Getting antsy for my Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Getting antsy for my Scamp!

Well, I've been waiting for a dry day to get my Scamp home, I've had space cleared in the driveway for a while now. Went down today, intending to get it back, but no luck!

I forgot that there was a padlock on the tongue, can't hook it up. Plus there's a low-growing tree right in the path I need to take across the yard. Need a second person to hold it up while I pass under, still going to have to remove my radio antenna from the roof of the truck. AND the path crosses a dog run, with the dog tied out, so I don't want her getting hurt either.

I did accomplish a few things today, though- got the connector switched from a 4-pin round to a 4-flat (temporary) and tested all the lights. Everything works except 2 marker lights. Will be replacing with a 7-blade RV plug and appropriate cable when I get it home. Lots of fresh grease in the bearings, but the tires are sketchy and need air, which I hope they hold! As long as I can get it into my driveway safely, I'll be happy and able to work on it whenever I want. Took a lot more pictures today and crawled in and around checking everything. One soft spot in the back corner under the fresh water fill, otherwise the floor looks pristine inside and out.

I had a good laugh, I wanted to guesstimate the tongue weight, so I lowered the tongue jack a few inches and gave it a heave. Didn't move, and I know I can at least wiggle 250 lbs. Then I remembered that the stabilizers were still down in the back! Once I raised them, the tongue weight seems somewhere just north of 100 lbs, which should be fine for hauling home.

No propane tank, and the battery was at 4 volts and change. Have a 2-page list of things to do immediately. I did find a bag of rivets and caps in the drawer (which it needs) and the original paperwork with all the manuals and hand-written notes from the factory in the margins.

So even though I won't get her home until tomorrow or the weekend, I have most of the prep work done. Hoping for a short and uneventful drive home!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Kevin
I recommend installing a molded plug 7 pin RV pigtail. Also get a 7 pin junction box, it really makes a much neater wiring job. You can get them from Redneck or E trailer.
Eddie
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...tro/38656.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
That was the plan, Eddie. I want to do it in my driveway with my parts box at hand and a place to plug in the soldering gun (butane iron died). Going to be replacing a lot of wire anyway, found a lot of sketchy connections and patched-together junk, including pieces of lamp cord. The ring terminal on the positive battery wire wasn't fully crimped, the wire fell out when I took the lid off the box!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Home at Last!

I finally got my egg home in the driveway, and I'm in love! Left early this morning before it got hot, checked the tires, hooked up and came home, no drama at all. Backed into my driveway, then unhooked and pulled it nose-in to the garage. Opened everything up and started cleaning. Vacuumed the rat fur, then in all the cabinets, floor, then wiped all the fiberglass down. Then I stripped all the cushions and curtains, I hand-washed the covers, then spun them dry in the washer, they were 90% dry by then. All hanging and ready to go back on tomorrow. Couple of the curtains disintegrated, but I expected that.

Cleaned the carpet and vacuumed again. While all this was going on I had the battery on the charger, seemed to take a decent charge again, will see what it's like in the morning.

Found just about what I expected, needs new rivets, window-fixing, and giving it the Zep/RM job.

Also need 3 new tires and a new spare cover, because the one on there is shrunk so tight that I'll have to cut it off. Gonna play with the fridge tomorrow, see if it works or not. The furnace blower comes on, haven't hooked up an LP tank yet.

Ended up after dinner I had the bare foam cushions set back into place, my son was reading and laying on the couch, I was laying on the bed listening to the radio. With all the windows open and the roof vent, I didn't need a fan at all today and the Scamp was in the sun for about 5 hours. Temps were in the high 80's.

All in all, I'd say the old girl cleaned up nice, will post before/after pics tomorrow after I re-stuff the cushions. Now I'm going to get some sleep! (not in the Scamp tonight )
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #5

I just bought a lot of you are getting ready to buy. The 6 ply Maxxis tires are good tires and can be found locally. M8008 ST Radial I bought a Plain white tire cover from Classic Accessories. http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Access...e+covers+75110 A very nice cover for the money w/3yr warranty. When you put up your curtains zip tie the rods to the holders. Thin plastic or thin trash can liners and a vaccum cleaner is the only way to stuff your cushons in the covers.
Sounds like things are going great for you and your trailer.
Eddie
Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks for the links, Eddie. I would order another cover from Scamp, but while I don't object to the logo, I don't feel the need to have their number and website in big red letters. Might get the plain white and cut my own logo, I like the tree design that Scamp used to use. My other lettering is not long for this world, so I'll probably replace that this winter.

Good tip on the curtain rods, three of them fell off in the 11-mile trip home. I have a roll of very thin and slick plastic that we will wrap the foam in, and use the big shop vac to suck the air out. Saw a show on TV once about a factory that made upholstered cushions for something, the plastic and vac trick stuck with me. The stuff that was on the foam was almost rubbery, and kept getting stuck in the zippers. Getting the cushions stuffed today and cleaning the innards of the fridge before I test it should make for a full day. Then we're having as my wife says, a "white trash campout" in the driveway, gonna set up the grill and hang out.

Also gonna check the battery and see how it kept a charge overnight, it was pretty well dead, so I don't have much hope for it. Once I get it closer to full charge, I'm gonna plug in the shore power cord and see what smokes!

I also played with propping up the rockguard yesterday. Found some materials for props that I think will work, just have to figure out the connections. The list gets longer every day, instead of shorter, but this camper is in better shape than any I've had before, and it doesn't have masts or an engine like my boats, so a little less to worry about (plus I hope I never need my camper to float!).
Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

I had a problem with the Scamp tire covers, the lettering would run when sprayed by certain cleaners. If you are doing wiring the LED taillight are a very worth while mod.
LED Light | 7" Round Red | Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV Time to go camping now, fix the small stuff this winter.
Eddie

Tags
scamp