Going to the other side - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #41

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I was camped next to a Taylor trailer a couple of years ago in Florida. I thought for a sticky it was a very nice looking trailer. The owners were pulling it with a Subaru Forester.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #42

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I certainly can relate to your situation, Steve. I chose a $10K stickie vs spending about $17K-$18K for a similarly equipped new egg. I figured if it developed leaks and got bad in ten years, I'd probably still find a buyer for $2k-$3k and not be out too much. Depreciation in those same few years on the egg would have been $6k-$7k most likely, Not a lot of difference financially. Yeah, you don't lose the whole amount even if it 'falls apart', because there's always someone willing to pay some amount for it in hopes of fixing it up.

Similar experience in just the past few weeks on shopping with Snoozy for an empty shell. Started by calling them a month ago and no one called me back. Tried emailing with Alan, he at first would answer promptly but leave out a few answer's I'd wanted. When I emailed back, I'd get a a bit more info but felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, and his replies slowed, then stopped. I almost gave up, but finally this week I was able to reach him on the phone and we hammered out ALL the details to my satisfaction. So it looks like I'll be popping a check in the mail shortly for a down payment on a unit (to be used for hauling cargo).

I am surprised to hear that Scamp was hard to communicate with. A few years ago (3-4?) I contacted them with questions and a salesman called me back, and that person followed up with emails too. They seemed engaged and eager. Maybe they lost the salesman. I think that people who are good at building trailers are not necessarily good at selling, so if they are busy they may feel like they're doing all they can even when it's not enough. Eventually they'll have to correct this, or their business likely will begin to decline. There's plenty of competition out there, and mfrs (even busy, successful ones) must keep up.... or be left behind in the dust.

Steve, even though I enjoy my stickie, I still look at those eggs. Would still prefer a molded unit (I worry about those seams, doggone it!) but I hesitate to take on a bigger payment. I guess you have to ask yourself if a stickie will give you somewhat permanent satisfaction trailer-wise, or if you will still be filled with longing for an egg. Only you can answer that.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I came across "Taylor Coach" made in Canada and if there is a worthy stick trailer, it might be it. It is the only smaller stick trailer that seemed to customize and I don't think they even have a "standard" anything but build to suit the customer, a very rare thing. I think it is most important that a person get a "fit" for them and most of us have a price/value point. I cannot imagine that compromises aren't always made in a selection. We have yet to find the "perfect" unit, the "perfect" anything.
I was thinking about buying a stick. But after going to some local RV shows, it was obvious they were built like many trailer houses. Stick and staple, stick and staple. The big thing trailer houses and stick trailers have is floor plan. But I have to have more than price. I have to have equivalent value. If I were to buy a stick, it would have been the Taylor. Customer input and about as much quality as you can get from a stick. Taylor does a good job.

But..............FG is in a league it's own. I wanted an orange, so I quit looking at apples. Now I have a hard shell egg to match it's hard shell owner.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #44

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
How long are you planning on living and RVing? The stick builts have a much faster depreciation and shorter life. Keep an eye on the fiberglass for sale web sites. Someone somewhere will buy a new one you like then find they have to liquidate it. You get what you pay for.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
There are a very limited number of fiberglass trailer manufacturers that build a trailer larger than 17 ft (Escape , Big Foot , an maybe Oliver) and they come at a premium price. I find the 13ft or 16 ft fiberglass trailers just a little small for doing extended travel (Kudos to Norm & Ginny) and was trying to go slightly larger 19 to 21 ft . I do not want a huge 5th wheeler or a motor home or anything in the 25 to ??? class . Neither do I wish to sink my life's savings in a travel trailer, which I consider a luxury in life not a necessity. Mr Raz I am not a fan of Escape: in fact I have never seen one but if one wants something slightly larger than a small egg what choice do you have.?
Besides Escape is the bargain of the three. Sometimes I think that the lack of competition in the fiberglass trailer market has stifled innovation . When is the last time Scamp has done anything to update their trailer? I do not believe that the stick builts are the answer to my dilemma but at least they offer choices that fiberglass trailers refuse to offer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Mr Raz I am not a fan of Escape: in fact I have never seen one
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #47

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
There are a very limited number of fiberglass trailer manufacturers that build a trailer larger than 17 ft (Escape , Big Foot , an maybe Oliver) and they come at a premium price. I find the 13ft or 16 ft fiberglass trailers just a little small for doing extended travel (Kudos to Norm & Ginny) and was trying to go slightly larger 19 to 21 ft . I do not want a huge 5th wheeler or a motor home or anything in the 25 to ??? class . Neither do I wish to sink my life's savings in a travel trailer, which I consider a luxury in life not a necessity.

I think you're very sensible, Steve...and have a good sense of perspective. It is, after all, just a toy, right? And as such, it should be maximally enjoyable!

You surely can get the inside amenities you want and more room with a conventionally constructed trailer. (All of which are not created equal, of course. There are some brands built better than others, as I've come to learn by participating in other RV forums not dedicated to a single construction method.)

And if you're concerned about the longevity of whatever you buy, my suggestion is a freestanding carport for protection from the elements when it's not being used. You'll have enough money left over to do that, and more!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #48

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
There are a very limited number of fiberglass trailer manufacturers that build a trailer larger than 17 ft (Escape , Big Foot , an maybe Oliver) and they come at a premium price. I find the 13ft or 16 ft fiberglass trailers just a little small for doing extended travel (Kudos to Norm & Ginny) and was trying to go slightly larger 19 to 21 ft . I do not want a huge 5th wheeler or a motor home or anything in the 25 to ??? class . Neither do I wish to sink my life's savings in a travel trailer, which I consider a luxury in life not a necessity. Mr Raz I am not a fan of Escape: in fact I have never seen one but if one wants something slightly larger than a small egg what choice do you have.?
Besides Escape is the bargain of the three. Sometimes I think that the lack of competition in the fiberglass trailer market has stifled innovation . When is the last time Scamp has done anything to update their trailer? I do not believe that the stick builts are the answer to my dilemma but at least they offer choices that fiberglass trailers refuse to offer
For some reason these statements remind of a cartoon that may have been posted on this site. The first frame showed a small trailer crammed with stuff and caption we need a bigger trailer, the frame a bigger trailer crammed with stuff and the same caption, one more frame with a huge trailer crammed with stuff.
The moral of the story stuff will expand to fill the available space.

Anne and I travel extensively up to 3 months at a time in our little 13' Scamp. We feel anything bigger would be a waste. What we have vs what we feel is needed.
A place to sit and table.
A place to sleep big enough that our sleeping bags and the two us will fit on with space to spare(not much to spare).
A stove cook on.
A refrigerator to keep a limited amount of food cool and safe.
Space for nonperishable food.
Space to keep about a weeks worth of clothes.
Some fresh water.
A place for sink water drain to.
A furnace to warm up the trailer on those cold nights (below 50°F)
A bit of light
A place for a few extras. It's the extras that'll get you into trouble.

Gee whiz the above list is what we have and what we need and then some.

The outdoor stuff like chairs, shade, etc. reside in the back of the pickup along with a couple weeks worth of clothing.

I can see no reason to have a larger trailer.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
See Mr Raz's post top of page #4
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

I can see no reason to have a larger trailer.
Even the reason that what works for you and Ann doesn't work for Steve and his wife?

Francesca
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #51

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Stick Built.

Leaking in a stick built trailer is not simply a matter of years owned.

If you travel a lot, if you drive rough roads, a stick built will respond to the twists of motion by twisting seams and will eventually leak.

The worse part is that leaking seams quickly lead to rotting wood.

Admittedly it's a trade off of space and price and time.

As to the failure of manufacturers to innovate, there has basically been little since the Boler came along.... Where are the Bonair Oxygen people?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I can't find an emoticon for "now, I'm even more confused".
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #53

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Camplite

I read a couple of recommendations for a Camplite. We considered a Camplite and found them none too 'lite'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I can't find an emoticon for "now, I'm even more confused".
Hi: Glenn Baglo... This topic isn't confusing to me. There's always someone who can make something that sells cheaper, and those who buy on price alone are that someones lawful prey!!!
We know why we own Escape trailers...others don't!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #55

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have had the 8 stick-built and I think the leaking and rotting are being over-stated. In the units that we cared for, the new ones we bought, we did not have that issue. We lived full-time in a $10,000 Forest River for two years, no leaking or rotting wood except on a window that they did not properly seal in the first place which was repaired under warranty. Would I buy another? No, not for the longer term but this unit served its purpose well. We had a 1976 Minnie Winnie which we bought in 1989 and ran it all over the US until it just couldn't take the long trips so it was probably 20 years old when it found a new home. Keep in mind that many 30 year old stick-built are still on the road also since most everything used to be made to last and expected to last. I have seen the amount of renovation on these older trailers both stick and fiberglass. The biggest issue is that the majority of people don't do the necessary maintenance to keep a unit up and the fiberglass trailer will require less. Entry level stick-built are basically junk but still have their purpose. I am glad to hear positive comments about Taylor Coach as the man in the video clips seems like a decent guy not shifty.

Also, beware the rating of rv.org, do your own research since I had the opportunity to watch a rating in action.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Mr Raz I am not a fan of Escape: in fact I have never seen one but if one wants something slightly larger than a small egg what choice do you have.?
Dad was Mr. Raz. I'm just Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #57

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I gotta agree with Steve in his original post.

In sticky's you can get a lot more trailer for the money, at least at initial purchase.

Our kids wanted a trailer big enough to sleep at least 6-8 that they could pull with a Surburban. We bought them a 17' Coleman Hybrid by Dutchman and, with both beds tipped out it sleeps up to 5 on the beds and 4 more on a couch & dinette. It came with a double door refrigerator, a huge bathroom with separate shower, heat, a/c, a stereo radio/CD/DVD player, a power awning, stove w/oven and out side accessible storage from side to side in front. And the dealer threw in a Hang-on BBQ.

All that for $14k and change.

Yep, in a few years it might be a lot worse for wear that an FGRV, but it will stay big long enough until the last of the Grandkids are tired of camping.

Different strokes for different folks I guess..... and what 17' (or any length for that matter) FGRV can sleep that many.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #58

NE Oklahoma
I think I could manage 3 on the queen bed,
2 on the couch, 1 in the floor, and 3 under the bed with the spare.

But all that tossing and turning and snoring?............
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I think I could manage 3 on the queen bed,
2 on the couch, 1 in the floor, and 3 under the bed with the spare.
Throwback to your college days, Carl?

Francesca
Old 04-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #60

NE Oklahoma
Well........back to when they called me "bean pole."