Getting My Ducks In Order - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #21

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Looking at that Parkliner. Never considered these, have to mull that one over. thank you
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I... In the case of the Scamp, to get a bath you lose the front couch, where one of your dogs could sleep. The front couch also gives you a place to sit without taking up the bed. ...
Not true with Scamp's layout four where you have the front sofa and a bath on the side... its just not much of a bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
You mentioned the Chrysler dealer. My experience is that most of them have little knowledge of towing so be careful.
Or Toyota dealers in my experience, and likely most dealers. I would not trust any of them. Double check whatever they tell you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I wasn’t referring to just Chrysler dealers. It would be true of most.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
First thing.....

First thing to remember is to " Never trust a sales rep who is trying to sell you an RV". They could care less after you pull out of the lot. My experience is most of them have never owned any type of an RV in the first place. Trust the "Trailer weights in the real world" on this forum as it is accurate. After having owned over 40 trailers the interesting thing is we could " pull" any of them with our large garden tractor. But would we? Pulling isn't ever the problem- it is the emergency stops and going up hills. Look in your vehicles owner's manual it will be very clear what you can and can't do. They are lots of people out there who don't follow any safety rules and I just hope they stay out of the state I am traveling in. Why do gas mileage and towing with the smallest vehicle always come up? Molded fiberglass trailers aren't the lightest trailers around nor or they the cheapest way to camp if you want cheap get a tent. I would hope people are more interested in safety for themselves and others. I also know there are many people out there who are going to disagree with me and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including ME. I have towed a trailer of some type for a few decades now and so far have a perfect safety record so I know something of what I am talking about.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #25

Michigan
Parkliner and Lil Snoozey's

Both of these are interesting, but at the light weight of the Lil Snoozey I wonder how warm it will be. Love those big windows.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #26

Michigan
For whatever it’s worth I’ve wintered in Arizona in not an EggCamper and an Escape. Our EggCamper came all electric which didn’t work for us in cold weather so I had our local RV company add propane and furnace and cooktop.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Regarding Deb's comment of don't trust the dealer sales person. Last year we met a couple that had a truck camper. Sales person said "this truck will handle that camper just fine". They bought it and found real quick that no it won't handle the camper. Had to trade it back in and get a heavier truck. When we were towing our Uhaul 13 with a Honda CRV it worked good but the car was close to it's limit. Looked at a used Scamp 16. Hooked the trailer to the car and right away the rear of the car dropped far enough that I knew it wouldn't work so passed on that trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Ducks in Order

Beautiful job!! My hat’s off to you!
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #29

Michigan
FWIW the owner of the EggCamper told us when we took delivery that we should NOT use a wt dist hitch.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #30
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Ducks and Rows

There are so many fiberglass trailers to choose from as well as TV's so I'm sure you will figure that out. And DH may just like the idea of driving a PU so there is always hope!

So as for lady groups......it is probably a good idea for a few reasons:
1) You will learn a lot from them, from safe places to vehicle maintenance. The ladies in these groups have stories and know everything a lady needs to know!
2) It will give you the confidence to do what you are about to do....go around the country towing solo.
3) You may not want to meet ladies or even travel with them, but you will probably make a few friends/acquaintances that you will enjoy chatting with or meeting up with some times.
4) The beauty of the lady groups is that you can participate as much as or as little as you like, when at a camp out with them. You can share a meal with the group and then go back to your trailer, or you can share a meal, play games, go site seeing, take hikes, bike, kayak/canoe/boat, fish, make a quilt/sew, talk, hang out by a fire and then go back to your trailer. It's as much as or as little as YOU want to interact.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #31

Michigan
Homework assignment from you all!

Talking on this forum, calling sellers, researching unfamiliar RV equipment and options, talking with sales reps, garage owners who install tow packages, etc. I have done little else for a week.

And today my college education on RV everything on DVD's arrived in the mail. Thanks to this site where Mark Polk advertised hours and hours of solid info at my fingertips.

One day less to Jan 15, 2019
Old 03-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
Both of these are interesting, but at the light weight of the Lil Snoozey I wonder how warm it will be. Love those big windows.
I don’t understand what you mean when you refer to the “light weight of the Lil Snoozy”, as the LS is almost the same weight as a Casita 17’ (2300-2500lbs). We travel for 4 to 5 months during the summer, but stay at altitude, so 32-34 degrees at night with 65 degrees during the day (if it isn’t raining), and we stay warm with either a 110volt ceramic cube heater or our Propex furnace (I added propane and solar to our LS). P.S. We have owned 2 13’ Scamps (standard, & Deluxe) and the Parkliner was my choice prior to purchasing our LS.
Attached Thumbnails
5EA03786-9627-4D94-A26D-68354305EF66.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, the issue is the tongue weight of the Casitas seem to be more than Scamp or other brand. You may need a w/d set up to keep your tow level when putting 400# on the red end.
Which end is that Jim
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I don’t understand what you mean when you refer to the “light weight of the Lil Snoozy”, as the LS is almost the same weight as a Casita 17’ (2300-2500lbs). We travel for 4 to 5 months during the summer, but stay at altitude, so 32-34 degrees at night with 65 degrees during the day (if it isn’t raining), and we stay warm with either a 110volt ceramic cube heater or our Propex furnace (I added propane and solar to our LS). P.S. We have owned 2 13’ Scamps (standard, & Deluxe) and the Parkliner was my choice prior to purchasing our LS.
To expand on your comments I also do not understand how the O.P. has equated the Snoozy Weight with its insulation quality or performance????

I thought the Snoozy were a double layer shell with foam in the middle?
If so this would make for light weight with better insulation not worse?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #35

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Lady of the Lake

Quote:
I have lived on the net since last June watching other people enjoying their "Golden Years" My years left are w/o the gold

Searching high and low for a used and reasonable rig is nearly hopeless. At least working with my credit union is not helping. And my credit score is 821, one would think they would be beating a path to my bank account and stuffing cash in there. But I digress <_<

Today hubby dropped a bit of news on me that he doesn't want to travel but 2 weeks a year. (Bye, honey, I'll miss you........maybe after I stop being ticked off at you. )

So that means I only need a unit for myself and the dogs. I don't have to fool with a unit that sleeps one way to make crawling a necessity. I will only have the need for a double bed. Save some bucks there.

I have, (took me a while to get to the point) a Chrysler T&C, 2016 and hoping I can pull a Casita 17'.

Does anyone out there have that configuration? What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Are you spending several months in your camper? Can my T&C really pull that weight? I am trying to figure out a budget that will help me enjoy next winter.

I met a lady down in Organ Pipe Cactus national monument last month, she really sold me on the Casita brand. Came home and started reading many of your posts on the difference and watching numerous folks comparing the Scamp vs Casita, I got a little soured on the Scamp. I cannot afford to purchase the wrong rig which may have issues right out of the factory.

On a happy note, my son and wife are moving to San Antonio Tx in July. So having only been through the Texas panhandle getting to Az, that is a nice place to visit and irritate my DIL

I have 10 months before I leave for parts unknown.

One more item; are there any of you women who meet up and travel/camp in groups. Any help/advice you can give I will appreciate.
Your name caught my eye - We have been to Ladies of the Lake Sea Kayak Symposium on various coves of Lake superior 5 years in a row ! Gorgeous.
But we live in SW MI, if you want to view our 16'Casita SD that we pull with a 2008 Trailblazer you are most welcomed to visit and chat, check out dog size comfort, bathroom (at our age can't live without). carolyntoll@gmail.com
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #36

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
We first thought no stove in the EggCamper would be a negative. But we mostly use an electric skillet and that works out great for us! We then put it away in the under bed bin, and have free ample counter space for the rest of the day! We do also bring a small propane grille for outside cooking when its nice out!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Talking on this forum, calling sellers, researching unfamiliar RV equipment and options, talking with sales reps, garage owners who install tow packages, etc. I have done little else for a week.

And today my college education on RV everything on DVD's arrived in the mail. Thanks to this site where Mark Polk advertised hours and hours of solid info at my fingertips.

One day less to Jan 15, 2019
Vivienne,

Welcome to the forum.

You will be well-served to learn everything you can. In my observation, talking with one person about a subject which is new to us can answer all of our questions and give us an almost immediate education! Then, talking with additional people introduces new questions.

It takes time to work through it all. I think it would really be helpful to look for a rally where you can talk with owners and tour different trailers.

We found a 17' Casita too limiting for us as a couple with no pets. Other folks are happy with an even smaller 13' trailer for two or more people. Each trailer brand and model have advantages and disadvantages. I believe that more people have transitioned from a Casita to an Escape than the other way around.

Propane (LP) appliances are common in most trailers, but not the Egg and Snoozy. Propane allows you to do things such as run a refrigerator and furnace without 120V power. Air conditioning requires 120V "shore power" or a generator. Your ability to use a generator will be limited to certain hours in many parks.

Best of luck, I hope you have a wonderful travel experience.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #38

Michigan
Electric skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
We first thought no stove in the EggCamper would be a negative. But we mostly use an electric skillet and that works out great for us! We then put it away in the under bed bin, and have free ample counter space for the rest of the day! We do also bring a small propane grille for outside cooking when it's nice out!
An electric skillet, that is an interesting alternative, why didn't I think of that. How much energy does it use up from the battery?

Cooking outdoors, not sure of that.

Still, there are reasons to consider your advice and help. Thank you for your post.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #39

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
is there a 12v skillet? that could run a battery down pretty quick I think! we use a small 1 burner gas stove for cooking when we cant get outside!

I have never figured out why they put a 3 burner stove in a camper by the way!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #40

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Not true with Scamp's layout four where you have the front sofa and a bath on the side... its just not much of a bathroom.

Or Toyota dealers in my experience, and likely most dealers. I would not trust any of them. Double check whatever they tell you.
Generalizations such as that are not necessarily true. My experience in buying used vehicles is very different than what you stated. I have purchased two lower miles used cars from dealers and both have proven to be excellent, trouble free vehicles. The first one I put over 100k miles on it with only the normal wear and tear items needing replacement such as the brakes. It then it went to a friend who put another 100k miles on it. The second one I still own. I purchased a 2006 model in 2008 and 10 years later it is still trouble free.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote