Glacier Natl Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Glacier Natl Park

Going to glacier natl park in july, need advise on camping in that area please.
Also would like to go to a Banff and need advise on that area please.
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Camping information? Try here
RV Park? I haave no idea.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Glacier National park has several great campgrounds. Over the years we're stayed in several of them. My suggestion, stop at the first Ranger Station or Visitor Center to check on availability when you arrive or get online to the National Park Reservation system to do the same.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This is a great website for finding campgrounds, and reading what others have to say about their experience there. We stayed in Coram, MT when we went to Glacier NP, at North American RV. Here are the reviews for Coram and Banff.
RV Park Reviews :: Coram, Montana ( MT ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
RV Park Reviews :: Banff, Alberta ( AB ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
As for inside Glacier, there are no full hookup's. Though most of the campgrounds are nice

As for private, I suggest Mountain Meadow, full hookups, Between Hungry Horse and Coram. About 10 min from the west entrance. If you only want electric and water hook up, I suggest Glacier Campground which is less than a mile from the West entrance. Both have that campground experience.

Don't let the Big Rig picture on their website fool you. They are more of a campground though they have a few big rig sites.

Tell Sue, at Mountain Meadow, or Kathleen Hi at Glacier Campground Robin said Hi!

North American Rv Park is great for big rigs. And smaller rigs like it as well as it's open (that's if they don't care to be in the forest) but it's not a campground! It was designed as a big rig park so you won't find a lot of pine trees. Just ornamental trees. Though I haven't been there in a few years and they changed the configuration of the park since we owned it. Not sure if they moved the ornamental tree's or not.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Over on the Scamp forums this issue is being discussed with the result that with the heavy snows this year, some of the roads are still closed. Might need to put off another month.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Road to the Sun, the road that crosses the park is still closed the 3rd latest in it's history and not open yet. We'll be their in June/July 2012.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Why is the Glacier Topic closed?

Is there a reason that the topic was closed down?

I wanted to let the original poster (Daniel know that yes the Going to the Sun Road has not opened as of yet should be in the next week or two). But there are millions of other things to do in the park besides drive over the sun road. There is a million acres to the park, with ton's of things to see and do. Don't let the Sun Road delay detour your trip. Enjoy!

http://www.nps.gov/glac/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Glacier National Park - Directions (U.S. National Park Service)

Not sure which direction your arriving from but totally recommend a day discovering Flat Head Lake and Big Fork MT................ Wonderful!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Oops

I was the last poster and I am a moderator in training. I believe I accidently closed the Glacier Thread. I have reopened it.

Sorry but I'm learning after all I was able to re-open it.

Thanks for letting me know.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
merged threads
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #11

Thanks for re-opening it................
Old 07-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Daniel B... There's an Escaper in the park at the moment and you can follow him at 2011 Trip, Day 8 His photos are beautifull. Click on "Trip Index" to see each days progress!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #13

If your on FaceBook you can also follow Glacier National Park on there. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/GlacierNationalPark

Not sure if the link will work if your not on FB.........
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've heard everything from "The Going to the Sun Road isn't going to open at all this year" to "in a couple of weeks". What I can tell you is as of today (7/5/11) 16 miles of the road is open from the west side & 13 miles are open from the east. I was going to take a helicopter ride to shoot some photos of the plow work, but they wanted $455.00 for a half hour flight - a bit too rich for my blood. I'll have to stick with the park's photos: Glacier National Park's Flickr Plowing Photos.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, those pictures are awesome. It looks like it will be closed the rest of the year, after the road is open it's going to take a lot of man hours just to get the rest rooms access cleared. What about the campgrounds, I'm sure they are a swamp with all that snow melting.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #16

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
We were in Glacier the third week of July last year. We'll vouch for Mountain Meadow RV Park in Hungry Horse near West Glacier as being a great and convenient place to stay with hookups close to Glacier. It has more of a state park feel to it than RV park. If you don't need hookups and want to stay in Glacier NP the campgrounds there looked quite nice. Only two of the campground areas there allow reservations, the rest are first come first serve. if you go that route, just plan on getting there early in the day for a spot. We can't wait to go back. Yes, the Going to the Sun Road is incredibly awesome but Glacier has a multitude of other breathtaking sites as well. You will have an awesome trip!!
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'm in Apgar now; have been for the last couple of days. Nice & dry here. Lake McDonald is higher than I've seen it in the past, and all the area rivers are running strong, but most of the campgrounds in the park are open.

There is plenty of space (at least now) at Apgar - I'm in loop "A" & at least 1/2 the sites are available. Of course that will probably change on the weekends & later in the summer...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
2008 Glacier Visit

On July 2nd 2008 we were the first cyclists over the pass. It opened that morning. They did not have the water turned on in the bathrooms yet and it was cold. We did not linger.

Here I am hurrying with my food and clothes to fuel and dress warmer. I think 30 minutes was our visit after a 46 mile ride up that took just under five hours. You can guess that going down was a bit faster.
Attached Thumbnails
g53.jpg   g68.jpg  

Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I I was going to take a helicopter ride to shoot some photos of the plow work, but they wanted $455.00 for a half hour flight - a bit too rich for my blood. I'll have to stick with the park's photos: Glacier National Park's Flickr Plowing Photos.

Worth every penny! Promise! (though I completely understand it's a lot of money).

I was just speaking with the people who bought our Rv park last night. She said, rumors are that it could be some time in late July. But knowing where they have broke through too as of yesterday, I am gonna say 2 weeks tops! Lot of snow up there, but let me assure you, Glacier wants the snow outta there just as bad as anyone else. They are losing money as a park, every day that road isn't open.

They have now allowed the shuttle (free) to go as far as the turn around, so basically taking a shuttle from West Glacier up as far as it goes gets you almost all the way. Then of course from the east side you can go as far as the allow (which basically means your not missing a lot!) And if you account for the 25 mph and slower (due to traffic) you can reasonably see as much as possible with just a little more effort. Plus the travel on Hwy 2 across to the East Side is beautiful, great stops along the way such as Goat Lick and Essex MT. Essex, MT (ESM) — Great American Stations

Will also add that, for those who are considering a visit to Glacier. Fall is the best time of year to be there! No doubt about it! It's beautiful, less crowds, the fall color is amazing! (better than Colorado's if you ask me!) But services are much less available, so that is something to consider!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Glacier is on my "Bucket List"