Going to the other side - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Going to the other side

Over the last 3 weeks I have exchanged over 75 E-Mails and over 10 phone calls in an attempt to buy a new trailer from Scamp or Casita . I admit defeat , I do not have the patience to deal with them any more . I was actually told to go to Escape because they have the time to waste making changes or modifications . My wife and I like the Escape 19 but with the options my wife desires the cost is over $30,000,00 (Base Price =$24,000.00) and out of our price range . We would rather buy fiberglass but we can buy a stick built with twice the features for half the cost. We do not want to but we are forced to go to the other side.
I am just trying to vent my frustration with businesses who could care less about their customers Must be nice to be able to turn away business in a bad economy

Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, hold your horses!!! With the Escape 21' coming on the market very soon I suspect you will start to see more used 19's hit the market. For the longest time the 17' was hard to find used ... that was until the 19' came along and *a lot* of people traded up -even a number of 17's that were only a year or so old got the trade up. Suspect the same will happen with the 19'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
steve look at lil snoozy click on these links HOME and http://www.lilsnoozy.com/ base price around 17000
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

NW Wisconsin
New Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve, hold your horses!!! With the Escape 21' coming on the market very soon I suspect you will start to see more used 19's hit the market. For the longest time the 17' was hard to find used ... that was until the 19' came along and *a lot* of people traded up -even a number of 17's that were only a year or so old got the trade up. Suspect the same will happen with the 19'.
Thank you Carol but after years of used trucks & cars and fixing our used Scamp , my wife and I have decided on buying new this time . Casita has an option for installing added 120 VAC receptacle so I ordered a trailer with 2 additional outlets at a cost of $158.00 only to discover that they get to choose where the additional optional outlets are placed not me ??? . I looked at a 2014 19 ft stick built trailer with 8.0 cu ft refrigerator ,oven , AC, stereo,
slide out, Queen size bed ,TV rear storage rack dual axle etc etc Price under $15000.00 delivered and with filled propane tanks . If it falls apart in 5 years am I really out that much money compared to a $30.000 Escape
Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wow Steve, that sucks. Personally, I will never buy a stick built trailer, they have too much cross sectional area, and since We like to drive long distances, the gas consumption would kill me.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thank you Carol but after years of used trucks & cars and fixing our used Scamp , my wife and I have decided on buying new this time . Casita has an option for installing added 120 VAC receptacle so I ordered a trailer with 2 additional outlets at a cost of $158.00 only to discover that they get to choose where the additional optional outlets are placed not me ??? . I looked at a 2014 19 ft stick built trailer with 8.0 cu ft refrigerator ,oven , AC, stereo,
slide out, Queen size bed ,TV rear storage rack dual axle etc etc Price under $15000.00 delivered and with filled propane tanks . If it falls apart in 5 years am I really out that much money compared to a $30.000 Escape

Steve, I say this all the time when giving tours of our 13' Scamp, "These little trailers aren't for everybody." It sounds like that's the case for you and your wife.
As far as Scamp goes, I had no problems dealing with them to get almost exactly what I wanted. Very few changes have been made and very few factory changes would I want differently. I do however see far more stick built trailers in our travels than fiberglass. I think mostly because everybody seems think bigger is better and more goodies are better, that's ok if that's what makes you happy. Those who embrace the small trailer think the opposite, smaller is better, and fewer goodies makes life easier.
I hope you find what pleases you and don't let the nay sayers bother you. We all have different views and different ideas on what we would like. Good luck in you adventure.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
...Price under $15000.00 delivered and with filled propane tanks . If it falls apart in 5 years am I really out that much money compared to a $30.000 Escape...
Well, you'd be out nearly $15,000. That's more than I would want to just lose. It is a real wizzer that some companys will not work with you to really give you what YOU want. There are those out there that will, obviously Escape, as you have discovered, and I can attest to Oliver's attention to the owner's every wish. Never having dealt with anyone else, I can't speak for the customer service from any other company. Unfortunately, this custom service does come at a price, sometimes more than one is willing or able to pay. I hate to have to admit to the fact that usually "you get what you pay for" or maybe it should be "you have to pay for what you get."
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I feel your frustration, it's like they haven't moved with the times. The placement of the 2 outlets decided by them is ridiculous. We are back in the days when you could buy your car any colour you wanted as long as it was black!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Steve, I say this all the time when giving tours of our 13' Scamp, "These little trailers aren't for everybody." It sounds like that's the case for you and your wife.
As far as Scamp goes, I had no problems dealing with them to get almost exactly what I wanted. Very few changes have been made and very few factory changes would I want differently. I do however see far more stick built trailers in our travels than fiberglass. I think mostly because everybody seems think bigger is better and more goodies are better, that's ok if that's what makes you happy. Those who embrace the small trailer think the opposite, smaller is better, and fewer goodies makes life easier.
I hope you find what pleases you and don't let the nay sayers bother you. We all have different views and different ideas on what we would like. Good luck in you adventure.
Byron over 4 weeks ago I sent an E- Mail to Scamp asking for a price on a Scamp Deluxe. I waited a week NO answer so I called them and was told to resend the E-Mail which I did. Again another week passes NO quote Again I call and 3 days later I receive my quote only it's missing half the options I requested. Again I contact Scamp and they assure me they will correct the quote, 3 days later they E-Mail me a quote "The same Quote with the same options missing". Again I contact them and again I wait and again I get a quote with the same options missing. Now I call and E- Mail Kent Eveland and his son Micah . Micah answers my E- Mail and says he will resolve the problem . 10 days later NOTHING I gave up I think i was more than diligent . I like my Scamp 16 but the bed at 44" is too small , I do Not want a huge stick built trailer if I did I would not have bought the Scamp
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I know I can live with your decision.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Byron over 4 weeks ago I sent an E- Mail to Scamp asking for a price on a Scamp Deluxe. I waited a week NO answer so I called them and was told to resend the E-Mail which I did. Again another week passes NO quote Again I call and 3 days later I receive my quote only it's missing half the options I requested. Again I contact Scamp and they assure me they will correct the quote, 3 days later they E-Mail me a quote "The same Quote with the same options missing". Again I contact them and again I wait and again I get a quote with the same options missing. Now I call and E- Mail Kent Eveland and his son Micah . Micah answers my E- Mail and says he will resolve the problem . 10 days later NOTHING I gave up I think i was more than diligent . I like my Scamp 16 but the bed at 44" is too small , I do Not want a huge stick built trailer if I did I would not have bought the Scamp
When I ordered my 13' I had to do it all by phone a snail mail. Scamp didn't have email. I think they're much more equipped to do things via phone than e-mail. If you're still interested in a Scamp call and asked for their information packet including price list for options. That's what I did, once I had the standard options all listed I called and talked to Wayne and him and I had several conversations to solidify the options I wanted. I got exactly what I ordered. It will take a few months to get a trailer.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
steve look at lil snoozy click on these links HOME and Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites base price around 17000
X2 to what BAMA said.

It's worth a look.

Some have ordered just the shell and finished them out themselves.
Alan Smoake will deal with the customer any way they like.

I can understand the temptation to a stick trailer. Millions of them out there, upfront cost is cheap, and they have financing. 'Course there is a reason for all three. lol.

I just got a Snoozy and haven't had time to post the pics I took today.

And there is a 2012 for sale with all options at the less than base price.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I like my Scamp 16 but the bed at 44" is too small , I do Not want a huge stick built trailer if I did I would not have bought the Scamp
If it is a big bed that you want, then maybe check out the new Trillium 4500. Tom Young, (the owner) tells me that they sacrificed on the width of the front dinette to make the bed a full sized queen. No bathroom though.

Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I understand your frustration and have often said all molded trailers aren't for everyone. But did you see this on the Escape Trailer website?

2013, 19’ Escape, $27,392.00.
Includes all of our2013 Standard Features as well as the following options; Air Conditioning,Additional Window Over Sink, Bike Rack Ready, Dual 6V Batteries, ExteriorStorage Box, Microwave, Opening Window in Bathroom, Stereo, 2 Captains ReadingLights over the Bed, Thermal Windows with Extra Insulation. This trailer hasbeen pre wired for Solar and has Spectra Red Graphics. This trailer isavailable for viewing at Escape Trailer Industries during normal business hours.

And then there's this:
May - One Trailer to Elkton, Maryland, One Trailer to Ottawa, ON, - Delivery Date Approx 24. Please note there is room for ONE more trailer on this truck.

Good luck in your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #15

NW Wisconsin
The Escape 19 has the features we desire ,a full size or larger bed , bath shower toilet, black & grey water tanks ,propane & electric , 4.0 cu ft or larger refrigerator , microwave , gas / electric water heater, AC large enough to actually cool the trailer , gas cooking appliances, propane furnace , storage, 14" or larger tires etc but not at a price of $30.000 There is not much available in a fiberglass travel trailers larger than 16 ft and at an affordable cost unfortunately they are available aplenty in stick built . THUS MY DILEMMA Enough said
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
OMG The new Trillium is amazing!!!!!! Looks like they are listening to customer needs.
The Lil Snoozy is a fantastic design at a great price and USA.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's ColoRockiesFan Snoozy for sale.
Lisa has lowered her price.

Topic: Selling my Lil Snoozy $18,500 OBO

There are pictures linked to the site.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Steve: We can sympathize since we are in the same position but, we have owned 8 RVs (4 pop-ups, 1 - 5th wheel, 1 - micro-mini, 1 - Class C and a 24' travel trailer) and know what issues are involved. Yes, we are tempted to just buy the stick and even picked up a new pop-up last summer but knew that we could sell it easily when we decide/find the fiberglass unit of our dreams. I am not sure what manufacturers you are looking at but if you'll let me know, I can tell you what experiences I have seen or heard about. Personally, I was very attracted to the Camplite but each hail storm that comes through changes my mind. Used is not such a bad idea as you might think with a trailer though. Water damage and offensive smells are the deal breakers for us on used. The only new units we bought were 2 of the pop-ups and the travel trailer with the rest being used, some very used. Have you noticed the prices on the used fiberglass units versus the stick units? So, I understand what you are going through and the above is the arguments that I give myself. I want something that will hold up and has good quality control so "stuff" isn't leaking and falling off from the get-go. Nothing can sour me quicker than something that has continual problems from the beginning. Good luck in your decision.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Here's ColoRockiesFan Snoozy for sale.
Lisa has lowered her price.

Topic: Selling my Lil Snoozy $18,500 OBO

There are pictures linked to the site.
Interesting that she is selling it to buy an Escape which is what Steve wants
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Chuckle

I get a chuckle over all the trailer swapping. The magic of Fiberglass trailers is that they can virtually last forever. Ours is now 22 years old and works great.

Actually as far as I can tell just about any of the brands would meet our needs yet none of them appear to come in a condition that would meet our extended travel needs. All need some measure of additions, not for structural reasons, but rather for function and convenience whether you're a long range traveler or weekend camper.

Definitely some have bigger beds, or larger baths or bigger volume fridges. However, none of these items, at least for us, define the amount of time we spend on the road or the fun we have.

Of course one should buy the rig that most closely fits their needs and budget but the actual trailer you choose will never be perfect.

It's like the song "love the one you're with...."

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote