Generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Barrie, leave the Chinese junk on the shelf.
Hyundai is a Korean company. Are you saying that Hyundai has their generators made in China?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Barrie, leave the Chinese junk on the shelf.
Greg H... Hyundai is South Korean, not Chinese. While I would love to adhere to a personal policy of not buying Chinese, preferable in favor of buying domestic, it is becoming almost impossible to find anything NOT manufactured in China. I am interested in buying quality. If Hyundai can produce a generator, with comparable quality to the cars they're producing, I'll consider buying one.
Barrie
Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
REGARDING THE NEW CHAMPION 2000 INVERTER GENERATOR:

I have a million things to do today! But being the procrastinator that I am ...
I went to the Cabelas site to investigate that new 2000 Watt generator. I also got onto Cabelas "live chat" to answer a few questions. I logged onto Weiss sales.com http://www.wisesales.com/<br /> http...wisesales.com/ to view the honda 2000i for comparison purposes and then called weisssales to get a price quote for the Honda 2000ieu.

Here is what I found out:

HONDA Model EU2000iA:

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A)
1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Overload protection and low-oil shut-off.
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.1 gal.
Run Time per Tankful 4 hours @ rated
load, 15 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions 16.7"H x 11.4"W x 20.1" L
Noise Level 53dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
PRICE: $879 (At wisesales.com > honda, yamaha, generators, chainsaws, snowblowers, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, trimmers, saws, levels, stabila, toro, ariens,[/B]) Price quote recieved via telephone inquiry

Champion 2,000-Watt Inverter Generator:

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A)
1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 14-amp, 120-volt duplex Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity 1-gallon.
Run Time per Tankful 9-1/2 hours at @ 1/4 load
Dimensions 19.3"H x 13.2"W x 16.3"L
Noise Level 54dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 48 lbs. .
PRICE: $699.99 at Cabelas.com Cabela's: Champion 2,000-Watt Inverter Generator

TO ADOPT THE CHAMPION GENERATOR TO YOUR TT, YOU WILL NEED A POWER CORD ADAPTOR. This can be purchased at cabelas or any RV site/store. Cabela's: Camco RV Power-Converting Adapters

The generator itself does not have a 30 AMP receptical.

There is a significant price difference between the Honda and Champion invertor generators. The dimensions are a little different, so you would have to see how this would work with your trailer.

I do have a Chanpion generator. I have found this to be an high quality product and I have found Champion to be an excellent company to do business with.

Hope this info helps someone.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #24

Name: Richard
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
something different

I saw this generator at our local RV show this spring. I am not to sure of the output but it is very light and quiet, uses methanol as fuel.

Check it out at EFOY-Brennstoffzellen - Immer und berall Strom - EFOY make sure to click on the English flag.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #25

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Mary Ann,

I have the Honda 2000 and have had it for some 10 years now. I love it. I purchased it solely to enable me to use the Air Conditioner when dry camping. Until recently I rarely used the generator as I found myself in campgrounds with a minimum of water and electric hookups.

There were several occasions when I wanted to use the generator while dry camping but I wasn't about to set it out in the rain. I couldn't leave it in the back of the Jeep and run it, it had to come out so I never used in rainy conditions.

My solution a couple of years ago was to finally modify the tongue of the Scamp by making a box that holds the generator and propane tank with the battery forward of it. I was only able to do this when I saw that the factory was putting a center jack on the 13 footers no longer the side folding jack. While at the factory I purchased a center jack and immediately did my mod.

I now have put roughly 64 hours on the generator in the past 2 years. That's far more than I had put on it in the prior 8 years when I barely cranked it up once a year just for fun.

With the generator so easy to use now, I'm more apt to dry camp and use the generator for other things than just the A/C as I did in February while dry camping in the desert for 2 weeks at the Quartzsite, AZ gathering.

Oh, and not only is the generator on the tongue in a box but I have a 30 amp extension cord plugged into one of the outlets on the generator and then run under the trailer to the electric compartment. I cut the female end off and ran it into the compartment adding an outlet to it. So all I have to do is reach into the compartment and plug the trailer cord into the outlet and crank the gen. up. Nothing is out in the weather. I don't have to lift the gen. in and out of the Jeep. You folks might consider this mod. it's great.
Joy, How much noise and vibration is transmitted through the frame? Is there much noise inside while it's running?

Ron
Old 05-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #26

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Hyundai is a Korean company. Are you saying that Hyundai has their generators made in China?
Oops I messed up my foreign junk companies, well you never know, Onan generators owned by Cummins Diesel outsourced to China and believe it or not my Generac 6500/8000 watt has a Chinese engine on it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Running the generator in the rain should not be an issue. I run mine in the rain all the time.

I wouldn't do it with the older "open" style ones.

I have a Generac 800 watt inverter genny that is quiet, and obviously, rain proof :-P One day, when I am rich, I will get a Honda tho. They are even quieter.
The Honda 2K and 3K are not rain-proof. Both owners manuals caution about leaving them exposed to rain.

From the 2K and 3K manuals: The generator is a potential source of electrical shock if misused. Do not expose the generator to moisture, rain or snow. Do not let the generator get wet, and do not operate it with wet hands.

Using a generator or electrical appliance in wet conditions, such as
rain or snow, or near a pool or sprinkler system, or when your hands
are wet, could result in electrocution. Keep the generator dry.

If the generator is stored outdoors, unprotected from the weather,
check all of the electrical components on the control panel, before
each use. Moisture or ice can cause a malfunction or short circuit in
electrical components which could result in electrocution.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you must have a generator get one that quiet. We camped at Lake Mojave a few camp sites away from some guy with a very noisy generator, which he ran every day for about 3 hours. Even the camp host had some unkind things to say about it. Make friends, NO generator, or least one that very quiet.
Better yet invest your money in a nice solar panel to keep your battery charged. Quiet, non polluting, no fuel costs. Make lots of friends.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Joy, How much noise and vibration is transmitted through the frame? Is there much noise inside while it's running?

Ron
Ron, I have a 13 foot with a couch up front so I don't have a bathroom as a buffer, like my friends do. I don't really notice any vibration but yes there is added sound/noise. It doesn't bother me at all. It's not that loud in fact others have commented that it's not bad.

If you have a bathroom or closet up front that will definitely buffer the sound.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jane,

I dont' recall if I ever knew where you are in California but several of us are going to Lawson's Landing at Dillon Beach, west of Petaluma, north of Point Reyes, next weekend.

I'm going up on Thursday to scope out an area big enough for us. It's totally dry camping, basically in a field. The ocean is just over the dunes.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post

Ron
Hi-
I reckon the inside noise is easy to live with since it's YOUR noise- but what about outside, which is where we refugees from urban noise are?
What do you all do to insure that your camping NEIGHBORS don't have to listen to your generators?
How do you make them inaudible to the folks in your vicinity who go out to the boonies for the quiet?
We like the quiet- that's why we don't bring OUR OWN generators!
SO!
How do you make your generators silent?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi-
I reckon the inside noise is easy to live with since it's YOUR noise- but what about outside, which is where we refugees from urban noise are?
What do you all do to insure that your camping NEIGHBORS don't have to listen to your generators?
How do you make them inaudible to the folks in your vicinity who go out to the boonies for the quiet?
We like the quiet- that's why we don't bring OUR OWN generators!
SO!
How do you make your generators silent?

Thanks!

Francesca
Joy has a Honda 2000i eu which is rated at less than 53 DBs. This is a very low noise level. You can be sitting next to that generator with a group of people, and have no problem hearing other people who are talking quietly. Your next door neighbor will have no problem with the noise level of that generator.

I believe that anything above 59DBs begins to present a "noise problem". My generator is 68 dbs, which is equivalent to a vacuum cleaner. I'd love to find a cover to dampen the noise and that can be easily stowed. I do a lot of dry camping in dog training areas with very few travel trailers. I usually park away from other trailers. When I use the generator, it is usually for a short time. I have asked my neighbors if they are disturbed by my generator, but have had no complaints.

I purchased something that was within my budget and could start-up my older model AC. If I find myself dry camping in areas that are less forgiving, I may have to review my energy needs. But for now, this generator works for me!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Joy has a Honda 2000i eu which is rated at less than 53 DBs. This is a very low noise level. You can be sitting next to that generator with a group of people, and have no problem hearing other people who are talking quietly. Your next door neighbor will have no problem with the noise level of that generator.
Even at 53db to 59db you can still hear it several camp sites away, depending on the campground. You'd be surprised at the how much relief you feel when that low noise generator is shut off. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but when I'm trying to listen to birds and other sounds of nature that generator is a distraction.
We were camped at Big Bend National Park in the NO GENERATOR area. I could hear Honda generators in generator allowed loop. That low noise level is only when idling, no load, they get pretty loud when there's a larger load. One couple's toaster made the generator as loud as many Chinese knock-offs.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Jane,

I dont' recall if I ever knew where you are in California but several of us are going to Lawson's Landing at Dillon Beach, west of Petaluma, north of Point Reyes, next weekend.

I'm going up on Thursday to scope out an area big enough for us. It's totally dry camping, basically in a field. The ocean is just over the dunes.
Thank you so much for the invite! Unfortunately, I am busy next weekend. But if things free up, I would be interested. Sounds like something my husband would love to do!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Even at 53db to 59db you can still hear it several camp sites away, depending on the campground. You'd be surprised at the how much relief you feel when that low noise generator is shut off. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but when I'm trying to listen to birds and other sounds of nature that generator is a distraction.
We were camped at Big Bend National Park in the NO GENERATOR area. I could hear Honda generators in generator allowed loop. That low noise level is only when idling, no load, they get pretty loud when there's a larger load. One couple's toaster made the generator as loud as many Chinese knock-offs.
I guess I'm not all that sensitive. On a number of occasions, I've sat next to Honda 3000i and 2000i generators and had no problem. Maybe it's because I've always lived in an urban environment!

Last year, I had a wonderful experience in a trailer camp ground with full hook-ups. It was fairly empty, located in a wooded area, had a wonderful view of a lake and was very quiet at night.

Is it possible to avoid noise if you're camping at grounds without electrical hookups that are fairly popular?

BTW, I am making some progress in keeping my energy needs at bay: just invested in a set of LED light bulbs from LED Trailer lights.com. Took advantage of the Casita Forum Buy that Adrian was so kind to arrange. This should help reduce the time needed to recharge my battery! I also plan to reconfigure my tongue to accommodate two batteries. I pack a battery powered fan to use in moderately hot weather and I also have a two LED lanterns to cut down on energy drain from my lights.

I do use the microwave at dinner time and take that opportunity to recharge the battery. If I don't use the microwave, I usually wait a day or two to recharge.

I'd love to get off the grid completely via solar power. Unfortunately, I would still need to protect my dogs and if I am camping in very hot weather, I will need to use my AC. I wish that I didn't have to have to generator I bought. But I need it to power my AC.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #36

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
. Your next door neighbor will have no problem with the noise level of that generator.!
SAYS WHO?
Other generator perpetrators?
This next door neighbor, and all those others who come to the boonies for the quiet, have a BIG PROBLEM with the drone of the generators that others feel a need to bring along.
And please don't lay Honda's "normal human speech" baloney on us, either.
Everybody knows that they used Ethel Merman's voice to lay the baseline for THAT standard.
A lesser known fact is what happened when Honda got poor Ethel to drone on in the same single note sustained monotone achieved by the Honda generator.
After ONLY AN HOUR the President of the Company strangled her with his bare hands!

I was in the Girl Scouts, and I remember the Rules:
Total silence outside one's perimeter is the Wilderness Camping Code Standard.
SO-
How do you make your generator INAUDIBLE to your Neighbors?
And no fair enlarging your perimeter, either!

Francesca
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #37

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
So are there other methods to make a trailer bearable when the heat index is 100 degrees every day? Would a de-humidifier take the moisture out so e'thing isnt damp inside? We experienced that with out popup last summer in the Keys when our A/C couldnt keep up so our sheets/clothes were damp. Even the toilet paper in the bath houses, ICK! So in some climates I think A/C is unavoidable unless you dont camp 6 months out of the year. Being tied to work and school schedules means camping in the hot summer months which means A/C.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #38

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
So are there other methods to make a trailer bearable when the heat index is 100 degrees every day? Would a de-humidifier take the moisture out so e'thing isnt damp inside? We experienced that with out popup last summer in the Keys when our A/C couldnt keep up so our sheets/clothes were damp. Even the toilet paper in the bath houses, ICK! So in some climates I think A/C is unavoidable unless you dont camp 6 months out of the year. Being tied to work and school schedules means camping in the hot summer months which means A/C.
I have never owned or used a generator. I've thought about it but, so far, have been able to get along without one. I camp alone and mostly in remote areas. If I were camping alone, with no one else around, I guess there might not be anyone to bother if I were to run a generator for a short while. However, I camp in remote areas for the peace and quiet and running a generator would be out of place anyway. If I was camping in a formal campground, with uncomfortable weather conditions, with lots of other RV's around me running their generators, I wouldn't feel too bad about cranking one up either. If I was in a camping area with other campers, that were not using generators, I would feel uncomfortable starting one. I guess what I'm saying is camping conditions and situations are different for everyone and I would want to be respectful of what other people expect of a particular location as well as myself. Hopefully, I can find an area to camp where I can co-exist with other like minded campers.
My two cents...
Barrie
Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #39

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Generator discussion always generates a lot of discussion. :-)

I know that the majority of people participating in this one are conscientious enough to know when and where to run a generator in order to minimize the noise impact on their neighbors.

otoh..we're all experienced enough to know that when we set out to camp at our favorite spots or new ones, we might encounter campers that are either not as conscientious as ourselves or not as experienced in the courtesies of camping.

I'm prone to give everybody the benefit of the doubt on the latter.

Other un-neighborly irritants could include but not be limited to: unruly dogs or their waste, kids, loud music ( that even solar users can bring along too) etc....these examples can all be considered a must bring along by the owners when camping but as annoying as heck to others that consider those things to be an intrusion of "their" camp space.

It always boils down to common courtesy...no matter where you go or what you do.

Make popcorn in the microwave while you make toast and watch tv, sit and watch your batteries charge all day by solar power, hike in lederhosen with bear bells on (my personal favorite), walk your dogs (on leash and please pick up), play your favorite techno dance/rave music, play cards with gusto, drink beer buried in ice all day long,...just be courteous to others.

For what it's worth, my pet peeves are piles and piles of spat sunflower seed shells and peanut shells left all-over-the-site by the previous occupants. :-(
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #40

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bear Bells.

We went to Alaska and were properly paranoid about meeting Grizzles, we did see 18 in Denali alone. We had our grandkids with us, truly vigirous hikers, always ahead of the old folks.

We wife had 'bear bells' on her walking stick, the kids smiled about it.

One night at a campfire with the ranger in Denali the kids asked about the use of bear bells. The ranger commented that they are good for occasional use, like when coming to a corner. He followed this up by saying that continuous use is discouraged, bears become curious when they're rang continuously and tend to be attracted to the sound.

As to generators, they are generally unnecessary except for AC. A microwave is far from a necessity.

For running everything else, solar and a small inverter are more than adequate.

Safe travels

Norm

Most camping locations regulate generator hours, primarily because a few people tend not to be courteous.
Closed Thread