Getting My Ducks In Order - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
An electric skillet, that is an interesting alternative, why didn't I think of that. How much energy does it use up from the battery?

Cooking outdoors, not sure of that.

Still, there are reasons to consider your advice and help. Thank you for your post.
If you're not plugged into electricity, any function that involves heat- cooking, space heating, hot water- has to be accomplished with propane. Battery power is not sufficient. Even a generator won't cut it except for possibly cooking with a small microwave.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #42

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
A portable propane or butane camp stove with one or two burners could be set on the counter, or carried outside when the whim strikes. Small gas bottles screw onto the side or whatever. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Bur...70_&dpSrc=srch for example, or https://www.amazon.com/ROM-AMERICA-P...70_&dpSrc=srch
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #43

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
An electric skillet, that is an interesting alternative, why didn't I think of that. How much energy does it use up from the battery?

Cooking outdoors, not sure of that.

Still, there are reasons to consider your advice and help. Thank you for your post.
Hello Ladyofthelakes,

My apologies I was not very clear. We use the electric skillet when the EggCamper is plugged into campground electric. So its just your average one you have in your kitchen. It would not work unless the EggCamper was plugged in, or if you ran a small generator. We do have a small Honda 2000 Generator for those times when we are off the grid and want to plug the EggCamper in for A/C, heat, hot water, or skillet (one at a time). But I have to be honest - so far we seem to always have electric hookups when we camp, and have not used the generator (yet) except to try it out in the driveway...ha.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #44

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Not true with Scamp's layout four where you have the front sofa and a bath on the side... its just not much of a bathroom.

Or Toyota dealers in my experience, and likely most dealers. I would not trust any of them. Double check whatever they tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Generalizations such as that are not necessarily true. My experience in buying used vehicles is very different than what you stated. I have purchased two lower miles used cars from dealers and both have proven to be excellent, trouble free vehicles. The first one I put over 100k miles on it with only the normal wear and tear items needing replacement such as the brakes. It then it went to a friend who put another 100k miles on it. The second one I still own. I purchased a 2006 model in 2008 and 10 years later it is still trouble free.
You quoted me so I assume your reply goes to my statements. I was not talking about the quality of used vehicles at all. I was talking about the knowledge of the dealers. And the dealers might be good or bad, but from my experience I would not take anything they say for fact unless I verified it. The quality of the used cars they sell is an entirely different and unrelated matter.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #45

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I bought from a car salesman for probably 25 years. He has a toy hauler and is a knowledgeable trailer tower but itís been my experience that he is not like most car sellers in that respect.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #46

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Plugging in vs Boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
Hello Ladyofthelakes,

My apologies I was not very clear. We use the electric skillet when the EggCamper is plugged into campground electric. So its just your average one you have in your kitchen. It would not work unless the EggCamper was plugged in, or if you ran a small generator. We do have a small Honda 2000 Generator for those times when we are off the grid and want to plug the EggCamper in for A/C, heat, hot water, or skillet (one at a time). But I have to be honest - so far we seem to always have electric hookups when we camp, and have not used the generator (yet) except to try it out in the driveway...ha.
For my a kitchen and bathroom are a must. I will be boondocking a lot, that is what Hubby and I did last month in Az in a rental. Not big on crowds.

We did stay at 2 campgrounds and the spotless bathrooms made up for the lack of scenery and only RV's to admire.
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #47

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
In case you have not see this website yet... https://freecampsites.net/ is a nice resource for finding boondock sites that other people have posted about.

One way to buy a southern vehicle while residing up north is to shop a nationwide firm like Carmax.com . They have a store in Grand Rapids, and others around the country. You can pick out something from down south, ask to see the carfax (or similar) report to see what states the vehicle has been owned in, and if you want to buy it they will transport it in for you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #48

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I am really late to this thread -- don't know if anyone has responded that has a T & C with Casita -- I have a 2013 T and C and a 16 Casita that I have rebuilt -- and it pulls really well. I get 25 MPG without the camper (but I also drive pretty fast) and I got about 15 going against a real stiff head wind -- and about 16-17 in normal flat driving going about 65. Since the air pushing is greater the faster you go, I think that slowing down will get better mileage.
Haven't weighed everything, but I can pick up the tongue so can't be more than about 275. I have it set up with 30 gal tank back of the axle so if I put water in, there will be less on the tongue.
Mine is an older camper, and has a 6 foot inside height.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #49

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
In case you have not see this website yet... https://freecampsites.net/ is a nice resource for finding boondock sites that other people have posted about.

One way to buy a southern vehicle while residing up north is to shop a nationwide firm like Carmax.com . They have a store in Grand Rapids, and others around the country. You can pick out something from down south, ask to see the carfax (or similar) report to see what states the vehicle has been owned in, and if you want to buy it they will transport it in for you.
Yep, been on carmax, and the Guru guys too. This search is turning into a Goat Rodeo, my eyes are square from working on this computer non-stop for near two weeks. Still batting around 1000-1. Negotiating with folks who have overpriced the rigs I am interested is exhausting, but I'll win.

I found out about Free campsites by watching the Van dwellers on YouTube, did some of that research before we went to Az last month, Arizona Highways is one of my go-to resources. This past Dec. issue had all 52 nation and state parks in Az listed.

We chose Organ Pipe Cactus National Park and Kofa mountains wildlife refuge. The Boondocking there at OPCNP was awesome. The furnace blew on our rented rig so we could not boondock at the Kofa Mts. bummer. That's what made me sit down at this computer and work non-stop on this researching RVs and all that pertains to it. Did I mention that I LOVE the net? However, I do have square eyes now and am getting around 5 1/2 hrs
of sleep.

Nuff chatter, back to work.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #50

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I am really late to this thread -- don't know if anyone has responded that has a T & C with Casita -- I have a 2013 T and C and a 16 Casita that I have rebuilt -- and it pulls really well. I get 25 MPG without the camper (but I also drive pretty fast) and I got about 15 going against a real stiff head wind -- and about 16-17 in normal flat driving going about 65. Since the air pushing is greater the faster you go, I think that slowing down will get better mileage.
Haven't weighed everything, but I can pick up the tongue so can't be more than about 275. I have it set up with 30 gal tank back of the axle so if I put water in, there will be less on the tongue.
Mine is an older camper, and has a 6 foot inside height.
Thank you Eric for the input. I think I am stuck on the 17 footers, b/c of my two dogs.

As for the T&C, which is my first van ever, and I love! I see a truck in my future, sooner is better. Hubby wants 4 doors, I want 4x4, cap, and enough guts to pull and pack the weight. He is leaving it up to me, I am the one who tackles those pesky car dealers.

Now, I am just too ornery, with a smile of course.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #51

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
We "camped" for about 5 years in KOA Kamping Kabins, using an electric kettle and an electric skillet for cooking purposes.

This is a post I made about 15 months ago.POST
I told my husband I was going to start looking for a camping buddy. My retirement plans started as we were cat-free to backpacking the AT (solo) then to an Aspen Motorcycle Popup Camper, then to a Teardrop as we acquired a cat, then to a FG with a large underbed storage to convert to a cat kingdom.

DH kept protesting he would go camping with me in the future- neither of us is up to sleeping on the airmattress in the tent anymore -and for about a year I just told him to stop lying to me, if you haven't wanted to camp before I doubt you'll want to camp now.

He is now semi retired and having anxiety attacks whenever we talk about camping. I knew he should have been camping with me to get used to things, he keeps pointing to all the camping trips he did do with me- less than10 in 35 years- but I couldn't tell him anything, and as a Hospice nurse I was VERY aware of the "we'll travel and live life large ***someday***" philosophy of life, which translates in actual terms to *someday never comes***. Never. NEVER. EVER.

I figure that our first 6 camping trips are going to be natural history as opposed to city trips, since city trips were all DH would agree to during this time. And I am prepared to fly him home if he can't take it. And continue solo- at least until I can find a camping buddy. It's what I've done for 35 years now. I have already shared a great many fantastic, once in a lifetime, peak experiences with 35 men and youth I don't see over the breakfast table anymore, so I'm kinda used to it. UNPOST.

We did discuss a tug that could pull more than FG trailers, in case our needs change.
What is interesting is we didn't feel the need to have new daily life vehicles until we got an all the bells and whistles 2014 Dodge. We really needed automatic transmissions and back up cameras- we just didn't realize it till we started driving a car that offered it all.
DH wanted input and his suggestions were really sensible- like the upgraded Thetford marine cassete toilet that unloads from the outside, the spare tire being mounted to the trailer, the extra LED lights in the storage area, and the extra window (I think I must have SAD)
DH did misplace his passport on our monthlong trip to Newfoundland/Nova Scotia. I sent him home on the Amtrak to look for it. We discovered there are passport replacement services that work about overnight. We were happy to pay their charges for the services rendered. (I did offer to drive him and the cats back to our retirement place, and I told him I would rest a few days and then take off for NF/NS. He chose to come along)

DH had asked about Montreal and Quebec last summer and we're going to hit them on this summer's monthlong trip.

I have been amazed by his desire to accompany after so many years of camping on my own or with Boy Scouts. I am still ready at any time to fly him back to our retirement home if he finds himself disliking a trip. I can't get mad at him. Just because he liked camping with me and the kids for the first year or two after we married doesn't mean he'll continue to like camping. Truths change over time....

He's offered to move with me to anywhere I feel comfortable - I have heat induced asthma and need lower summer temps than I'm getting here- but I don't know where to move till I visit, which is nother reason to buy a camper.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #52

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
We "camped" for about 5 years in KOA Kamping Kabins, using an electric kettle and an electric skillet for cooking purposes.

This is a post I made about 15 months ago.POST
I told my husband I was going to start looking for a camping buddy. My retirement plans started as we were cat-free to backpacking the AT (solo) then to an Aspen Motorcycle Popup Camper, then to a Teardrop as we acquired a cat, then to a FG with a large underbed storage to convert to a cat kingdom.

DH kept protesting he would go camping with me in the future- neither of us is up to sleeping on the airmattress in the tent anymore -and for about a year I just told him to stop lying to me, if you haven't wanted to camp before I doubt you'll want to camp now.

He is now semi retired and having anxiety attacks whenever we talk about camping. I knew he should have been camping with me to get used to things, he keeps pointing to all the camping trips he did do with me- less than10 in 35 years- but I couldn't tell him anything, and as a Hospice nurse I was VERY aware of the "we'll travel and live life large ***someday***" philosophy of life, which translates in actual terms to *someday never comes***. Never. NEVER. EVER.

I figure that our first 6 camping trips are going to be natural history as opposed to city trips, since city trips were all DH would agree to during this time. And I am prepared to fly him home if he can't take it. And continue solo- at least until I can find a camping buddy. It's what I've done for 35 years now. I have already shared a great many fantastic, once in a lifetime, peak experiences with 35 men and youth I don't see over the breakfast table anymore, so I'm kinda used to it. UNPOST.

We did discuss a tug that could pull more than FG trailers, in case our needs change.
What is interesting is we didn't feel the need to have new daily life vehicles until we got an all the bells and whistles 2014 Dodge. We really needed automatic transmissions and back up cameras- we just didn't realize it till we started driving a car that offered it all.
DH wanted input and his suggestions were really sensible- like the upgraded Thetford marine cassete toilet that unloads from the outside, the spare tire being mounted to the trailer, the extra LED lights in the storage area, and the extra window (I think I must have SAD)
DH did misplace his passport on our monthlong trip to Newfoundland/Nova Scotia. I sent him home on the Amtrak to look for it. We discovered there are passport replacement services that work about overnight. We were happy to pay their charges for the services rendered. (I did offer to drive him and the cats back to our retirement place, and I told him I would rest a few days and then take off for NF/NS. He chose to come along)

DH had asked about Montreal and Quebec last summer and we're going to hit them on this summer's monthlong trip.

I have been amazed by his desire to accompany after so many years of camping on my own or with Boy Scouts. I am still ready at any time to fly him back to our retirement home if he finds himself disliking a trip. I can't get mad at him. Just because he liked camping with me and the kids for the first year or two after we married doesn't mean he'll continue to like camping. Truths change over time....

He's offered to move with me to anywhere I feel comfortable - I have heat induced asthma and need lower summer temps than I'm getting here- but I don't know where to move till I visit, which is nother reason to buy a camper.
Holy Moses, Mitzi, if you aren't a breath of fresh air.
It's tough fighting "City Hall aka DH

Boy have I got some tales to tell. But it would only raise my blood pressure to near stroke level. So I am going to chill.

I too have decided to go solo, miss him, wish he would go with me, but I have been on this island 48 years and watching my siblings punching their tickets! Lost my twin 2 years ago, still can't get over losing him.

Anyhoo, on a happy note hubby is onboard, said he was, (broken promises later) I hold him to this one, remind him each and every day he said we would buy and RV, come heck or high water it'll happen.

I have been in bed most of the day because I am totally exhausted, emotionally drained from dealing with, making phone calls negotiating for 2 solid weeks with an assortment of rv's and people all in the southern states. The problem is my wallet is just too skinny to get what I want. Not a mansion, just a nice little rv at a good price. Doesn't everyone. Got a deal looking into in the south right now, but now the stinkin cellphone won't text in this "spring snow storm" going on right now.

I am really hoping to hook up with the women's groups to travel in small groups or whatever size group. Somethings gotta work, right?

"It's a great life, if you don't weaken" says a fellow I used to work with.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #53

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Might I encourage you to take your time and enjoy the process? Relax and let opportunity work for you. Assume success and smile.

I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #54

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Beautiful job!! My hat’s off to you!
I hope you're complimenting us! If so, thanks!

If not... !

Looking back, it was a lot of fun. At the time...well, we do love a project. As 40bpm, Jan, said, take your time and enjoy the process. Looking back, we really DID enjoy every second of it! From the first glimmering idea of it, to finding it, getting it, and the whole nine yards. Our budget wasn't up to a new unit, either, although we found some that might've been worth a looooooooooong drive to go and get.

It would've been hard to spoil it!

Thanks again!

And...Ladyofthelakes: wishing you all the very BEST with all of it!

Kai & Paul
& the pug girls
shown in pen at our first campsite, July 2016. Note the gate--a wine rack we were going to use for galley supports, but we couldn't get them to fit right. But having spent $10 whole dollars on it, and put all the work into cutting it apart and all, we found a camping use for it/them anyway. The girls can get their faces into the holes, which is pretty funny.
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #55

Michigan
quote; And...Ladyofthelakes: wishing you all the very BEST with all of it!

Kai & Paul
& the pug girls

thank you very much. Right now I am a little depressed, so I am going to do what I should do on this Easter day. Reflect on how much I really do have through my faith.

Taking a rest from the search, this house needs some work.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #56

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Eat some chocolate.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #57

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
LOTL please enjoy the journey. That which we obtain too cheap we don't value as much as we should. There's a balance in there, but I have lousy balance...Working in Hospice for 24 years, there are no guarentees whatsoever. I hung out at a couple other RV forums for 12 YEARS before Lil Snoozy "sang" to me. I learnt a great deal doing that.

Me and Edith Piaf...Je ne regrette rien. Not a bad summation of a life.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #58

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
Sisters on the Fly. Joined about eighteen months ago. Best thing I've ever done for myself.😁
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote