Glacier Natl Park - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
As for inside Glacier, there are no full hookup's. Though most of the campgrounds are nice

As for private, I suggest Mountain Meadow, full hookups, Between Hungry Horse and Coram. About 10 min from the west entrance. If you only want electric and water hook up, I suggest Glacier Campground which is less than a mile from the West entrance. Both have that campground experience.

Don't let the Big Rig picture on their website fool you. They are more of a campground though they have a few big rig sites.

Tell Sue, at Mountain Meadow, or Kathleen Hi at Glacier Campground Robin said Hi!

North American Rv Park is great for big rigs. And smaller rigs like it as well as it's open (that's if they don't care to be in the forest) but it's not a campground! It was designed as a big rig park so you won't find a lot of pine trees. Just ornamental trees. Though I haven't been there in a few years and they changed the configuration of the park since we owned it. Not sure if they moved the ornamental tree's or not.
A timely post for me, thanks Robin... I will be at Glacier in a few days. Mostly planning on rustic camping, but every few days I need to dump and fill tanks and recharge batteries, so the full service CG info is welcome. (I forgot my big CG directory at home, doggone it!)

Since I was planning to do both the west and east sides anyway, being unable to see those last couple of miles at the pass will just be a minor inconvenience. Looking forward to taking photos of some snow-covered mountain peaks, and blue lakes with white reflections!

Mike... currently in Moab
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A timely post for me, thanks Robin... I will be at Glacier in a few days. Mostly planning on rustic camping, but every few days I need to dump and fill tanks and recharge batteries, so the full service CG info is welcome. (I forgot my big CG directory at home, doggone it!)

Since I was planning to do both the west and east sides anyway, being unable to see those last couple of miles at the pass will just be a minor inconvenience. Looking forward to taking photos of some snow-covered mountain peaks, and blue lakes with white reflections!

Mike... currently in Moab

Oh good! Glad it was timely! Enjoy your trip! It's beautiful there. I would check prices of rustic (inside the park) against private cause last time I heard they weren't that far apart, price wise and people (on another camping forum) had an issue paying for nothing when they could stay outside of the park and have hookup's. Worth checking! For dumping and filling up I would do North American Rv Park, easy in easy out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Glacier is on my "Bucket List"
Ewwww, good bucket list choice in my opinion.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #23

Robin, thanks. I found NA RV's website. They are at $39.50 this year. Glacier is $29 w/e and $24 elec only. Apgar appears to be $15. I think NA is a little pricey for me, but Glacier seems pretty reasonable. I guess I'll have to see what the ambience is like between them and the park CGs... and how badly I want the amenities each day, of course! If it's really cold, the electric heater would be nice.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Robin, thanks. I found NA RV's website. They are at $39.50 this year. Glacier is $29 w/e and $24 elec only. Apgar appears to be $15. I think NA is a little pricey for me, but Glacier seems pretty reasonable. I guess I'll have to see what the ambience is like between them and the park CGs... and how badly I want the amenities each day, of course! If it's really cold, the electric heater would be nice.

Mike, most likely you will enjoy Glacier Campground as well as Mountain Meadow more. Remember NARV Park is a Big Rig Park. Probably not your cup of tea.

I was just suggesting NARV Park for dumping and filling (if you were choosing to stay in a place that didn't have any dumps or water spigot, such as some campgrounds around the canyon leading to Glacier, Hungry Horse for example.) Because NA is a Big Rig park its easy in , easy out............ for quick dump and fill...

Otherwise I suggest Glacier Campground or Mountain Meadow for egg camping!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #25

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Glacier NP headquarters just announced that The Going-to-the-Sun Road will be fully open on Wednesday July 13th! Hats off to the road plowing crews for all their hard work!
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #26

I have arrived at Glacier, and discovered that the price info I found on the net for Apgar was not up to date... it's actually $20. I've got a nice quiet woodsy site in Glacier CG. Much farther from roads than Apgar, it turns out. Pretty nice around here! And the mosquitos aren't too bad either, just a few of the little vampires.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I have arrived at Glacier, and discovered that the price info I found on the net for Apgar was not up to date... it's actually $20. I've got a nice quiet woodsy site in Glacier CG. Much farther from roads than Apgar, it turns out. Pretty nice around here! And the mosquitos aren't too bad either, just a few of the little vampires.
Please- Give us some pictures and weather info- thanx
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
For those interested, I'm back at Glacier (US) after a couple of days at Lake Louise in Canada, currently at St Mary Campground on the east side of Glacier (Site B85). On entering the park the gate ranger said the expected opening date of the Going to the Sun road is Wednesday. I'm here for 3 days - will post photos if it opens...

Here is one of Lake McDonald from last week:
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #29

Registry
The road did open today - I have a page of photos of the park at Glacier National Park, 2011

But here are a couple:
The Bathrooms at Logan Visitor Center (They are not open!)

Along the road

Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Looks like Global Warming has struck again (LOL)
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #31

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I read this morning that the road and the visitor center are open but NOT the restroom due to no water.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #32

The Sun Road is glorious. I also greatly enjoyed Many Glacier campground, where I spent Tuesday night. Would love to post photos, but don't have the necessary photo manipulation software on this laptop... need to downsize and edit from 3D to 2D for posting here. Got a great picture of a bighorn ram at Logan Visitor Center; I'll try to post it when I get home in about a week. For now I'm back in Colorado; my business meeting starts tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We were at the visstor center at Logan Pass on Monday the 18th,. I was a very busy place with the parking lot full to overflowing. The sheep were still around although I did not see them. The restrooms are still closed and the trip up is still one lane in several places due to road construction. What a magnificent view! It was well worth the trip.
We are off to Waterton Park today.
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #34

promised pics of Glacier NP

Ok, here are some photos as promised. Hope you like them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier deer.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	38101

Name:	Glacier cascade.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	38102

Name:	GlacierBighorn.jpg
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	38103

Name:	StMaryLake-Mike2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	38104
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #35

Registry
Very Nice!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #36

And four more pictures, which I took some liberties with in Photoshop. The last photo was shot with an infrared filter with the camera in B&W mode.

Name:	Glacier waterfall.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	38105

Name:	Glacier TwoMedicine.jpg
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	38106

Name:	Glacier SunRd Tunnel.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	38107

Name:	<a title=Escape vacation 2011- IR.jpg Views: 20 Size: 346.8 KB ID: 38108" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #37

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures, Mike! They are just breathtaking! We were there last year at this time and can't wait to go back again!
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #38

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Jon,
We were there the same day! How cool is that!
Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #39

Thank You for posting pic's! Love Glacier!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #40

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Was that last picture infrared? Looks like it. Done in camera or in computer?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote