Getting parts for my 1982 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Getting parts for my 1982 Boler

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1982 Boler 13 foot trailer yesterday and the taillight is broken. any idea where I can find a new set? Also was wondering if the cushions covers from Scamp would work? Any help on where I can find parts would be most helpful! I plan on gutting the trailer bringing her back to life. Thanks and all the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
If you check out Boler.ca, there's a parts page where the owner of the site has sourced a number of places to purchase Boler parts. Also Vintage Trailer Supply, which carries parts for many makes.
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

California
Registry

Thanks so much for that info! I notice on the Boler.ca the Locking Gasket Kit for the window was 197.00 per window and on Scamp it was 40.00 each. Will the Scamp gasket work on the Boler? Looks identical. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
Thanks so much for that info! I notice on the Boler.ca the Locking Gasket Kit for the window was 197.00 per window and on Scamp it was 40.00 each. Will the Scamp gasket work on the Boler? Looks identical. Thanks again

Remember to convert CAD to USD when comparing prices. $197 CAD is $141 USD and if the $40 USD Scamp gasket doesn't fit then it's worth $0.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

California
Registry

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the heads up! It make it a little easier to pay out the dollars for that! Do you know for sure that it won't work? The windows look identical to the Scamps. Thanks again, Monte
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #6

I know nothing. You may be able to get gasket material from another source. I think the most important piece of information is the profile of the gasket. Somebody should be able to help with a source, because the topic has been covered here before. Or, you can search this site.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #7

California
Registry

Hi Glenn, I really do appreciate the help! I went out and measured the window and it cme out to 128 inches total. Scamp sell theirs in 12 foot sections. Am I missing something here? Seems like it would work. Thanks
Old 04-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
Hi Glenn, I really do appreciate the help! I went out and measured the window and it cme out to 128 inches total. Scamp sell theirs in 12 foot sections. Am I missing something here? Seems like it would work. Thanks

It's the shape of the gasket, looking at it end on. Were there profiles on the bolar.ca site?
Old 04-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #9

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Tail light

Princess Auto sells a 7” LED replacement unit, socket and all. Not sure but think the new lense will fit original mounting plate...
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #10

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
The price of the one linked to from the Boler.ca site includes the polycarbonate window as well as the gasket, thus the big difference in price. However, it is a US site that is selling the window/gasket so that $197 is indeed in USD, not Canadian. https://www.icondirect.com/boler-win...ocking-gasket/
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #11

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
The window gasket can be had at any automotive glass shop...even a NAPA should be able to get it. It was used in a lot of vehicles as windshield gasket.

https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extrusion/locking-gasket

Do yourself a favor...fork out for the install tool...worth its weight in gold!

Also...there's at least one video online where the guy installs the gasket backwards...lock bead goes on the outside.

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #12

California
Registry
Smile Getting parts for my 1982 Boler

Thanks so much for all the help! This Boler has been so much fun to work on! I have a Scamp Deluxe that's about 90 % restored and I can't seem to finish it because I would rather work on my Boler. I had to put the Boler into the garage and promise myself that I would finish the Deluxe before I go back to the Boler. All the best
Old 04-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #13

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
For your taillight replacement, you should seek out the taillights that are used on school busses. They are 7” (just make sure that they are stop/turn/tail lights) and LED (much brighter than the original lights) and they go in and don’t look out of place. Here in Canada they are available at Princess Auto but pretty well any auto supply store carries them but my first line of search would be a wrecking yard for large vehicles.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler
The Scamp cushions fit perfectly. I picked mine up from the factory on my way to Road America. I had to give them a few weeks notice that I was coming. I purchased foam and covers for all but the upper bunk. I just purchased the cover for that. Very nice people to deal with. I could not have purchased the foam in Canada for what I paid for the finished product from Scamp. I toured the facility, left the old cushions behind and threw in the new ones. Shipping is very expensive due to the size of the lower bunk cushion. I purchased some LED tail lights from Princess Auto in Canada. Harbour Freight probably has the same product. Very easy to install, BUT polarity must be correct when hooking up the wires. I've also replaced the furnace with one like Scamp uses and the fridge with a modern Dometic 3 way. Both of these installs required a 3"-4" trim piece as they are longer than the counter is deep. Last year I had Metro trailer in Winnipeg install one of their frames and axles. After having my frame crack twice, the piece of mind I have now was worth the money. The owners at Metro are meticulous about their product.
Jim Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #15

Almonte, Ontario
I did the same thing for my fridge except that I bumped the back out 1.5 inches and then did a front trim bump-out too. Only 1.5 inches inside and the exterior bump fits almost flush at the top under the bumper strip.
Name:   58569583771__031B77B6-B7EC-4DC4-A731-9B051124C24F.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  7.2 KB
Old 05-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #16

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Park View Post
The Scamp cushions fit perfectly. I picked mine up from the factory on my way to Road America. I had to give them a few weeks notice that I was coming. I purchased foam and covers for all but the upper bunk. I just purchased the cover for that. Very nice people to deal with. I could not have purchased the foam in Canada for what I paid for the finished product from Scamp. I toured the facility, left the old cushions behind and threw in the new ones. Shipping is very expensive due to the size of the lower bunk cushion. I purchased some LED tail lights from Princess Auto in Canada. Harbour Freight probably has the same product. Very easy to install, BUT polarity must be correct when hooking up the wires. I've also replaced the furnace with one like Scamp uses and the fridge with a modern Dometic 3 way. Both of these installs required a 3"-4" trim piece as they are longer than the counter is deep. Last year I had Metro trailer in Winnipeg install one of their frames and axles. After having my frame crack twice, the piece of mind I have now was worth the money. The owners at Metro are meticulous about their product.
Hey, Jim. Would you share the cost of the cushions? I'm going in that direction and could pick up a set.

Do they show the fabrics online? Any idea of foam density?

Thank you!
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler
The Scamp website should have up to date pricing and colour availability in their parts drop down. They are very friendly to talk to. I've had mine a few years and paid about $500 for a full set of covers and the foam cushions except for the top bunk as we use it as a shelf when camping. I had to remove it, very easy, to put the new cover on it. I doubt that you could buy that quality foam for the cost of the finished cushions. You have to order well in advance.
Jim Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:17 AM   #18

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Park View Post
The Scamp website should have up to date pricing and colour availability in their parts drop down. They are very friendly to talk to. I've had mine a few years and paid about $500 for a full set of covers and the foam cushions except for the top bunk as we use it as a shelf when camping. I had to remove it, very easy, to put the new cover on it. I doubt that you could buy that quality foam for the cost of the finished cushions. You have to order well in advance.
Thank you, Jim

I looked at the site but didn't see pricing.

I have an upholstery person. The density of the foam may be better which appeals to me.

They are very helpful people. I think it would great fun to see the factory.

Thanks so much.

I'll give them a call.
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp used to have prices, but with the increasing number of layouts and variations, it probably got too complicated. The price compares very favorably with custom work. The fabric is basic but sturdy and the workmanship excellent.

Their foam is quite firm. It’s good for sitting but some find it too firm for sleeping. Some have replaced the foam with a different grade (in one case a dual density sandwich). Others add a topper of some kind. I’m okay with it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #20

Almonte, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Princess Auto sells a 7” LED replacement unit, socket and all. Not sure but think the new lense will fit original mounting plate...

I did the taillight replacement and the new LED stop/turn/taillight replaces the whole old unit precisely. And what a difference they make. They look natural (you need to look twice since they look like they belong), they certainly let the tailgater know you applied the brakes and they are sealed unit so no dust build up.

Tags
boler