God made the people ... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2003, 10:08 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Benny K

Howdy...Am I the only one that notices how the world is changing and more and more people only care about their own pleasure and the heck with everyone else. I hope I`m just not getting old and crabby or do others see it the same way???? Benny
Benny,

It's not just you. The people growing up today just don't learn consideration for others (or as Robert said, respect for other's space).

The jerk who parks at the red curb in front of the supermarket because (s)he's in a hurry is the epitome.

I noticed that it was much less marked in Canada when I lived there for three years.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:21 AM   #22

We make an absolute rule that not only do we leave the site cleaner than we found it, we leave it as clean as we can get it. Every year, I take our church youth group camping overnight on an island in a local lake. Probably 4 acres or so. When we arrive, task #1 -- grab a trash bag and scour the island for trash. When we leave, the final task is -- repeat task #1.

We keep a box of cheap sandwich bags in the camper. Anytime we take the dog out, we grab a bag and stuff it in our pocket. These make handy little "gloves" for a small breed. Put your hand in the bag, pick up the present, then turn the bag inside out as you withdraw your hand. Tie it off and toss it in the dumpster.

Old 07-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #23

Trash troubles

:wave
You've made some excellent points about consideration, (Or lack thereof) in previous messages. When Rosemary and I were outfitting our first Trillium 13, we found a child's size set of rake and shovel. The handles are about 36" long. We bought a rake and two of the shovels, and bent the working end of one of them 90 degrees to the handle, which makes an excellent scoop for gooey things you don't want to lay a hand on. We keep these tools tied to the trailer hitch behind our propane bottles with a couple of bungie cords. They are valuable in cleaning up, but don't take much space. Cost?
maybe 12.00 CDN
CHEERS:cblob

Old 07-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #24

One of my best friends lives full time at a local RV park / campground on an Indian Reservation here in So. Cal.

We spend a lot of time sitting out on his porch and watch the “campers” do just about every thing mentioned in this thread. I especially like the folks that will attack a 20 inch green oak branch with a 4 ounce dull hatchet. You have to wonder.

One thing that still amazes me is the people that believe no rules apply once they leave their driveway.

I have seen “normal” people send their kids out to steal wood from other campers. Would they send their kids down to the local market to steal at home – I am thinking no. We watched one group wait until their neighbors went on a hike. They then had their kids descend on the camp and remove everything burnable within sight. Within 5 minutes they had removed all the wood including the fire poker.

One evening we watched a group of young men relieve themselves repeatedly in full view of the rest of the world. They were drinking a lot of beer and as the night went on it became unbearable, and we had to call Tribal Security to stop this indecency. They were less than 50 feet from a public restroom.

As a long time tent camper I have always carried a pair of rakes and a shovel with me to prepare the tent site. Some years back we began the practice of raking the entire campsite when we arrived and again just before we leave. We didn’t want to see the trash so we clean it up before we setup, and to assure we have left no sign we were there we clean before we leave. It has become a ritual over the years, and we still do it even though we have moved from tent camping to Casita.

Some sites have been so nasty we have even gone so far as to hose down the picnic table area with a water hose and high pressure nozzle if a hose bib is within the length of our hose. Leave for a hike, and within a couple of hours everything has dried and we have a nice clean table with no decaying food (or spiders) under the table area.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:39 PM   #25

Hi,
We live in a rural area on a river. People come here to fish all the time...never ask. We are happy if they enjoy it, but unhappy if they trash the place. Which they do. All the time. One day, Steve went down to get the mail. A car drove by, window rolled down, out came a grocery bag full of trash and landed right at his feet, bottles and cans rolling out in our driveway. So Steve picked it all up and put it in his truck. The guy in the car speeding away slammed on his brakes backed up and said to Steve, "I left my nightcrawlers in that bag. Can I have them back?" I don't think so! The strange thing about it is that they don't seem to realize they want to go someplace because it's pretty and then they make it ugly. Go figure.

Old 07-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #26

slobs and other bummers

Donna and I had two sites we went to once or twice a year, the first was about an hours drive from home, down some abandoned roads and through an old logging trail. This was tent camping territory, we used to go there every 2-3 weeks in the summer, waterfall,lake and river. What a gorgeous spot. The last time we went, about 6 years ago, some enterprising camper had topped the 4 best shade trees to tie a tarp to to make a fly for his tent. The area was trashed and full of trash. We never went back.
The second site again had a waterfall. but had a fairly good road to it.
over the years a stone fireplace had been built, a reasonable out house, and a firepit, and bit of a wood pile area.
I enjoyed this site before I met Donna and was thrilled to be able to take her there. We had a lot of fun times there.Our last trip was indeed our last.
The fireplace was knocked down, the outhouse overturned and burned, and garbage and broken glass everywhere. I just don't understand the need for people to leave a lasting mark of their disregard and carelessness behind.
two beautiful pristine spots ruined for a few minutes fun, unbelievable

Old 07-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #27

God knows who you are.

I was fishing near an island on the eastern end of Lake Vermilion in Minnesota last week and was shocked when a family with several rowdy brats landed and proceeded to set off fireworks. It was not just the mess created by the fireworks that upset me but the fact that they did it under a tree with a large eagle's nest where I have watched a pair of Bald Eagles rear young ones for many years. I wanted to get the number off of that boat but when I approached it took off. These thoughtless people had full knowledge that what they were doing was wrong and probably illegal. I just hope that the eagles are forgiving and return next year.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:07 AM   #28

Only God knows why you do it

We have a 'permanent campsite' in West Virginia. About 5 acres that backs up to the National Forest. Approximately 400 feet of state road frontage. The joke is: What do you call West Virginia recycling? Roll down the window and heave! We've found bottles that still have soda and fizz in them! Every time we do a sweep of the state road I'm amazed at what people can't have in their car a second longer - HEAVE! Not to mention clothing items - pants, shoes, shirts, What's going on here!?! :E

Old 07-21-2003, 08:11 AM   #29

Only God Knows

I can wear shoes or boots - my dogs go barefoot. I've tried to camp in plenty of places that have so much broken glass, we can't stay because the clean up would take so long and my dogs are still in the truck!! And why do we have to throw bottles into the fire pit? What's with that? Is it something you saw in a movie or TV? It's hard to recycle glass when it's already broken :sad