Going to the other side - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #81

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Still what kind of options do you need that cost $6000. Your going camping after all.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #82

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
So tell us what your home is made of and the premium paid for a non wood framed construction. I think it is worth it. I too favor non conventional construction methods and am willing to pay the price.. but feel that I am in the minority. I have a SIP built house but no-one I know seems willing to pay the slight premium to build same to ensure the ongoing energy savings. Right now I'm laughing at the naysayers.
Perhaps you should move to Florida where concrete block construction and terrazzo floors are the norm. There's whole developments in New Mexico where the houses are constructed partially underground to save energy. But unfortunately builders go with what's cheapest and you and I live too close to lumber country.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #83

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Wrong trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Wow what kind of mods is your wife wanting? I was at Scamp last fall and they sound like they will mod to customers specs. Not sure where you got your pricing but the 19' Scamp in the paperwork I got says $14495 for the Standard, $16695 for the Option Package and $20795 for the Deluxe Wood model. What mods does your wife insist on having the would raise the price to over $30000? Your only going camping, your not putting your house on wheels and taking everything you own with you.
Escape with options= $29330.00 NEVER GOT A PRICE FROM SCAMP
SIX WEEKS AND STILL WAITING
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #84

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Escape with options= $29330.00 NEVER GOT A PRICE FROM SCAMP
SIX WEEKS AND STILL WAITING
Buy the stick built trailer.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #85

Steve: Did they send you the brochures with the prices and options priced out? I found those very helpful. And, I went after your original post and added up the options to make a 19' Escape my ideal unit and I came in at about the same figure you did. And, yes, I could scale back on the options but then I'd end up still paying quite a bite and not getting everything I wanted. We looked at tow vehicle possibilities and became pale. My dream unit was always the Prevost so if I win the lottery..............Oh, that's right, I'm a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush person so I don't play the lottery.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #86

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Price

If you can afford it and want it, buy the most expensive, optioned rig you want.

To me the singular purpose of the trailer is to allow me to travel in reasonable comfort. I choose to buy used and have spent less than $10,000 for our trailer including all mods.

The extra $20,000 for a bigger, more finished, more prestige-ish Escapee 19 or Airstream Bambi in some measure to this retired soul means less money for time on the road.

To me $20,000 is 6 or 7 two month trips to Newfoundland. Choices, choices, choices.

As to Snoozy or Escape Innovation, I'm not impressed. Some manufacuter nees to hire a creative soul to re-conceive trailer layout.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #87

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

The extra $20,000 for a bigger, more finished, more prestige-ish Escapee 19 or Airstream Bambi in some measure to this retired soul means less money for time on the road.
Actually Norm a new 19' Airstream Bambi would set you back another $30,000 on top of the Escape.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #88

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some may not care for the techniques used by most FGRV builders, but remember, it is "just a shell", and not like a boat hull that has to take a continuous beating when being used. I can't recall seeing one that developed more than slight stress cracks after more than 40 years of use, a far cry better than having the entire interior framing dissolve from hidden water damage, as it seen in many a sticky.

My local RV dealer, one who sold over 600 RV's in the past year, has, over the past few years, tried to get Scamp, Trillium and several other FGRV mfg's to take on dealerships. The primary reason they don't is that there just isn't enough margin in FGRV's that there is in mass produced sticky's, such as those built by Dutchman under a half a dozen different names.

The market for the smaller trailers is still very, very limited, maybe 2% of the total sold, and that number may be high. As a result, we see small trailer builders, both FGRV and sticky come and go on almost a daily basis.

As long as FGRV's are in limited production the margins will be smaller and prices will be higher, it's a basic law of manufacturing.

Remember yesterdays posting of a new teardrop at a dealership for $10,000?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #89

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

The extra $20,000 for a bigger, more finished, more prestige-ish Escapee 19 .

There's a "snob factor"? I didn't realize that...but I s'pose it could account for at least part of the price differential.

Where does the comparable-to-Escape in type/price/interior finish but perhaps better insulated Bigfoot fall in this hierarchy?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #90

HA!!! That's easy, Everyone knows that BigFoots are the "Cream of the Crop" and that cream always rises to the top. Not that I am prejudiced.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #91

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think some of the Bigfoots models are great. As far as cream always rises to the top.... THIT floats too Often folks are sucked in by bling when comparing trailers. It really is about "personal" functionality and needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #92

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

There's a "snob factor"? I didn't realize that...but I s'pose it could account for at least part of the price differential.

Where does the comparable-to-Escape in type/price/interior finish but perhaps better insulated Bigfoot fall in this hierarchy?

Francesca
LOL if there is a snob factor to owning an Escape then I guess we have a heck of a lot of friendly snobs on this forum.

The Escape and Bigfoot are IMO very much two very different trailers. Just as Escape and an Airstream are.

Bigfoot goes to the top in width, weight and finishes and has a price to go with it. While Escape seems to be trying to offer a nice well made trailer but still keeping the weight down and affordable. For example they haven't built a trailer as wide (although some would like them to) as Bigfoots has as they are wanting their trailers to be affordable to more people in regards to towability. Going wider means for most it would be wider than the tug resulting in lower mpg & a heavier trailer. Bigfoot on the other hand is the #1 choose with most outdoorsmen in these parts - most of whom pull them with REALLY big trucks and most are not overly concerned with the MPG's they get while towing as the average Escape buyer is. Each has a market share they are building to.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #93

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think some of the Bigfoots models are great. As far as cream always rises to the top.... THIT floats too .

LOL well it seems many of them will float. There was an older Boler at one our meets that had floated a few miles down the road after the property it was stored on flooded. It survived.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #94

Thank You Donna

But "Floats" does not equal "Rises to the Top" (LOLOLOL)
Actually I like the basic shell design and construction of the BigFoot(s), esp the 5th wheel versions.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #95

hahahaha, got ya Bob. And yes, when I mentioned layouts... it was the Bigfoot 5th wheel that I was talking about. Bigfoot has it over the egg shaped trailers because the walls being vertical, it looks a lot more spacious (along with being wider).
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #96

In all fairness, take a look at some of the 30 year old FG trailers being renovated noting the original condition of the unit on the forum. I seen rotted floors and saw once a photo of the A/C unit sunk in on the roof on FG. I saw a youtube video on an 1989 Taylor Coach in remarkable condition that the guy traded in for a new one. The unit is made of molded fiberglass, not titanium.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #97

I don't know anything about the Taylor Coach, but looks like they use 13" tires on the 24' trailer... oh my: Taylor Coach - Specifications and check out what's standard vs optional.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #98

Lil' BigFoot Shape

Ya But(t)
Our 1994 13' Lil' BigFoot IS egg shaped. But I like the single axle BigFoot 5er's even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
hahahaha, got ya Bob. And yes, when I mentioned layouts... it was the Bigfoot 5th wheel that I was talking about. Bigfoot has it over the egg shaped trailers because the walls being vertical, it looks a lot more spacious (along with being wider).

Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #99

The Never Ending Story

When sticky's can be stored inside all of their life they usually survive to a ripe old age.

Owners that ignored that MFRV out in the pasture for 10 or so years deserve a window or hatch leak that leads to floor damage. On the other hand, a sticky treated the same way becomes a pile of mush.

My Hunter Compact II is 40 this year and had no water damage save a few stains near the refrigerator vents, and it still has the original pop-up fabric.

And what % of 1973 stickys are still in use ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
In all fairness, take a look at some of the 30 year old FG trailers being renovated noting the original condition of the unit on the forum. I seen rotted floors and saw once a photo of the A/C unit sunk in on the roof on FG. I saw a youtube video on an 1989 Taylor Coach in remarkable condition that the guy traded in for a new one. The unit is made of molded fiberglass, not titanium.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #100

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Steve,

I assume you have decided against a Scamp. It would have saved you a lot of bother had you just driven the 150 miles for a day outing to have all your questions answered and see the options available. I'm guessing you want things Scamp can not provide.

Enjoy whatever you find and be sure to remain active with us here, and show us what you get.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote