Generator free camping?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Generator free camping??

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-power-outages
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
been generator free camping for the past 8 years, even going across the country on Solar!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #3

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
A 7,200 Watt generator the size of a full-size truck!
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
A read a review of the new Ford pickups and saw some of this stuff. Really cool, really impressive.

But a generator is a generator. You don't mean generator-free camping. You mean a pickup-generator in one while camping. To me, generator-free camping is what I do. Namely, generator free camping. No generator.

All the same, this is some really cool stuff Ford is coming out with.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ford's social media arm has been working overtime. This "hack" is showing up everywhere.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We don't own a generator. Solar panels meet our modest needs for electricity.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Just what everyone needs , a $80K , 5000 lb , portable camping generator
I’ll stick with my solar !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #8

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Ditto on solar. No fuss, no muss.
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:10 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Yikes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20210220_050900.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	139554
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
The truth is that the Ford “generator” is just an inverter with a big supplemental battery located under the pickup truck bed. It is no different than the van camper one of my acquaintances has which will run his A/C using over 400 amp hours from a very expensive lithium battery bank. The vans engine will start if the batteries fall below a certain threshold, recharging them. That burns one heck of a lot more fuel than a Honda EU2000i. While it may be good for emergencies such as thaw one going on in Texas at the moment, my 6,500 watt tri-fuel generator for home power outages is never going to require a multi-thousand dollar battery replacement and has worked when needed for 17 years. How many “generator” equipped 2021 F-150s will still be around 17 years from now. And it is unlikely that my generator is going to be involved in a collision with another generator and end up totaled. I view the Ford “generator” option more beneficial for contractors on a job site or landowners needing electrical power on a remote portion of their property. Even so, I can put my Honda EU2000i on a handcart and move it to those locations on my property inaccessible by my truck. I would suspect (my opinion only) that the wow factor experienced by the introduction of this feature will, in the long run, be judged as “not that useful” by the majority of FGRV owners.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #11

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
F150 horn honking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Do they still sound the horn every time you open and close the door with the engine running??
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Some of us enjoy being in quiet whilst camping. Solar meets that requirement.

I charged up my neighbor's cell phone when we had a not too long outage last summer. She was running her car to do that until she talked to me. I plugged her phone into my Casita and charged it. It's important not to use up your car's fuel. We were having wildfires in the area and one needed to be ready to drive away to a safe place.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #13

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I agree that at least for camping, this would be a solution looking for a problem. I never have needed a generator or any power source other than my battery and the sun, and don't expect to ever need one for camping. Whether it proves to be truly useful to more a very, very select few at construction job sites (which seems to be Fords target), I guess we'll see.

All the same, with continued battery technology development, I like that companies are thinking this way. I've been in plenty of situations using power tools with no shore power in sight, and sometimes nowhere near my trailer. Charging the battery for the drill, saw etc from my truck through a portable inverter works, but isn't ideal.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #14

Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Just what I want to do, put hundreds of idling hours on an inefficient $80,000 generator!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I agree that at least for camping, this would be a solution looking for a problem. I never have needed a generator or any power source other than my battery and the sun, and don't expect to ever need one for camping. Whether it proves to be truly useful to more a very, very select few at construction job sites (which seems to be Fords target), I guess we'll see.

All the same, with continued battery technology development, I like that companies are thinking this way. I've been in plenty of situations using power tools with no shore power in sight, and sometimes nowhere near my trailer. Charging the battery for the drill, saw etc from my truck through a portable inverter works, but isn't ideal.
One place this makes sense is for those that depend on solar and do not want to carry a generator (and the gas for it) for those rare occasions where there is not enough sunlight to allow them to keep camping. While I wouldn't go out and purchase the truck just for the "generator" capacity, if I needed a new tow vehicle, I'd consider it.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #16

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Those of us who tow with a hybrid know how nice it is to be able to stay in the air conditioned car with the dog when the wife wants to spend an hour at a quilt shop. The air conditioner runs on the drive battery. The gas engine comes on briefly every ten minutes or so to bring the battery back up. That kind of system has its uses.
Lynn Eberhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
One place this makes sense is for those that depend on solar and do not want to carry a generator (and the gas for it) for those rare occasions where there is not enough sunlight to allow them to keep camping. While I wouldn't go out and purchase the truck just for the "generator" capacity, if I needed a new tow vehicle, I'd consider it.
Agree with Jon, and the smaller generator version, 2.5KW, should be more than adequate for any camping need. Its just a matter of how much extra for this option.

My next truck will likely be another F150, and could be my last. Where the generator has made sense was dry camping where I needed AC. I would not run it continuously, but perhaps for a few hours.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
And for those who always want full hook-ups - use the microwave at a lunch stop.
Lynn Eberhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #19

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Ford's Pro Power Onboard (2000 watt) option is priced at $995 on gas F-150s.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #20

Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
It is not necessary to purchase a truck to do this. All you need is a 1000 watt, easy to store pure sine wave inverter. When you need to recharge, just hook it to your TV battery, start the TV and plug your trailer into it!

Tags
generator