Going to the Sun Hiway Restrictions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going to the Sun Hiway Restrictions

Here is a copy of an email I just received from Glacier National Park concerning towing of small trailers over the Going to the Sun Highway, which, BTW will not be open until at least June 13th.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Afternoon,

The total length of both vehicles together may only be 21' long, 8' wide including mirrors, and 10' high. You will be able to drive 16 miles from the West Entrance to Avalanche on the west side and 6 miles from St. Mary to Rising Sun on the east side.

Use this link to explore our campgrounds: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Terry Peterson
Park Ranger

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Interesting Bob, I live in MT and had thought for years they didn't allow any towing regardless of the size across this pass for decades, though I can remember when people used to take huge rigs across this thing. Glad those days are over. I knew the 21 Ft length restrictions but thought trailers were totally off limits. One can however traverse the south side of the park from Apgar to Browning to East Glacier and beyond via highway 2. Its a bit longer, still a scenic drive and worthy of the effort.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Going to the Sun Hiway Restrictions

A 21' total length limit pretty much rules out any kind of camping trailer. Even an 8' box tent trailer is about 11' overall. Know any 10' tow vehicles? For perspective, a Smart for Two is just under 9'. Our 2nd generation CRV is over 15' long.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Not many tow vehicle/trailer combos will be under 21 feet. Prius with teardrop, maybe?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My 17' Escape and RAV4 ( with a cargo rack that adds a couple feet ) comes out at 34.5 feet.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
By Subaru Outback with the 16' Scamp was 32' and I think the truck and trailer are at about 34'.

From the Park website & FAQ section:

Are there vehicle size restrictions on the Going-to-the-Sun Road?

Yes. To help reduce congestion, vehicle size restrictions are in effect. Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking. Vehicle and vehicle combinations over 10 feet in height may have difficulty driving west from Logan Pass to the Loop, due to rock overhangs. Stock trucks and trailers are able to access Packers Roost on the west, and Siyeh Bend on the east.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Several years ago we had to take our 11 1/2 foot pickup camper off our truck before we were allowed to drive through. The length of our extended cab truck with 8 ft bed and with the 4 ft rear overhang of the camper was too much. Also taller than I'd have been happy with.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Couple years back I drove the entire Going to the Sun routine without the trailer from west to east. I'm quite sure I would have had no problems towing my 17ft Burro. But unfortunately that's not allowed. With my trailer hitched up I went from the west to east entrance later in the week, but I had to take the southern route around the bottom of Glacier.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's title is the Going to the Sun Road, not highwy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
But, it is a very high "road".
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
But, it is a very high "road".
Steve, and narrow...We drove the road from west to east for the first time in 2002. I recall an oncoming truck camper at the time, the only RV I've ever seen on the road.

I guess trucks were lower in the old days. Our friend just bought a dodge truck and the bed is 37" off the ground.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Our first trip through was in the late 60's and I remember a Dodge TRAVCO in our campground with a big gouge taken out of the roof from an overhanging rock. I don't recall restrictions then, but we were real (tent) campers in those daze.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote