in port"
Old 05-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
A partial information answer: You should be able to fill up in Western Virginia. We get our gasoline from both Colonial and other sources. Contrary to the other day, while driving around today in my area, Roanoke, I did not observe any closed gas stations.
Thank you..we coming from Music City to Norfolk and First landing SP to see our sailor son
Old 05-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #15

Name: Julie
Trailer: Fleetwood Popup and Shopping
Maryland
I’m retired Navy, spent 20+ years in Norfolk. Just ask your son to talk to his buddies that commute from Virginia Beach. If you take Route 58 into town, fill up in South Hill just to be safe. And I would avoid Richmond/Williamsburg/64 at all costs due to traffic.
Sea Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #16

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Go down the DelMar peninsula. Plenty of gas along route 1 and 13.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote